Expired Subscription/Activation codes purchased in 2018/2019

:# I purchased Quicken 2018 and 2019 in the respective years, however did not use the subscription codes as I already had an active subscription which expires in a few days. I went to use the codes and the response back is that they are expired. I chatted with Quicken support and they told me "too bad so sad" since they were purchased in 2018 and 2019 (I have both receipts) they are expired and nothing can be done other than give me a 40% discount to buy another subscription. I asked to have this escalated to the next level and she said she would, but then came back and said she couldn't and disconnected our chat. No where on the 2018 or 2019 retail box does it say that the code expires.

Do I have any options? A company that takes my money as revenue when I purchased, but then expires the codes (i.e. provides no value for the money paid) just seems wrong and should be against some law. I have been a Quicken user for 20 years, but based on this I may need to consider alternatives.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Hi @Giffola .  I think it was sometime during 2018 when the 2-yr expiration of activation codes was implemented but I might be mistaken about that.  I do know that my 2018 Premier does not show an expiration date anywhere on the box nor on the Activation Card.  I purchased my copy of 2018 shortly after it was released so maybe that expiration date was added to the box later in the 2018 production cycle.
    I know for sure the 2 yr expiration date was in place for 2019 as is shown in this picture of the bottom of the back of the box for Quicken 2019 Starter.  I personally think this information should have been more prominently displayed rather than making it part of the small fine print but at least it is shown there. 
    If your 2018 and 2019 boxes don't show the Activation Code dates in this fine print area then I would try approaching Quicken Support again because IMO I think you could make a strong argument with Quicken to make an exception to the 2-yr code expiration for you. 
    But if your boxes do show the expiration dates there then you might not have much of a leg to stand on.  In that case then taking that 40% discount (which is a pretty good one) might be your best option if you wish to keep your subscription active.
    Sorry, I wish I had better information for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Giffola
    Giffola Member ✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Thanks....appreciate the response. I now do see the expiration date on the 2019 version (didn't see it before until you pointed out exactly where to look), however it's not on the 2018. I will try again with Quicken support today.

The 40% off is not that great of a deal, yes it looks that way when you go to renew and it says the price is $59.99. However, if you go to their website, they are offering the 40% off to everyone. Also if you go to any office supply store, their prices are cheaper than Quicken's website with the 40% off.

[Removed - Off Topic]
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @Giffola,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community, though I apologize for any frustration.

If you don't mind me asking, were you able to provide the previous chat agent you spoke to with the receipts you mentioned having for these purchases?

Check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Giffola
    Giffola Member ✭✭
    I did. She stated that because the receipt is over two years old there is nothing she can do. I mentioned that no where on the box did it state the membership code would expire in 2 years. I asked to have the concern escalated, she agreed and started working on the escalation, but then responded that she couldn't escalate it, that I would get the same answer and then disconnected the chat before I could respond (it put me back to the automated bot). I am frustrated being such a loyal customer for so long and being treated this way. Amazed that I an not getting any value for the money I spent on the product.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Giffola said:
    The 40% off is not that great of a deal, yes it looks that way when you go to renew and it says the price is $59.99. However, if you go to their website, they are offering the 40% off to everyone. Also if you go to any office supply store, their prices are cheaper than Quicken's website with the 40% off.

[Removed - Off Topic]
    Those 40% off deals on Quicken.com are almost always discounts offered only to new subscribers, not existing ones.  Although, once in a while Quicken will offer such a nice discount to existing subscribers that is not the norm.  Again, which people those discounts apply to is usually found in the small print.  Many existing subscribers do not see that small print and think they are getting a good deal only to find out when they go to pay for it that the discount does not apply to them.  Makes some existing subscribers pretty upset when that happens.  (BTW, I just checked the Quicken website and saw no discounts offered to anyone right now.  That could change, again, at any time.)
    As long as I have been a Quicken user the retail stores are very often less expensive than from Quicken.com but that is common with most consumer software regardless of who produced it.  That's because the retailers control the selling price, not Quicken.  But, again, look very closely at the fine print because many of those "cheaper" subscriptions from retailers are also for new subscribers only and not for existing subscribers.
    I'm happy to see you now have caught the attention of a Moderator.  Moderators are Quicken employees and can perhaps offer assistance on this matter that I and other users cannot.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giffola said:  She stated that because the receipt is over two years old there is nothing she can do. I mentioned that no where on the box did it state the membership code would expire in 2 years.
    yeah - unfortunately, we have had this discussion several times here on the forum with varying degree of box/card details - didn't have any kind of expiration date - and of course, it was on the inside, so "old stock" on shelf would be purchased, but could not be used... or purchased, but never opened until years after the expiration date.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Keep an eye out for discounts on Quicken for existing users at Office Depot, Staples, and Best Buy.
    I just got Deluxe for $10 off of old pricing at Office Depot (sale ended 6/18) and the activation code worked.  I now have 565 days until expiration.  Maybe there should be a community section of active sales notifications.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

This discussion has been closed.