Need a way for a user to do a controlled abort of one step update (8 Legacy Votes)

Rick Gumpertz
Rick Gumpertz Member ✭✭✭
As suggested by "gary" in another conversation, there should be a way for a user to do a controlled abort of one step update instead of CTRL-ALT-DEL.
88 votes

Planned · Last Updated

This request has been accepted by the Development team for future implementation. However, Quicken's product development teams do not provide an estimate of when new/enhanced features will be completed and released. QWIN-22238

Comments

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited July 2018
    I agree, when mine hangs, which is frequent, I have to "end task" from task manager and that  occasionally causes damabe to data file...

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.13. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• Rick Gumpertz
    Rick Gumpertz Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    If you agree, please "VOTE" for the idea and we'll see if it gets any attention!
  • Rick Gumpertz
    Rick Gumpertz Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2018
    We need a way to cleanly abort One Step Updates.  Please implement the "X" (currently greyed out) for Exit to the top right of the One Step Update Progress window.

Given the performance problems uncovered in https://getsatisfaction.com/quickencommunity/topics/enlarging-the-one-step-update-progress-window-se... please also add "_" for Minimize to the top right of the One Step Update Progress window.  (To be useful, please also suppress updating that window when it is minimized.)
  • Cookiej
    Cookiej Member ✭✭
    edited October 2020
    There should be an option to stop/close the update page when it gets hung up. Otherwise one has to close the program when it just keeps trying .
  • rgumpertz
    rgumpertz Member ✭✭✭✭
    Given the number of times over the years that bugs have caused OSU to hang over the years, why has Quicken never added a way to CLEANLY abort an OSU? Please developers, fix the basics before you play with the bells and whistles!
  • Cookiej
    Cookiej Member ✭✭
    When One Step Update is not working and just hung up, there is no way to stop it. There is nothing there to click on to end process. You cannot do anything else but close the whole program.
  • An FYI update: this morning I was experiencing short intermittent power failures. One happened during OSU and it locked up and required task manager intervention. Just like the problem. It cleared on rerun.

My suggestion: add a sensor in the OSU module so it can detect that it’s hung, display an error message and exit back to the main Quicken window.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    There needs to be a way to stop One Step Update.  Currently the only way to abort OSU is to go to task manager in and click End Process for Quicken.  Also OSU should be run in the background.  Currently once OSU is running you can not do anything else in Quicken until it is finished.
  • Dean Hinson
    Dean Hinson Member ✭✭
    > @DavidGeschke said:
    > I narrowed it down to one account creating the crash for me: Edward Jones Investments.

My One Step Update has been running for over an hour.
  • Lynchs826
    Lynchs826 Member ✭✭
    edited November 2020
    There was an error rendering this rich post.

Thank you for removing my post without providing an answer or pointing to a thread where is was answered. 

Still waiting for an update on the PNC connection failures from last week and whether the issue today with OSU is somehow related.  OSU has been declared "fixed" but PNC Direct Connect - which was working previously - now fails.
  • khg
    khg Member ✭✭✭
    When a One Step Update hangs, why is there not an option to cancel the update? The only option seems to be shutting down the entire Quicken application? Why is this?
  • studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Suggest it! 

https://community.quicken.com/categories/product-enhancements-(windows)

(I assumed that it was already suggested and was working its way up the priority list, but I couldn't find it). It seems pretty straightforward to implement, I don't know. If you create the suggestion, I'll upvote it! :smile:

wags Glad to be here!

• khg
    khg Member ✭✭✭
    When One Step Update hangs, there is no way to cancel the process. I have to close down the entire Quicken application. Why is this? Why can there not be a "Cancel" option during One Step Update?
  • khg
    khg Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. I added it.
  • studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Sounds like a good idea, helpful when OSU is taking longer than expected, and much safer than using Task Manager to terminate the application.

wags Glad to be here!

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect there's no Cancel function because Q doesn't have the Lock, Commit and Rollback functions that would be required for this.
    Either Cancel, or Task Manager Cancel, will leave Q in an "incomplete update" state, which is a cause of a corrupted data file.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'll tell you why it's been tried and failed.
    Years ago for a short time you could even do other things while one step update was running.

The problem is that when they designed Quicken they made it so basically it fires off multiple things in parallel and doesn't have a good way of terminating those parallel processing.  In some ways with the current design it's amazing that one step update even works and it doesn't in times for instance when multiple authentication sometimes has to happen there have been reports that it doesn't stop at the right place and stuff like that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    If I recall correctly, Q did have this ability at some point, but then removed it, probably for the reasons @NotACPA listed. 
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    mrzookie said:
    If I recall correctly, Q did have this ability at some point, but then removed it, probably for the reasons @NotACPA listed. 
    That's right, because it was a failure.

In truth there is two "levels" for this, and in fact I believe the updating of the database is only part of the problem.

Besides having a cancel the other thing people wanted was to keep working while it did its work in the background.

There is two aspects to both of these.  The database and the GUI.
    Quicken was definitely designed as a "single user/single activity".

In other words it is designed that "User does something, and then User waits for results".  And in between the Quicken has "free rain to change anything without worrying about it being in an inconsistent state.".

For "allow us to keep working" it is very easy to see that there can be problems the way it works right now.  What if the user is in the middle of changing a transaction when the download puts in transactions that shift the focus and other such things.

As for the allow cancel.  I think it is like:
    Start action 1, Start action 2, ....  sometimes in parallel sometimes not.

Wait for all actions to finished, and then continue and such.
    The problem comes back to "what is this "action" doing at any given time".
    It could be updating the database, and for sure you would want it to finish, but wait updating the database is only part of it, the GUI updates at the same time, so again you want that to complete, and note that might multiple levels updating of various things.

But most important, what is the most likely cause of it getting hung up in the first place?  Waiting on a response from the network.  And since this actually a multiple step operation, again you might not know when it is safe to kill that "action".

This one of the things that have be designed from the ground up.

The truth is when it gets hung up like that it probably is just as dangerous for them to kill the actions/threads as it is for you to do the same thing with the task manager.

But would it make sense for them to put in a Cancel button that when you hit it, its says "OK I will do this, but it might corrupt things".
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Actually come to think of it the GUI part could be taken care of if they did have a proper database rollback.  They roll it back and then just restart Quicken.
    Signature:
  • jrdowdell
    jrdowdell Member ✭✭
    Lately when it hangs, it hangs for good. There is no waiting it out, and it just can't be allowed to sit like that forever. It's not that it would be "nice" if there was a recovery option, there "must" be a recovery option, and killing the program with the task manager is not a very good recovery option.
  • I have been having this issue also since the last software update. It just hangs and ever completes the process. Therefore, I am not able to enter any data. With each new software update, I am having more and more issues with the software. It is very frustrating and considering other options for financial software if things that should take me 30 min now takes hours.
  • I am having the same problem as RhondaDVS, I called support a couple days ago(case # 8344246) Everything the support analyst tried did not fix this issue then they had to go because their office closed. No follow up, nothing. I am very upset , I have never had such a problem in more that 20 years using this product.
  • gregorylu
    gregorylu Member ✭✭
    I've had the same problem for over a week now. I update seven institutions daily via one-step. The same two always lock Q with a CC-501. Task mgr is the only way out. However, this is not a multi-thread problem within one-step. If I try to update either of the two problem institutions individually, Q still locks. The other five updated individually work fine. The problem appears to lie somewhere in the communication between Q and certain specific financial institutions.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would like to point out that the thread is about adding a cancel button, not about current hanging problems.  Those should be reported in another thread.

Quicken should never hang, that is a bug that should be fixed.  What was being discussed is why it is hard to put in a cancel button that isn't any worse than someone using the task manager to kill Quicken.  This kind of killing Quicken is always dangerous no matter if the user does it or if they arrange some button to basically have Quicken do it instead of having a good way to gracefully quit it.
    Signature:
  • gregorylu
    gregorylu Member ✭✭
    I disagree. The CC-501 issue above causes a complete Q application lock-up. Even File/Exit or X'ing (top right) out of the application won't work. Force-closing the app or shutting down the computer are the only options available. Having a "cancel" option in the one-step update screen would indeed be helpful, but that button would also be inoperative if the app is locked.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @gregorylu I think we are basically saying the same thing.  Even though it would be nice to have a properly working Cancel button, but given all we know about how Quicken works (or doesn't work, like locking up), it is doubtful that they can implement this without it causing more problems.  And this goes all the way back to the design and the features the database they have.

On the other hand the recent lockups of Quicken should be able to be fixed.  Quicken wasn't locking up before, so there is a change that caused it, and that should certainly be able to be fixed.  But that discussion is better handled in a thread about that. There are several threads discussing that problem.
    Signature:
  • gregorylu
    gregorylu Member ✭✭
    The missing Cancel button may not be accidental. You'll notice that even the "X" in the upper right corner of the download window isn't functional (it's grey'd out) once one-step starts eliminating any shutdown of that window. The Q developers may have avoided the Cancel button so as not to interrupt the handshake between Q and the bank that keeps track of new vs. previously downloaded transactions. Stopping mid-download could foul up that synch without first backing out what had been done prior to the Cancel click. (...could be done but might be tricky).

This one's interesting. I'm curious to see what they come up with.
  • gregorylu
    gregorylu Member ✭✭
    Just noticed I said basically the same thing as NotACPA said more succinctly above. Sorry to be repetitive.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    gregorylu said:
    The missing Cancel button may not be accidental. 
    I can guarantee you that isn't accidental, and it isn't there for exactly the reasons you stated and more.
    Signature: