Can I delete a category that is no longer usable? (Q Mac)

Options
CONNORGRAM
CONNORGRAM Unconfirmed, Member
My list of categories is too long and contains items I have renamed or no longer need.
Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options
    Hello @CONNORGRAM,

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community with this question. 

You can delete categories by navigating to Window > Categories > Right-Click on the category > Delete Category. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Bear in mind that if you delete a category, all transactions that use that category will become uncategorized. As an alternative, you can rename the category to start with a "z" or pretty much any greek letter and it will sort to the bottom of the list, out of your way.

Also, if you have renamed categories that are really the same as another, you can merge them by selecting them both in the Categories Window and clicking the Merge button at the bottom.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    You can delete categories by navigating to Window > Categories > Right-Click on the category > Delete Category. 
    In the same window, you can also just click the minus icon at the bottom (instead of right-clicking). Quicken will want you that the category is own use, and transactions using that category will be left uncategorized. I encourage to to follow RickO's suggestion to either merge the old category into one you use now, or if that's not appropriate, to add a "z" prefix to leave the category but send it to the bottom of your category list.

There is an Idea thread (feature request) from users to add a feature to allow unneeded old categories to be hidden — like you can currently hide old Payees. It has 149 votes, and you should click on it and add your vote if you've like to see such a feature added. (Click the little light gray arrow under the vote counter in the yellow box.)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.