store live quicken file on a local file server

ringo11
ringo11 Member ✭✭✭
How do I store live quicken file on a local file server?
At one time this worked now fails.

Best Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Chris_QPW said:
    And note that the reason that it isn't recommended is because if there is any kind of network problem, it might correct the data file.
    I believe you meant corrupt.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Quicken does NOT support storing your current data file on a mapped network drive nor a cloud drive. If you do, you risk corrupting your data file. Backups to a mapped network drive or a cloud drive are fine.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    No, I doubt that will ever change since they don't consider it a shortcoming. 

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @ringo11,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

We may need some clarification in order to better assist you further. Are you trying to store your Quicken data file (QDF) on an external and/or cloud-based drive (e.g.: flash/USB drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc)?

Please check back and let us know! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Storing the QDF file you are opening on a network drive has never been supported.  As such, if you want to do it, it is up to you to make work.  And note that the reason that it isn't recommended is because if there is any kind of network problem, it might correct the data file.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Chris_QPW said:
    And note that the reason that it isn't recommended is because if there is any kind of network problem, it might correct the data file.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Chris_QPW said:
    Opps.  Yes, I meant corrupt.
    Signature:
  • ringo11
    ringo11 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    > @Quicken Anja said:
    > Hello @ringo11,
    >
    > Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.
    >
    > We may need some clarification in order to better assist you further. Are you trying to store your Quicken data file (QDF) on an external and/or cloud-based drive (e.g.: flash/USB drive, OneDrive, DropBox, etc)?
    >
    > Please check back and let us know! Thank you.

Some years ago (back in DOS days) I was able to store/update .QDF file on my local-network file server now cheap-seats Synology DS218j hardware. Win 10 Mapped to U:\DS218j\quicken\....
    Now I must store/update on local C:\ drive. While local storage is simpler it makes DS218j backup more complicated.
    Please advise.

Thanks for the follow up.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    Quicken does NOT support storing your current data file on a mapped network drive nor a cloud drive. If you do, you risk corrupting your data file. Backups to a mapped network drive or a cloud drive are fine.
  • ringo11
    ringo11 Member ✭✭✭
    [Quicken does NOT support storing your current data file on a mapped network drive ]
    Is Quicken planing to fix that shortcoming?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    No, I doubt that will ever change since they don't consider it a shortcoming. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    ringo11 said:
    [Quicken does NOT support storing your current data file on a mapped network drive ]
    Is Quicken planing to fix that shortcoming?
    No.  Quicken was created with writing to a local drive where it doesn't have to worry about network problems.  It would take pretty much a total rewrite of Quicken to change it now.
    Signature:
  • ringo11
    ringo11 Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    Thanks for the reply.

[Removed - Solicitation]
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not even aware of a Quicken equivalent, as in another product that has all the same features.
    Of course, what might work for someone depends on what features they actually use.

Discussing other personal finances software on this site isn't allowed.
    Signature:
  • ringo11
    ringo11 Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I'm not even aware of a Quicken equivalent, as in another product that has all the same features.
    Of course, what might work for someone depends on what features they actually use.

Discussing other personal finances software on this site isn't allowed.

Thank yup. Now we all understand why discussing other personal finances software on this site isn't allowed.
This discussion has been closed.