Chase - should we DEactivate the accounts before attempting reathorize & migration

Options

Answers

• Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Splasher.  That solved it for me.  I deactivated the two original credit card accounts and the two new duplicate accounts in Quicken and renamed the new accounts with a leading X to make them very distinctive.

Then I reactivated the two old ones, did updates on just those accounts and carefully selected the new transactions to add. 

One funny thing.  It did a good job of not bringing down duplicate transactions from the past 90 days except for two transactions each month that are entered in advance as reminders.  That's probably because the dates are slightly different on them.  I simply deleted them as I carefully selected which transactions to accept.

I then simply deleted the two bogus accounts with the leading X's it had created on the first pass.

And Bejing Mac is correct.  They need to do a better job. 

I'm a retired IT manager.  I expect now Quicken to pay me my billable rate of $500 per hour if they want me to do their system testing for them.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    splasher said:
    @Gary587
    The flaw in the process that you followed (thru no fault of you) is that the account was still activated for downloads, so Quicken could not offer it as an account for linking.
    De-activate both the old and new accounts and redo the activation again, this time the existing account should be available to link.
    Quicken should (a) deactivate the account in background if you are setting up this account with the new connection or (b) have a reminder or note to tell you "STOP!  deactivate Chase account connections before you proceed!!"  either way, pretty poor programming on Quicken's part if you are supposed to deactivate before authorizing the new connection. 
    No argument with that, lots of things SHOULD have been done differently, maybe the BoA changeover will be better.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• wangcj
    wangcj Member ✭✭
    Options
    No matter how hard we try this time. I would say Quicken update screw up big time. Usually screw up couple days and there is fix to get back to normal. Not this time, It has been a long while. I think they are too aggressive to make change. I just want it dependable. sucks
  • cardsfam
    cardsfam Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @Gary587 said:
    > Thanks, Splasher.  That solved it for me.  I deactivated the two original credit card accounts and the two new duplicate accounts in Quicken and renamed the new accounts with a leading X to make them very distinctive.
    >
    > Then I reactivated the two old ones, did updates on just those accounts and carefully selected the new transactions to add. 
    >
    > One funny thing.  It did a good job of not bringing down duplicate transactions from the past 90 days except for two transactions each month that are entered in advance as reminders.  That's probably because the dates are slightly different on them.  I simply deleted them as I carefully selected which transactions to accept.
    >
    > I then simply deleted the two bogus accounts with the leading X's it had created on the first pass.
    >
    > And Bejing Mac is correct.  They need to do a better job. 
    >
    > I'm a retired IT manager.  I expect now Quicken to pay me my billable rate of $500 per hour if they want me to do their system testing for them.

Gary and splasher,
    Similar issue and resolution here. When returning to Quicken from Chase, Quicken would not allow "link to existing" for 2 CC accounts. I clicked to "Add account" then thought through how to merge my other CC accounts. Didn't feel like dealing with it so tried to start over by deleting the new CC accounts (admittedly before first cup of coffee). The problem is the accounts are still authorized to share at Chase. Likely should have Deactivated in Quicken before Deleting.

I was able to log in to Chase and Deactivate sharing for these accounts in the Security tab of Chase website.

Then went back to Quicken and set up each existing CC account separately. Worked fine and did not bring duplicate transactions.

Oh, and do a backup before doing any of this.

Intuit, do better!
  • fggates
    fggates Windows Beta Beta
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Horrible experience updating to the new Chase connection method.

I went through the wizard provided but when it came time at the end to link the accounts found to my previously existing accounts in Quicken the Link pulldowns did not list my accounts. I chose not to link and then found that the prior connection method was still in place so of course they would not be listed in the Link options.

I edited the accounts in Quicken to disconnect them. Now it is just horrible trying to reconnect with the new method. Multiple failures.

THEN when I eventually succeed in re-linking my accounts it downloads hundreds and hundreds of prior transactions a second time for each account, all of which need to be manually deleted. If I had had an automatic register entry set up it would have completely destroyed my Quicken data file with hard to find and delete duplicate entries.

For something advertised so far ahead and with so much presumed testing and work at Quicken it is shocking that such an obvious and unfriendly failure should occur.

Bad show.

- Frank
  • Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    They finally admitted the cause.  It turns out the Chase accounts are already linked after you reauthorized them in Chase so you should simply ignore the message in Quicken to add or link them!

"Quicken Kathryn Administrator admin
    UPDATE 8/31/22:
    We've determined that this is a design issue with the migration flow in Quicken for Windows. 

During the Chase migration process, your accounts at Chase are automatically linked to your existing Chase accounts in Quicken.  So, when you attempt to link these accounts on the Add Account screen, your Chase accounts don't appear on the dropdown list, and it appears that you cannot "link" your accounts. 

However, because your accounts are already linked, there is no need to take any action on the Add Account screen; the screen is presented erroneously.  Simply click "Next" to complete the process without making any dropdown selections.

We apologize for the confusion--we are working to improve this process in our next release.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator"
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That does not explain why, when I pressed Next as above (and even with accounts being added), I'd get an error on the Chase website and never get control back to Quicken ... 
  • bcbeatty
    Options
    I deactivated 1 of my accounts, but when I try to Activate the account. Chase fails to Authorize.
    I can get through the steps and get the final "Return To Quicken" page. But when I return to Quicken, it fails to connect.
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So before I screw things up is anyone getting back online if they deactivate Chase?
    It took me a week, with multiple failures, but I was finally able to get all my Chase accounts authorized in the new system. The steps that worked most reliably: 1) deactivate online updates for every Chase account for a login. 2) Use the "+" icon on the Accounts bar or Tools > Account List > Add Account to begin the add/authorize process. 3) Select Chase from the Add Accounts institution list, and tell Chase yes it's OK to share this information with Quicken. 
    Again, it did take me several tries to get all my accounts operational, but the above steps worked for my last three Chase connections. 
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And properly linked, @bob@45 ? And were you Direct Connect when you did this?
  • Gary587
    Gary587 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thye finally admitted the cause.  It turns out the Chase accounts are already linked so you simply ignore the message to add or link them!

"Quicken Kathryn Administrator admin
    UPDATE 8/31/22:
    We've determined that this is a design issue with the migration flow in Quicken for Windows. 

During the Chase migration process, your accounts at Chase are automatically linked to your existing Chase accounts in Quicken.  So, when you attempt to link these accounts on the Add Account screen, your Chase accounts don't appear on the dropdown list, and it appears that you cannot "link" your accounts. 

However, because your accounts are already linked, there is no need to take any action on the Add Account screen; the screen is presented erroneously.  Simply click "Next" to complete the process without making any dropdown selections.

We apologize for the confusion--we are working to improve this process in our next release.
    Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator"
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. asked, "And properly linked, @bob@45 ? And were you Direct Connect when you did this?"

Yes, properly linked, and fully operational.  I was previously Direct Connect, but I did a full disconnect on each and every account before doing the Add Account.
  • Bob@45
    Bob@45 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob139 asked, "Were you able to link your existing accounts, or did you end up with duplicates?"

Yes, I linked my existing accounts. I did not end up with any duplicate accounts nor duplicate transactions. I did have to (re)zero some of my opening balances. 

"FWIW One of the tricks you generally need to do is after you deactivate an account is blank out the "Financial Institution" field and close the box so it gets saved. Otherwise Quicken will force you to use the old connection method and not allow you to pick when you attempt to enable online services through the account's setting."

Yes, I discovered that somewhere along the way, and so I blanked out the Financial Institution field (and also the account number field) of each of the accounts when I disconnected/deactivated them, before doing the Add Account.
  • Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I am surprised without institution and account number that Quicken would find the right accounts to link!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bob. said:
    I am surprised without institution and account number that Quicken would find the right accounts to link!
    You are asked for the institution during the re-add, nothing surprising about it, blanking them out just makes sure that Quicken can't make any assumptions.

• Ceelo
    Ceelo Member ✭✭
    Options
    worked great. Thanks
  • jrineytx
    Options
    Today I was asked to Authorize my 2 Chase Credit Card Accounts. Neither Account would link to my existing accounts. The existing 2 CC accounts were not in the drop down to Link. I cancelled and removed the Account Number and ID on the existing 2 CC accounts. Tried again and my existing accounts are now on the drop down to link the NEW Authorized accounts to my existing accounts.
  • Joe Gr
    Joe Gr Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was able to deactivate my credit card account then reconnect it. However, when it reconnected, it uses the “Balance and the Pending” amount as the Quicken Balance. I recovered a backup copy of my Quicken and tried again. It did the same.
  • David Turner
    Options
    Deactivating prevents the duplicate accounts, but then I get (semi) duplicate transactions. How can I prevent this?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Deactivating prevents the duplicate accounts, but then I get (semi) duplicate transactions. How can I prevent this?
    You can't prevent the dups, just don't have Quicken set to automatically enter the transactions and delete them from the Downloaded Transactions tab.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, be sure to make note of the Opening Balance transaction(s) of the Chase account(s) before trying to reauthorize with Chase for EWC+.  Several folks (myself included) had duplicate transactions downloaded and the Opening Balance transaction amount was changed by the sum total of the duplicate transactions.
    Delete any duplicates and correct the Opening Balance and the account is back in balance, again.
    Two other things that helped me complete the transition correctly:
    • Be sure to use Add Account and not Set Up Now.  (When I used Set Up Now it locked up Quicken and I needed to force close it via Task Manager.)
    • If your default browser if Firefox and reauthorization does not complete, consider changing your default browser to MS Edge or some other browser.  (The conversion process did not like working with my Firefox...logged into Chase OK but then I got a white screen and the reauthorization did not complete.  With MS Edge it completed perfectly.)

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• mmpunch
    mmpunch Member ✭✭
    Options
    Exactly why I did not complete the ReAuthorization of my Chase accounts today. They (Quicken and Chase) still need to improve this Reauthorization process, by allowing the Reauthorized Accounts to be "linked" to existing accounts within the current Quicken File. The "Existing" accounts are not currently shown within the Link to Existing Accounts pull down menu.
  • mmpunch
    mmpunch Member ✭✭
    Options
    Exactly why I did not complete the ReAuthorization of my Chase accounts today. They (Quicken and Chase) still need to improve this Reauthorization process, by allowing the Reauthorized Accounts to be "linked" to existing accounts within the current Quicken File. The "Existing" accounts are not currently shown within the Link to Existing Accounts pull down menu.
  • rpgarrett75703
    rpgarrett75703 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    For those of us that regularly monitor the migration discussions in the Community Support forums we have been able, for the most part, to navigate this Quicken/Chase minefield with minimal damage if any. What about those Quicken users who are not part of the community and out of the blue are presented with the reauthorization prompt to begin the conversion process when they open Quicken? If they just blindly follow the prompts we know that will lead to disaster since duplicate accounts will get created since the original ones were not deactivated first so that they could be linked as well as to other unforeseen issues. Since their process is obviously broken, why can't Quicken share a lot of these tips found here in a message to users when they are prompted to reauthorize their Chase accounts so they can address them before proceeding? Since I maintain both a Direct Connect and EWC+ of my Quicken file, when I open the Direct Connect version this morning I was immediately presented with the reauthorization message.  For the heck of it I just followed the prompts to see if anything in the process changed and of course it didn't so I couldn't link to my existing accounts. Because I knew what to do I just canceled the process and no changes were made. But it kept asking me to reauthorize my accounts so a simple restore from yesterdays backup fixed that. I already have a converted version of my Quicken file but maintain my Direct Connect version until I'm convinced EWC+ is stable enough.
  • mmpunch
    mmpunch Member ✭✭
    Options
    I also Cancelled the Reauthorization today, because it did not show my existing accounts within the pull down to link existing accounts... Therefore, I did not complete the ReAuthorization of my Chase accounts today. They (Quicken and Chase) still need to improve this Reauthorization process, by allowing the Reauthorized Accounts to be "linked" to existing accounts within the current Quicken File. The "Existing" accounts are not currently shown within the Link to Existing Accounts pull down menu.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mmpunch said:
    I also Cancelled the Reauthorization today, because it did not show my existing accounts within the pull down to link existing accounts... Therefore, I did not complete the ReAuthorization of my Chase accounts today. They (Quicken and Chase) still need to improve this Reauthorization process, by allowing the Reauthorized Accounts to be "linked" to existing accounts within the current Quicken File. The "Existing" accounts are not currently shown within the Link to Existing Accounts pull down menu.
    This issue is not universal.  Many have posted they were able to Link to the existing accounts (myself included) while others have not been able to do so.
    After you deactivated your Chase account, did you go to the General tab of Account Details and remove all the FI information in the upper right quadrant (everything above the Contact Name field) before trying to do Add Account?   The number of data fields to be cleared varies from one FI to another but make sure all data within the red box area shown in this example is deleted.
    I had to do that because the FI information for my Chase credit card downloaded via DC was different from what Chase downloads for EWC+.  If Quicken sees data in the FI fields that is different from what Chase downloads for EWC+ it will not allow the option to Link to it during Add Account.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Larry Clement
    Options
    I am experiencing the same issues with the migration as others above. PITA. My complaint is that the new accounts created contain only 30 days data. I have account data from 2009 that I don't want to loose. Yes, I can rename the accounts and hide them creating yet more quicken inconvenience if I need to research the account. CF.

If this migration worked (so far NOT) Quicken would link the reauthorized accounts to the existing account, this retaining the data together.

I appreciate everyone's advice, work arounds, and such, but we pay for the privilege to use Quicken and it should not be necessary to apply band aids to a mature (huh) application.

Any additional advice welcome.
  • rodneyiii
    Options
    The FIRST thing to do is BACK UP the QDATA file before attempting this conversion. After reading through these posts, Online Services deactivation is key to having Quicken allow linking to the existing Chase register. Thanks to those who posted that the Opening balance can get modified since that happened to me after the new connection method was established. I noted the original opening balance from my backup file and re-input that value into the register. All is well there.
    Now, after using Direct Connect and Express Web Connect, EWC is much slower at downloading the transactions. I guess we are now stuck with going backwards to slow down rather than speed up our online time.

One more thing - The Online Services tab now shows a blue highlighted box that says "Download and Import transactions..." My other accts that use EWC also have this box but it isn't highlighted blue and the text doesn't get disrupted when the mouse cursor hovers over it. Can that be fixed?
This discussion has been closed.