Budget Disappeared.

Answers

• JZY
    JZY Member ✭✭
    Trying to re-enter the data, it crashes. Try again, this is the error message I receive.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    As I have noted previously, I have been able to run budget reports with no issue from the tool bar.  However, needed to modify budget, tapped the Planning tab and No Budget.  Fortunately was able to restore from a backup from a minute earlier.  I hope mtn_living's understanding is correct.  A fix for this flaw is well over due.
    Quicken User Since - 1991
  • rws333
    rws333 Member ✭✭
    30 plus years of using (from DOS days)........have lost so many budget over the last few years and the problem continues.......unbelievable that Quicken has not figured this out and fixed it !!
    Currently have "no budgetable categories" even though they have been "budgetable" for many years..
    Amazing and SOOO frustrating !
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Just to log current behavior; both yesterday and today (after updating software to latest) I had no budget upon opening. In both cases I know I had good budget before closing out day before. Yesterday I had to go through several backups from prior day to get to one where budget was ok. It was the first backup I made just after doing a one step update but not touched the downloaded transactions. I know the backups I made later in the day had good budgets so this is first time I've had to go more than one backup back to get budget back.

today similar, when I opened up quicken and checked planning tab "no budgetable accounts" immediately appeared. I know I checked budget last night before closing. Today I restored last night's final backup and had budget back immediately.

I suspect something in the latest software update but could just be coincidence. Have sent experience along to Quicken.

I'm probably doing 3-4 backups a day at this point. Then every few weeks cleaning out old backups. I need to try a super validate just to make sure file is ok.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    I was pleasantly surprised when I actually was able to access my budget today to make some needed adjustments while using latest update.  Was not able to yesterday but restored budgets from very recent backup.  I backup multiple times per session.  I suspect that the budget issue continues from a legacy flaw in the program from several years ago.
    It appears you are in direct contact with the Quicken development team.  Did they indicate if the fix was days or weeks away?
  • Mark_9Q
    Mark_9Q Member ✭✭
    I'm also having this problem. I can open the same data file multiple times (in succession, without making any changes) with different behavior: 1) all budgets are gone; budgeting opens up the Create a Budget window, or 2) get message "This Quicken file contains no budgetable accounts or categories. The Budget feature cannot be used at this time."

I'm on Windows 10, Quicken Version R42.21, Build 27.1.42.21, and reticent to update further given the comments here.

Any update on a fix would be appreciated. 27 years worth of data here. Very frustrating. Not inclined to do much debug myself -- it appears Quicken has plenty of knowledge of this problem and should be able to fix it.

Been a while since I've used the forums. Do Quicken personnel these days pay attention here and give elevated responses?
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    If you look back a bit in this thread you will see that Quicken acknowledged this is an issue and investigation for a fix is underway. Several,of us have been contacted by engineering and software quality assurance as recently as this week so the investigation continues with indications they think they’ve found the root cause but have not issued a final fix yet. My gut is that there are several permutations of the problem and maybe they are trying to nail these down. I’ve recently seen similar behavior to what you have. I did a super validate the other day and it found a couple of account errors. Since then I haven’t experienced the weirdness of knowing I saved a backup with good budget access and done nothing else but having budget gone next time I open file. So, we’re it me, make a backup, do a super validate, see how budget is and if errors were found during validate. Also, turn off all web synching. Regularly, like every 20-30 minutes, backup and check budget availability. Then cross fingers they come out with a final fix soon.
  • Mark_9Q
    Mark_9Q Member ✭✭
    > @mtn_living said:
    > ... So, we’re it me, make a backup, do a super validate, see how budget is and if errors were found during validate. Also, turn off all web synching. Regularly, like every 20-30 minutes, backup and check budget availability. Then cross fingers they come out with a final fix soon."

Thank you, mt person for your summary and suggestions. I did a super validate yesterday and all budgets were gone -- Budgeting took me to the Create Budget page. So I am using the non-validated file in hopes the fix will leave my budgets intact.

I do no web syncing with Quicken.

Good to hear that engineering and software QA have contacted some of you. Thank you for taking the time to help them (and the rest of us!).

Hoping the fix comes soon and is comprehensive. I hope not to have to recreate budgets from scratch.

Mark
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    I am using R43.20 and just experienced the problem today. For me, I have experienced this disappearing budget problem for at least two years. Totally unacceptable for a budget program.
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    A little incite on what transpired. I spent several hours this morning updating the budget (closing out the previous month and preparing for the current month). It took a lot of time because I was late doing this process. Once the budget was updated, I adjusted some of the reminders. I then clicked on the "Home" tab and received a message saying that the budget did not exist and follow by a screen to get started creating a budget. Since this thread thus far does not have any successful solutions posted, I will attempt to restore from yesterday's backup and and repeat my two hours of work.

I wonder of Quicken for MAC is having any of these issues.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    A few other suggestions coming from questions I’ve been asked during the investigation of this problem:
    - minimize any other demands on your computer’s cpu and memory while running Quicken, basically don’t run other major software in the background, worth checking, using Task Manager, how much CPU and memory is being used while clicking between tabs in Quicken or doing other tasks. I have not disabled any background software/utilities/processes but I now make sure Quicken is the only applications software running when I am working in it. I also close it out when done working and don’t leave it hanging around open.
    - make sure you have turned off all Quicken cloud synching
    - as noted by many but again worth stating, do not store your Quicken program or data files on any type of cloud synching drive (OneDrive, DropBox, ICloud Drive). You can put backups to a cloud drive.
    - use CTRL+B to trigger frequent backups and add time to your backup naming, when I’m working on the budget itself I’m backing up every ten minutes.
    - double check your budget availability as soon as you open your file by checking Planning/Budget tab so you don’t do a bunch of work elsewhere only to discover budget was gone.
    - I’ve been updating to latest releases, has not seemed to impact the budget bug one way or another, for me.

Use the above suggestions at your own risk.
  • henchm
    henchm Member ✭✭
    The above suggestions by mtn_living are VERY useful. I have done exactly the same as best I can and have had similar partial success (almost tolerable). Over-network data file storage (QDF) and background apps (especially MS Office) seem to be the biggest conflicts. Nevertheless problems with budget loss continue over past few YEARS and it would be very strategic for the Quicken team to expedite a resolution.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    It's great that the Quicken team is communicating with select members of this forum.  I would really appreciate an update directly from that team to this forum to demonstrate their commitment to resolving and a status of how close they actually are to resolution.  I have also been plagued with this issue for over 2 years, and it seems to me Quicken would better foster loyalty and understanding with some direct engagement with this forum.  Sadly, I am seeing a lot of posts from new members, so it seems the problem is affecting more and more people.
  • mtn_living
    mtn_living Member ✭✭✭✭
    Observation: there is a post from Quicken acknowledging the issue and saying it is being  worked on. What more do you want to know other than an actual fix? “Gee, sorry it’s taking so long, we are working on it” Some folks seem to think Quicken is withholding a solution. Is it fixed yet, no, Will it be fixed when they are confident they have the problem solved, likely.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Marketing/Customer Service 101:  Engage with your Customers

How long ago was that post?  Months ago.  Sorry but a monthly status is not too much to ask for a product we pay for but can't rely on.
  • Mark_9Q
    Mark_9Q Member ✭✭
    At Quicken.com the number one reason shown to buy Quicken is to manage spending by creating custom budgets.
    At Quicken.com the second of seven "Why Quicken" reasons is "Create a Budget."
    If you were selling cars and the engine often just quit, how long do you think it would take them to fix it? Months? Acceptable?
    If Quicken truly cared this would be fixed in days at most. (I'm assuming some level of competence is still there.)
    Not acceptable, Quicken.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Once again, just going to the Home Tab from the Budget Tab, I lose my budget in a super-validated file - while the budget remains visible on the screen. See the image.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    After above, restored backup from a few minutes before and Budget was present - but once again, the cloud sequence backup was initiated and bank accounts, etc backed up to Quicken cloud, in spite of Preferences clicked to the contrary. Just what data does Quicken have access to when my files are backed up to their cloud with all of my banking info? When copies of files with financial info are made without my consent, and those copies filed on servers which are not mine, it is only natural in this day and time to be concerned.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mobleyw said:
    After above, restored backup from a few minutes before and Budget was present - but once again, the cloud sequence backup was initiated and bank accounts, etc backed up to Quicken cloud, in spite of Preferences clicked to the contrary. Just what data does Quicken have access to when my files are backed up to their cloud with all of my banking info? When copies of files with financial info are made without my consent, and those copies filed on servers which are not mine, it is only natural in this day and time to be concerned.
    If you use Express Web Connect, the transactions and attachments are going to be synced to the Quicken Cloud dataset no matter what setting you have for "Sync to Mobile/Web".
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Robert
    Robert Member ✭✭✭
    Same problems as all the others.....so sick of doing so many backups....I open quicken, check for the budget, if there, I do one-step update, then backup, then check budget, then enter downloaded transactions, then backup, then check budget......  I end up restoring from backup many times per week.  What a waste of time......
  • karolmenez
    karolmenez Member ✭✭
    Seems to have become worse with the last couple of version updates. Now quicken has also started crashing after a one-step update. Budget disappears at least a couple of times before I end up completing a one-step update (i.e one-step update -> check budget -> backup -> update a few accounts -> check budget -> backup -> update a few more -> check budget -> backup etc). In the process the budget disappears at least a couple of times forcing me to restore from a backup. Total waste of time.
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Just this AM: tried a simple Restore to my laptop to work elsewhere on Quicken. File Restored with most recent backup from PC resulted in same, familiar error message, and no budget. Restored Laptop with exactly the same file again and budget was present. As usual, backup to server sequence associated with the first Restore and failure of budget to appear. Second Restore of same file with successful Budget Restore - no backup sequence.
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Has Quicken offered any status update lately?
  • mobleyw
    mobleyw Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks to Chris_QPW who relayed in response to my inquiry regarding Cloud backup even when "Sync to Mobile Web" checked "OFF": "If you use Express Web Connect, the transactions and attachments are going to be synced to the Quicken Cloud dataset no matter what setting you have for "Sync to Mobile/Web"...

I never use Express Web Connect, preferring to connect to each institution's website directly and download transactions from there.
    I only note the cloud backup sequence taking place when Budgets become unavailable, and the annoying popup occurs.

Having been burned before with security breach at "OPM" (Office of Personnel Management) and Capital One Credit Card Company breach, and other smaller company breaches, I remain concerned what financial data is backed up to the Quicken Cloud and possibly accessible to Quicken personnel as well as others. While it may be present in fine print, I am unable to find where I provided permission for my financial data to be backed up to the Quicken Cloud.
  • I also am loosing the budget "This Quicken file contains no budgetable accounts or categories. The Budget feature cannot be used at this time". I can restore a quicken file to see the entire budget, but it then corrupts my links to the banking connections. This is reoccurring every few days! I also turned off web connect several months ago. How do we escalate this problem to get a resolution?
This discussion has been closed.