Manually entering option purchases

Mike Sp
Mike Sp Member ✭✭
When the Add Security to Quicken pops up I click to enter Manually. Enter Ticker symbol: Name: is what I entered in the account register. Security type: I pick Option from the drop down. When I hit next it takes me to Bonds. Contacted Quicken Support and they told me Quicken tracks options as bonds. That just isn't going to work. If you download the option purchase from the broker it get tracked as an option. HELP!

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Mike Sp said:
    When the Add Security to Quicken pops up I click to enter Manually. Enter Ticker symbol: Name: is what I entered in the account register. Security type: I pick Option from the drop down. When I hit next it takes me to Bonds. Contacted Quicken Support and they told me Quicken tracks options as bonds. That just isn't going to work. If you download the option purchase from the broker it get tracked as an option. HELP!
    Hello @Mike Sp

I am sorry for any frustration you have experienced. Thank you for reaching out about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, is there a particular financial institution you are noticing this with?

Also, I want to draw your attention to the process of submitting what is called an Idea thread. Users on the Quicken Community can create Idea or Ideation Discussions where they propose a desired feature for possible implementation in future versions of the Quicken software. The other users of the Quicken Community then comment and vote upon the suggestion, and should it prove popular enough, the proposal is then handed off to the development team for consideration. You can submit these Idea threads using the procedures outlined in this link.

I hope this is helpful, and feel free to reach out again anytime. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Mike Sp
    Mike Sp Member ✭✭
    I was trying to enter the option trade manually, the pull down menu has a option choice but when I pick it and hit nest it takes you right to a bond order and will not let you enter your option trade. If I download it from the broker it it tracks the option purchase as an option and not a bond purchase. But I have had so many problems lately with downloads from many different financial institutions that I can no longer trust the program with downloads so I am trying to enter them all manually. Quicken used to work just fine, but as of the last year to year and a half it has been one night mare after another. I can not in my right mind continue my subscription! You all need to get a grip on things or your going to loose many more.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    When you manually create the option security, I suggest you choose Stock.  You may change the security type to Option after the security is created.
  • Trader1
    Trader1 Member ✭✭
    What does that do to help the situation?
  • Trader1
    Trader1 Member ✭✭
    edited July 2022
    [Removed - Duplicate]
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Trader1 said:
    What does that do to help the situation?
    It enables us to create a security for tracking a stock option.
  • Mike Sp
    Mike Sp Member ✭✭
    They have option in the drop down window but it does not work! When you select option and hit next it takes you to bonds. Why???
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Mike Sp said:
    They have option in the drop down window but it does not work! When you select option and hit next it takes you to bonds. Why???
    It's a well known bug.  You were provided with the simple work around last week.
  • Mike Sp
    Mike Sp Member ✭✭
    Sherlock, Do you work for Quicken?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2022
    Mike Sp said:
    Sherlock, Do you work for Quicken?
    No.  I do not work for Quicken.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: Who's who on the Community
  • jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Mike Sp said:
    When you hit Next it takes you to a page to enter the asset class and the bond type/maturity date/call date. Yes, it's jacked up and Quicken is clueless when it comes to options. However, if you simply hit Done and ignore the bond stuff the option security is created and you can proceed with entering the trade information. I do this all the time with futures options which are a total cluster you-know-what in Quicken. You still have to enter the number of shares (or multiplier) the option represents rather than the number of contracts (contracts * 100 for equity and index options).

The workaround Sherlock gave above also works. Hopefully, some day Quicken will actually get around to fixing this. But that assumes someone there actually understands options and that isn't clear at all.
This discussion has been closed.