Chase has duplicated my account in Quicken, what should I do?

hugh_mul
hugh_mul Member ✭✭✭
I only have one Chase account, a credit card. I already updated my account in Quicken (Windows) and here is what happened. First: a new Chase account was created. Second: a bunch of past transactions were downloaded into it. Third: my old account was left intact. Now my updates send the same transaction to both old and new accounts. I am prompted to update my Chase account again every time I download but am afraid to "update" again as requested because I don't know what will happen. Will another new account be created? Will my old account and all it's transactions be deleted? What should I do?

Answers

• Hello @hugh_mul

Thank you for contacting the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

We do currently have an active alert regarding Chase creating new accounts when users have completed the migration. You may follow this link to access that alert where you may bookmark the alert in order to remain up to date on any new information, ETAs, or resolutions that may occur. 

I apologize for any inconvenience that may be caused during this time. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Before starting, make a backup of your data file, in case something gets more messed up!

First, you'll want to disconnect the old account from downloading. Then you can select all transactions in the old account, and drag-and-drop them onto the new account in the left sidebar. The new account will continue to download new transactions, and all your transactions will be in one place in the new account. Then you can delete the old account. 

But, of course, you have the issue of duplicates between the accounts to deal with. One suggestion would be to set all the transactions in the new account set Flag for Review, you you have a visual indicator in the status column. Then when you drop all the transactions from the old account into the new one, you'll be able to more easily go through the past three months of transactions to eliminate all that are duplicates. 

One more issue is that doing it the way I wrote above, you will lose the history of your reconciliations in the old account. (The individual transactions will retain their reconciled status; you'll lose the Reconciliation History of which transactions were reconciled together.)  Some users might not care about this, but if it's important to you to retain your reconciliation history, you might try doing it a little differently. (I think this will work, but I'm not certain, so make sure you make a backup before doing this!)  Disconnect both accounts from downloading. Move the transactions from the new account into the old account (the opposite of what I wrote above), eliminating the duplicates. Delete the now-empty new account. Now re-connect the remaining (old) account to Chase for downloading, being sure you select to Link to your existing account, not to Add an account. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.