Crash Report when starting Quicken

vdot
vdot Member ✭✭
I have been using Quicken for a long time without major issues, but when I started Quicken today it asked for my password as usual and acted like it was going to open my file fine, but within a few seconds the main window closes and I get this 'Crash Report' generated message. Tried a few more times with the same result. I tried double-clicking on a backup file and it did the same thing; other older backups do the same. In fact with customer support's guidance, I even started a *new* data file and it too crashed when the time came to display the accounts. We checked one of the back up files by installing Quicken on another computer and it opened there fine, so I don't think the it is a case of corrupt data file at all. I looked at other discussions here and all suggestions (including Control Folder Access setting) turned up unsuccessful. CS gave up saying restore your Windows and reinstall everything, which I am hesitant to do because of the numerous apps I would have to restore (all of which seem to be working fine, at least the ones I have had to use today). Any other suggestions short of rebuilding the OS?

Answers

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    I don't believe you need to reinstall the Windows OS, rather try reinstalling Quicken's Mondo patch from here and hopefully everything should work.  Did you try that with the support person already on your main computer that has the problem?  Quicken suggests to temporarily disable/pause your AntiVirus program during the installation process.
    You are right that your data is not corrupt since it opens fine on another computer.  The mystery is why it stopped working from the first place which you can think back to the possible set of events that may have led to it.  It helps to know more details about the crash report of course if you can provide it.
    What AntiVirus program are you using on that computer?
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    @BK, yes the tech who helped me did install the Mando patch as well. Windows Defender is the only antivirus software I have running. However, the tech didn't ask me to turn it off while installing the patch. Also, I have reinstalled the software several times since we got off the phone but didn't install the patch (didn't know its relevance and not sure where to find it).
    Can't think of anything unusual I did or install since the last time Quicken worked fine (just 3 days ago), but I did find a Restore point dated just before the last time I used Quicken successfully and rolled back Windows to that restore point and that didn't help either.
  • vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Ok, reworked the following steps: (a) delete all Quicken related files, including data files but not the backups. (b) install Quicken from quicken.com. (c) install manual mondo patch from @BK's link. (d) opened the app, (e) added a new offline checking account, verified that it was created fine, (f) closed the app. (g) tried to open the app by double clicking on the desktop shortcut, (h) same issue as before: the app seems to start, window opens, a few buttons show up at the top, then boom.. the Crash Report window opens! Still looking for ideas :-(
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    vdot said:
    Ok, reworked the following steps: (a) delete all Quicken related files, including data files but not the backups.
    You never need to delete your Quicken data files (or backups) as part of any Quicken cleanup, uninstall or reinstallation process.
    Rest of the steps you did were what I would've suggested.
    What version of Windows do you have (10/11)?
    Also please go to Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features > Turn Windows features on or off - Is .Net Framework 3.5 selected?  if not, please select it.  Close, reboot and try again and please let us know.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    "You never need to delete your Quicken data files.." Ok, good to know.
    "What version of Windows?" Win/10 Pro, 21H1 Build 19043.1889. up-to-date as of today.
    On .NET Framework 3.5, the feature is turned on (see screen grab attached).
    Btw, just to verify the system is not hosed in other ways, I updated a couple of apps this morning without an issue.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    What I would suggest next is to use an old script that Quicken created, called a QCleanUI along with it's instructions to perform a clean uninstall of Quicken.  However, I am hesitant to provide the details here unless supported by the SuperUsers of this community - in case they have alternate suggestions.

So I am calling the attention of @UKR , @Boatnmaniac , @Rocket J Squirrel , @Greg_the_Geek , @Ps56k2 , @Tom Young etc. to please review this post and determine if use of the archived QCleanUI is the right approach (noting that any reference to Intuit in that write-up must be replaced with Quicken).  Thank you.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    I got to thinking if .NET Framework 3.5 is properly selected in my case or not.. When I open the feature, I find two subitems under it that are unselected (see attached screen grab). Is that OK?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Feel free to experiment with it, it won't hurt anything and you can revert it back.  Mine is not selected at all (My ENTIRE 3.5 is unselected! so the image I provided above is pretend).  However back in May Microsoft issued a Windows patch that deselected it and broke things for some Quicken (and others) users who experienced various crashes.  Later Microsoft fixed it.  Hence I asked you to review it.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    vdot said:
    I got to thinking if .NET Framework 3.5 is properly selected in my case or not.. When I open the feature, I find two subitems under it that are unselected (see attached screen grab). Is that OK?

Mine looks similar and Quicken works.

BK said:
    What I would suggest next is to use an old script that Quicken created, called a QCleanUI along with it's instructions to perform a clean uninstall of Quicken.  However, I am hesitant to provide the details here unless supported by the SuperUsers of this community - in case they have alternate suggestions.
    QCleanUI still works and might be worth a try, but there's no guarantee it will remedy this situation.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, QCleanUI doesn't clean up everything. It leaves leftovers in the Windows Registry which can be removed using CCleaner or similar utilities.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Ok, thanks for confirming it's worth trying QCleanUI. I too believe that something in the registry is getting in the way of a clean install, but here do I get it (QCleanUI or CCleaner) from? I see references to QCleanUI in several discussions ("no longer needed", "it is still needed if you just want a clean uninstall",..) but I am yet to find a link to where it'd be located.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    NOTE: Any reference to Intuit, change it to Quicken.  Follow both, First and Second parts.
    CCleaner (I use it too) is a safe free utility you can download from: https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner/download

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Ok, thanks. I will try them out and let you know. Btw, it is awesome that experts, here like yourself and Rocket J Squirrel, are willing to spend your precious time to help out, THANK YOU!
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    To be very specific:
    1- Run the QCleanUI which uninstalls Quicken
    2- Do the Second part to remove Quicken related folders (change Intuit reference to Quicken).  Reboot.
    3- Run CCleaner > Registry tab/section to clean Windows registry.  Reboot.
    4- Download the Quicken.exe installer from your account
    5- If possible, temporarily disable/pause your AntiVirus (Windows Defender)
    6- Install Quicken
    Launch Quicken and see if it works.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A (former?) SuperUser wrote up a real "belt and suspenders" approach to getting Quicken completely off your computer in preparation for a new install.  It includes some Registry scrubbing to boot.

thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    January 2019 edited August 24 in Installing and Updating (Windows)

Quicken states to allow the new version of Quicken to remove the old version.  I always like to uninstall Quicken completely then install / reinstall Quicken and this is what I do to install Quicken, successfully.

Before actually beginning, I would click Help, then click Report a Problem. Fill in the information state why you uninstalling and reinstalling. Why? In case they want to see the log files. They have them.

Do a Manual Backup your Quicken Data File, before beginning.

Open Quicken. Go to File > Backup and Restore > Backup
    your Quicken Data File(s) before starting.

If you are unable to Open Quicken, skip opening Quicken and continue here:

Here:
    Use your Browser of choice.

Create a New Folder on the Desktop or Create a new Briefcase Folder on the Desktop and rename the Folder, New Briefcase, which can be done in Windows 10, too.

Once you have done that, start your Browser and change the location of the downloads to the New Briefcase. Saves you the trouble of having to tell where to Save the Downloads to and makes the downloads, easier to find, right on the Desktop..

If you have purchased Quicken from another Retailer and have successfully, activated the program, you can download from your My Account at Quicken.com.
    If you purchased from Quicken.com, browse to https://www.quicken.com/. Once the Website loads, hover your Mouse over Sign In and then click My Account.

On the Next page, fill in your Quicken User ID and password and click Sign In.

Once you are signed into your Quicken User ID, scroll down until you see DOWNLOAD QUICKEN on the left side. Now on the right-side, click Download for Windows.

Once it is finished downloading, click to Close the Browser, when done using the Browser..

Close Quicken (if open). Do not uninstall it.

Re-open your Browser and click on the link below for downloading QCleanUI.exe

Download QcleanUI.exe from this link:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken?

Click: First: Download and use QCleanUI

Scroll down and see QCleanUI.exe listed in 4. Left-click on QCleanUI.exe to start the Download and click Save. See MSICLEAN.exe listed in 5.  Left-click on MSICLEAN.exe to start the Download and click Save.
    Create a new sub-folder of Briefcase and name it QClean. Move both QCleanUI.exe and MSIClean.exe into QClean. Now simply open QClean. Right-click on QCleanUI.exe  and left-click Run as administrator. Choose to Clean All Versions. Do not use Programs and Features to uninstall your Quicken Program.

Use Programs and Features to remove iSeek AnswerWorks English Runtime, which Quicken installs.

Option to restart the computer, but is not necessary. After the computer restarts, use Explorer to delete / no need to rename the following folders: (Except if you also have other Intuit Products installed, expand those folders and delete the Quicken folders, only.)

To see these folders, open File Explorer, click on View. Click Options. Click View Tab. Dot Show hidden files, folders and drives. Click Apply then click OK.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\AnswerWorks 5.0

C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Intuit

If 32-bit operating system:
    C:\Program Files\Quicken

C:\Program Files\Common Files\AnswerWorks 5.0

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Quicken

C:\ProgramData\Quicken

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Roaming\Quicken

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Quicken_Inc

Empty the following folders, with the exception of Files in use:

C:\Users\User ID\AppData\Local\Temp

C:\Windows\Temp

This is optional only. Option to Run Disk Cleanup and Restart the computer.

I use CCleaner Free downloaded from:  https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner .
    The only place I use Disk Cleanup, is in Safe Mode to remove the Previous Operating System.

When I install CCleaner, it usually comes with the option to install other programs. I uncheck those programs and don't install them.

Once CCleaner Free is installed, I run the Cleaner portion once and then I switch to the Registry portion. I click Scan for Issues. When finished scanning, I click Fix selected Issues. You do have the option of backing up the changes. I don't because I also use Acronis True Image ( https://www.acronis.com/en-us/personal/computer-backup/ ) and restore the operating system, if there is a problem. I run the Registry portion twice for No Issues or Errors.

Don't download the Installer again if you already downloaded the installer (Quicken.exe) from your Account above. This Installer, does not require Activation again.

If you have an active Anti-Virus program like Norton, disable the Anti-Virus portion. Windows Defender Anti-Virus leave untouched. Does not interfere with Quicken Installation, but Norton does.

Right-click on the Program Installer and click Run as administrator.

After it unpacks itself, click Let's go. Now click Install.

If Windows 10, click Done to Launch Quicken.

Dot Restore a data file I've backed up to a CD, to a disk, or online
    Click Get Started.

Browse to where you have backed up to.
    When selected, click Restore Backup.
    Next "Choose a location to save your restored file to" by browsing to that folder to use. Click Save and confirm to overwrite the file. Click Yes.
    Now click Restore Backup.

Sign in again.
    Enter your password and click Sign in.

Select to have the Security Code Emailed to do.

Paste the Code in and click Submit.

Choose to Use Mobile or Don't use mobile.

Click Next, then click Done.

Now click Restore Down (Double Boxes at the top right-side of the screen.

Drag the Quicken Window to where you like it and use the Mouse to re-size the Window to your liking. Adjust Quicken Preferences under Edit to your liking.

Close and re-open Quicken, before using.

You do not need to use the Mondo Patch after installing or reinstalling the Quicken program, because it is automatically updated to the latest version.

Open your browser to download the Mondo Patch.

For Quicken Subscription Editions, go to:
    https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-mondo-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription...

Download and save the latest Mondo Patch. Once downloaded, highlight the file and Right-click on the file and click Run as administrator to install it, only if you need the Mondo Patch at any point. I, myself, never use it. I prefer a clean install.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R30.14  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20279.1
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.685

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it's worth, this is the batch script I created for myself, to remove the residual Quicken folders, AFTER running the QCleanUI utilities.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Oh thanks!
    I see two more folders and wondered if they are worth deleting (jic some legacy code in Quicken is looking them up!)..
    ..\AppData\Local\Quicken_Inc -- dated 12/2016, probably leftover from an earlier version
    ..\AppData\Local\QuickenWndow -- dated 06/2015, probably leftover from an earlier version
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I believe your guess is correct that they are legacy.  I don't have them on any of my systems.  I'd say instead of deleting them now, create some test folder and move them into that folder.  Later you can delete them if not needed.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Ok will hide them instead.
    Btw, I assume this script does what 'Second' step in QCleanUI help file says to do, but more thoroughly, right?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2022
    vdot said:
    Ok will hide them instead.
    Btw, I assume this script does what 'Second' step in QCleanUI help file says to do, but more thoroughly, right?
    Yes that is right, it is comprehensive.  Includes what @Tom Young added (from the superuser TheCreator) minus the Intuit stuff as they are no longer applicable.
    To put another way, I run the QCleanUI (which uninstalls Quicken), then run my batch script (which removes the residual folders), and finally clean the registry using CCleaner's registry cleaner.  Reboot and ready to reinstall.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    In your script to clean up some unwanted files and folders, I had difficulty with deleting files in c:\windows\temp. First, del /q "C:\Windows\Temp\*" found some files in use and would not delete them, which is probably ok. Also, the rd /s /q "C:\Windows\Temp\*" complains the syntax is wrong.. seems to want just rd /s /q "C:\Windows\Temp" but then there are files in use and I suppose it will fail for that reason. How important is it to clean up the Temp folders?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is correct, it is ok, the errors are not important.  Depending on what you system has, it removes files that can be removed and leaves those that cannot.  I couldn't be bothered to write a better error-free script, sorry.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    edited August 2022
    Success! Let me first thank @BK, @Rocket J Squirrel, @Tom Young and others that chimed in to help. Couldn't have got this done without your expert guidance!
    I did what the experts asked me to do: Uninstall, then run QCleanUI and CCleaner. I believe both were necessary to get rid of some residual files, folders and registry entries. In particular, CCleaner found and cleaned up some 500 registry entries related to Quicken which should have been deleted by a proper Uninstall. Finally installed a clean current copy of Quicken and restored my files from the last backup I had. Saved me the headache of having to refresh my Windows OS (recommended by CS rep). Everything looks good at the moment. Will keep an eye out for anomalies in the next few days and report any that I find here.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    I am very happy that your issue is now resolved.  Thank you for letting us know.  I have learned from all the experts mentioned earlier and many whom I forgot to mention - very grateful to them.  Keep these instructions for the future.  Cheers.
    On a side note, I wish we knew what caused this in the first place.  I have noticed similar posts in the past couple of weeks.  I wonder if it has something to do with updating to R43.14 where this particular release appears to have some "unsigned" code and as a result various antivirus programs delete some of its components, rendering the program unstable.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Hello @BK,
    I am back because the problem is back! I last used the app successfully on 9/16/2022 and as far as I could tell it closed normally when I exited the app. Today the exact same symptom as I described at the outset of this post is back... namely, the app comes up asks for my password, seems to have no issue with it, begins to open the file and all of a sudden it dies with the Crash Report screen. I suppose I should try all the steps that got it working again again. Arghh!
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this!  In your initial post you mentioned that it works on another computer.  Perhaps it is your OS install then.  Certainly this is very frustrating and odd.  I suggest that you use it on your "other" computer for a while and if you don't find any issues there, then do consider reinstalling your OS on your main computer.  The OS installation is fairly simple these days (using the Windows Media Creation Tool), where most of the work comes after to install Windows patches and then reinstalling your other programs.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Hmm... but it worked fine for two weeks after the clean reinstall! Unfortunately using the app on my laptop (the other computer) is not a practical solution for me as all my other financial software runs on my desktop. BTW, Quicken has worked fine (ok, 'fine' may be too strong a word but with far less hassle) for years through many updates of OS and the app. Also, you mentioned that you are seeing similar complaints from other users since the R-43.14 release, which strongly suggests the release has something strange going on and it may be specific to Win/10. But I suppose Quicken is not about to investigate that possibility anytime soon if the problem is confined to a sunsetting OS and not pervasive. In any case, thanks for all the guidance!
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    vdot said:
    Also, you mentioned that you are seeing similar complaints from other users since the R-43.14 release, which strongly suggests the release has something strange going on and it may be specific to Win/10.
    The code with that particular release was not "signed" properly and hence only certain Antivirus programs would quarantine the installation files/process.  The workaround was to disable the AV during the installation/update process.  Alternatively you can install an older Mondo patch or the latest one and see how it works for you.

• vdot
    vdot Member ✭✭
    Oh ok. Didn't realize this is an issue during updates as well. Unfortunately, Quicken enters the update mode automatically when I double click on the app icon. I do get a chance to intervene when I am asked for permission to let quicken install. Maybe I can go and disable Windows Defender before I OK it? [I guess I have to remember to re-enable it after the update, which is not ideal but beats having to qo through Uninstall, run QCleanUI and CCleaner, then reinstall].

BTW, someone mentioned in this thread that if I download the installer program from the website just before installing, it should have the Mondo patch incorporated into it. Is that not true?

Also, is it necessary to Mondo patch over the new installation I am about to do today?
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    > RE: I do get a chance to intervene when I am asked for permission to let quicken install.
    Perfect.  So you have the proper Windows setting to upgrade or not which is the right thing.

> RE: Maybe I can go and disable Windows Defender before I OK it? [I guess I have to remember to re-enable it after the update.
    YES & YES.

> RE: BTW, someone mentioned in this thread that if I download the installer program from the website just before installing, it should have the Mondo patch incorporated into it. Is that not true?
    Almost correct.  What really happens is the the main Quicken installer (Quicken.exe) first installs the program, and then looks to see if there is an update and updates it to the latest.  Technically it doesn't use the "same" Mondo patch, rather uses (I think) an incremental update patch which is not visible to us.  But the end result is the same.

The incremental update patch only updates the files that need to be updated.  Mondo patch is a comprehensive update where it overwrites all files, regardless of needing an update or not.  From experience, most experts use the Mondo patch to update, instead of the program's self-update process which uses the incremental update.  Because you are downloading the Mondo patch to your desktop, the installation is less prone to potential errors and therefore the Mondo patch has proven to be a more robust update process.  Again the end result is the same.

> RE: Also, is it necessary to Mondo patch over the new installation I am about to do today?
    Not really, as explained earlier, the main installation will search for the latest update.  Unless you want to downgrade to an older version, then you can install an older Mondo patch over it.
    Hope this helps.

This discussion has been closed.