I have two securities accounts that will not close

Brian175
Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
I have two investing (security) accounts that have 0.00 balance but Quicken will not close them as it reports that account has security balances.  When I run a holdings report Market Value, Cost Basis are 0.00.  The shares are blank.  What is going wrong?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hello @Brian175,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    Supper Validate will not work.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian175 said:
    Supper Validate will not work. (sic)
    Please explain what "will not work" means. What kind of error messages do you get?
    With the problem involving investment accounts, did you run the regular Validate with "Rebuild investing lots" selected in addition to "Validate file". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    Did you also check to make sure that there are no Placeholders lurking in these investment account registers?
  • Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    When I press Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File, Super Validation will not appear.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Brian175 said:
    When I press Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File, Super Validation will not appear.
    You don't see this:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    I followed your instructions.  This included Delete and Rebuild price history.  Account still show "0" balance and I get the message when I try to close account "This account has securities balances, please clear the securities before you close the account. After more investigation I thought, it was related to a stock split that converted 225 shares for 337 resulting in a fractional share. The other account had a stock split 2770 to 923. In both cases I posted the sale of fractional share the day before stock split.  This manipulation still did not solve problem.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brian175 said:
    I followed your instructions.  This included Delete and Rebuild price history.  Account still show "0" balance and I get the message when I try to close account "This account has securities balances, please clear the securities before you close the account. After more investigation I thought, it was related to a stock split that converted 225 shares for 337 resulting in a fractional share. The other account had a stock split 2770 to 923. In both cases I posted the sale of fractional share the day before stock split.  This manipulation still did not solve problem.
    That doesn't look right.
    If a stock split ends up creating fractional shares, usually the resulting "Cash in Lieu" sale of the fractional shares is recorded by the brokerage one or more days AFTER the stock split. Try changing the date of your fractional share sale transaction to be after the split date.

• Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    I did that.  I sold the fractional shares the day before stock split leaving an even number of shares for stock split.  I still have the same problem.  I need to see a view that shows fractional cents to find problem.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I never close any accounts in Quicken Windows because they don't allow them to be reopened like you can in Quicken Mac.

Instead I just do what it is supposed to do when you close an account.  For a long time user "close" is a pretty new function and is just executing the same things we did for years before it existed.  What's more not only has the close function caused problems like yours it is caused problems years later. Like now people are reporting that they are being told to reauthorize the connection for Chase accounts that are closed.

In general the things that need to be done for "manual closing" are:
    1. Deactivate account for downloading.
    2. For reminders that are using the account delete them or change the account used.
    3. Make sure the account is "zeroed" with either a transfer to another account or maybe a balance adjustment.  For investment accounts that is both the securities and the cash.
    4. Change the Display Options in the Account Details to select Hide in transaction entry lists and Hide account name in account bar and account list.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Brian175
    Brian175 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you.  I followed your advice.
This discussion has been closed.