How do I enter a simple balance adjustment in an investment account?

Options
33Degrees
33Degrees Member
edited October 2022 in Investing (Windows)
I have a long running investment account where I simply used XIN and XOUT to record the funds moving in and out between my investment account and my checking/savings accounts. I did not use my investment account to track transactions since I was selling complex options that were difficult at best to record in Quicken.

Now I would like to record something similar to a "Balance Adjustment" at the start of the year and catch up with entering simple equity trades. I was using "Deposit" and just adding the amount of difference, but now, I need to also add a negative adjustment and can't figure out how to best do it. I would rather not use a simple "Misc Expense" or something.

Is there a "Balance Adjustment" type of transaction for an investment line item or similar?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Ctrl+R (Reconcile), enter the ending balance. Once in the reconcile dialog select all the transactions and then Done.  Quicken will ask you if you want to adjust the balance, select Adjust and it will put in a transaction to adjust the balance.
    I would also change this category in the balance adjustment transaction to [Name of Account], which is the proper syntax for hiding the transaction from most reports.

You can also use: Select the gear icon and then Update cash balance and type int the amount you want.

The reconcile will mark all the transactions reconciled, whereas the update cash balance will not.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Ctrl+R (Reconcile), enter the ending balance. Once in the reconcile dialog select all the transactions and then Done.  Quicken will ask you if you want to adjust the balance, select Adjust and it will put in a transaction to adjust the balance.
    I would also change this category in the balance adjustment transaction to [Name of Account], which is the proper syntax for hiding the transaction from most reports.

You can also use: Select the gear icon and then Update cash balance and type int the amount you want.

The reconcile will mark all the transactions reconciled, whereas the update cash balance will not.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Open the investment account register, press Ctrl + Shift + N, and select Update cash balance... or Update share balance...
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For those of us who have trouble remembering keyboard shortcuts, Ctrl-Shft-N is the same as clicking on the gear at the top right of the investing account.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.