Gibberish, random characters in replace screen

markhayworth
markhayworth Member ✭✭
I've been using the renaming rules and memorized payees a lot, and also the Replace function a lot. I notice that soon after using the replace a few times, when it makes a table of register entries in the replace pop-up screen, a lot of the items are filled with gibberish. It seems to happen to the "empty" fields and seems to fill with random characters or, sometimes, part of a legit field (like a memo or payee). Even the checkbox on the left (for you to select which items to operate on) has garbage characters to the left of the checkbox. Why does this happen? It's obviously a bug. Any fix? I'm using the latest Windows version (August 2022) because it always automatically updates. How can I attach a screenshot to show you?
Tagged:

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can I attach a screenshot to show you?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    But there is no "row of editing tools above the text entry box of your post". There is just a box with a smiley emoji above it. I'm using Firefox.
  • markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    Also am trying Chrome now. Again, no row of tools is visible above the text box.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Also am trying Chrome now. Again, no row of tools is visible above the text box.
    Hello @markhayworth

I am sorry about this frustration with uploading images to the Quicken Community, and with strange text in the Replace window. 

First, note that you can drag and drop images into your comment before you post it. 

Also, try saving a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions below: 
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I hope to hear more from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    OK I had already made backups and that didn't solve the problem. I validated and restarted now and it's not doing it yet but it doesn't do it right away. I'll use it a bit more and see if the problem reappears. I still don't have a toolbar but I clicked and dragged the screenshot into the message and it seems to be attached. Take a look at it to see the problem.
  • markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    In the above screenshot, the Select, Num, and Tab columns are all wrong. They have furnishings in there which was a category I had chosen prior. Sometimes when it gets really bad, it's not part of actual words like that but just random strange characters.
  • markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    OK it happened again. I had just done a big find and replace where if the payee said "Overdraft Protection Fee" I told it to replace the memo field with "Will be waived". Now when I do control-H again and type in Payee = apple.com and click Find, the select, Num, and Tab field are all incorrect - they say "Will be waived". Why did that happen? See attached screenshot.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your data file is very likely corrupted. What does the resulting log display after you do a Validate? If you see "damaged data block", your file cannot be repaired.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    This is what the validation log says:
    [Mon Aug 22 20:24:45 2022]

File: "C:\Users\Mark\Documents\Quicken\Mark's Quicken Data 1"

QDF:
    Validating your data.
    No errors.

QEL:
    No read errors.

QEL:
    All internal consistency checks passed.

[Mon Aug 22 20:25:01 2022]
    Maximum security reference: 14, number of securities: 14.
    No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Looks fine to me.
    All day today I've been seeing "Quicken's online service is unavailable at this time. Please wait at least 10 minutes then try again. We apologize for the inconvenience." when I try to do an update.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    The "10 minutes" message is simply wrong. To clear that condition, you need to log out of your Quicken and log in again.
    1. Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts
    2. Sign in as a different user
    3. Confirm signing out
    4. Sign back in with your same credentials.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Well, the good news is your validation log is clean. The bad news is you could still have corruption. My file is moderately corrupted and I cannot remedy it. Yet my validation log is clean like yours.

• markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    I was able to update now. On my other computer I had to change my password for the Quicken web site. In the past I needed a different password for the web site and the Quicken desktop program (the vault). Well now, Quicken wouldn't update until I closed it and entered in my web site password instead of the Desktop vault password. Evidently they both use the same password now, correct?
  • markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    I think I've narrowed down the cause of the bug. If I use find and replace to replace a bunch of "Category" fields, then if I use it again and do a find to find transactions from a different payee, the "hit list" of items in the table now has the prior category I assigned as all the entries in the "Selected", "Num", and "Tag" fields. Can you reproduce it? I don't think it's because my database file is corrupted because the transactions in the register are all correct and everything else works as expected.
  • markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    Also, if the memo field in the list of hits is empty, it is also filled with the prior category.
  • markhayworth
    markhayworth Member ✭✭
    Can someone at least try to reproduce the problem? I gave steps where I can repeatedly reproduce the bug on my computer in my last comment.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @markhayworth ,
    what version and release of Quicken are you using? R xx.xx
    If you can be sure that it's not corruption in the data file ... the transactions display correctly in all other views, reports and registers ... let's make sure that this is not caused by some corrupted program module in Quicken.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Can someone at least try to reproduce the problem? I gave steps where I can repeatedly reproduce the bug on my computer in my last comment.
    I think I've narrowed down the cause of the bug. If I use find and replace to replace a bunch of "Category" fields, then if I use it again and do a find to find transactions from a different payee, the "hit list" of items in the table now has the prior category I assigned as all the entries in the "Selected", "Num", and "Tag" fields. Can you reproduce it? I don't think it's because my database file is corrupted because the transactions in the register are all correct and everything else works as expected.

I tried to reproduce it based on this description and could not. My Find & Replace screen looks normal.

This discussion has been closed.