Problem reauthorizing Discover accounts

Options
PAUser
PAUser Unconfirmed ✭✭
It appears that this "reauthorization" process has progressed to Discover. I was asked this morning to reauthorize my Discover accounts and attempted to do so. However, the process identified two accounts (which is correct) but would not allow me to link one of them to my existing account in Quicken. My only option was to link it to a non-Discover account.

Weird!

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• arn
    arn Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have two Discover accounts and can't get either to reauthorize, I'm using the card's 16 digit account number and my current Discover password and errors out saying did I enter the account number correctly. When I edit the Discover account in Quicken it has Discovr15 digit account number populated in the account number box
  • L80
    L80 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Same problem. Why am I not surprised after the Chase reauthorization? To top it off the deadline for reauthorization is today.
  • Quicken Jasmine
    Options
    Hello All, 

Thank you for reaching out to the Community to share that you are experiencing this issue with your Discover account(s). 

f you don’t mind, could you please provide a screenshot of the screen you receive when trying to reconnect your accounts? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.  

I am looking forward to seeing your responses. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    I got the notice today for my one Discover Card account. Rather than follow the reauthorize dialogue, I went to account register gear icon to Edit Account Details. Under the Online Services tab I clicked the change connection method link. It smoothly deactivated direct connect and reactivated with EWC. No duplicates were downloaded.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I find it strange that they are trying to run people down the "reauthorization" path.

Unlike financial institutions like Chase and Bank of America, Discover isn't changing connection methods, they have just decided to drop Direct Connect.  They have always had Express Web Connect.

With Chase and Bank of America they are actually adding the new connection method Express Web Connect + and dropping both Direct Connect and Express Web Connect.

Reauthorizing for Express Web Connect + is needed because instead of using a username and password, you go to the financial institution and authorize the connection between Intuit and the financial institution for a given account  And once done Intuit and the financial institution exchange a rotating security token for the log in.  Note that Intuit is Quicken Inc's "aggregator" for downloading transactions.

Clearly this change over is much more involved than just changing from Direct Connect to Express Web Connect, and completely different.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This of course assumes that the information sent out in the email is correct and they aren't really changing to Express Web Connect +.
    Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RE: they have just decided to drop Direct Connect
    I haven't seen anything about changes at Discover.  This is news to me.  Is this for the bank, card or both?
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I should have said that I got the information about Discover second hand so I can't confirm the details.
    Signature:
  • PAUser
    PAUser Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    Quicken Jasmine, I'm uncomfortable with providing a screenshot of the update box because it includes my account user name. However, the box states:

Your financial institution connection(s) need an update

The following financial institutions are transitioning to a different connection method. To continue downloading information, please update the connection for the following:

Discover Bank - [user name]

Update your Discover Bank accounts by 9/26/2022, after which you will no longer be able to connect using your connection method.

Discover Bank Savings

And then to the right of the above text is a clickable box with the word "Reauthorize" in it. Alternatively, at the bottom right hand corner is a clickable box with the words "Remind me next time" in it.

• PAUser
    PAUser Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Options
    I got the notice today for my one Discover Card account. Rather than follow the reauthorize dialogue, I went to account register gear icon to Edit Account Details. Under the Online Services tab I clicked the change connection method link. It smoothly deactivated direct connect and reactivated with EWC. No duplicates were downloaded.
    Markus, my accounts were already set to EWC.
  • tommoore
    tommoore Member ✭✭
    Options
    Markus, thank you very much. Simple, direct, and it works.
  • dalehawaii
    dalehawaii Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the approach described @markus1957 as it's probably easier to do it that way. 

However, since I had to deal with the EWC+ (and now this EWC, without the +) change for other accounts, I decided to follow the approach that had worked in the past to deactivate the account and then reactivate and link with the legacy account. If I simply tried to reactivate without deactivating, it wouldn't work as I'd probably have to set up a separate (duplicate) account.

Unfortunately, I did have a duplicate entry, which I deleted; however, everything else is good, fingers crossed.

Quicken user since 1996
    Quicken Home & Business Subscription
  • L80
    L80 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    I tried markus1957's approach but had a problem. While Quicken reactivated with EWC, two duplicate charges were downloaded and my Discover account balance is different from the Discover online balance in an amount equal to those two duplicate charges even though the duplicate charges already reconciled in my account are still in Discover account. When I deleted the two duplicates, my Quicken Discover balance is now still different from the Discover online balance but two times the sum of the two duplicate charges. I finally figured out that my original account balance was being altered by this whole process. Why and how can this be allowed? So all I needed to do was restore my original Discover account balance and delete the two duplicate charges. I probably should have figured this out before but I had no idea an original account balance could by changed without me knowing it. I wasted a lot of time and went through a number of file restorations for fear that the account would be screwed up. In addition, I'm now getting a number of duplicate transactions for other accounts during one-step update. Fortunately, I can delete them without any further problems. Call me [Removed - Language] but I don't think this is what I should be paying for.
  • Misterbill
    Misterbill Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Count me as another one with problems. I reauthorized and after initially not finding my existing credit card accounts to link to in Quicken (had to deactivate online services for them and tried again), it then proceeded to download two transactions to the wrong credit card account. And yes, I verified that it was linked to the correct account number.

This whole EWC+ rollout has been a major disaster. I haven't tried my Bank of America accounts yet for fear of how those will get [mess]ed up. 
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello everyone, 

I do apologize that you are being affected by these issues with online banking services. Thank you for discussing this with us here on the Quicken Community. 

Currently, there is an Open Alert regarding this matter with updated instructions that were recently posted, all of which can be found here. Is anyone experiencing this issue even after these steps are attempted?

I hope to hear back from you about this, if any of you should have the opportunity to check back in with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • digitalmediaphile
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:

> I hope to hear back from you about this, if any of you should have the opportunity to check back in with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 
    >

Discover is working with the new, less secure EWC, but today OSU brought down 2 ancient transactions.

1. Why was Direct Connect dropped from Discover?
    2. Why was there insufficient notice of this change?
    3. I feel that Quicken needs to do more than apologize. How about a rebate or subscription coupon to offset the time and aggravation this sudden poorly implemented change caused?
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:

> I hope to hear back from you about this, if any of you should have the opportunity to check back in with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 
    >

Discover is working with the new, less secure EWC, but today OSU brought down 2 ancient transactions.

3. I feel that Quicken needs to do more than apologize. How about a rebate or subscription coupon to offset the time and aggravation this sudden poorly implemented change caused?
    Hello @digitalmediaphile,

I am sorry to hear about this continuing frustration with the Discover transition. Thank you for asking about this here in this Quicken Community.

Regarding Questions 1 and 2: the decision to make changes to connection methods were on the part of the banking institution. Neither myself nor Quicken's personnel are privy to the considerations attendant to this decision. 

With respect to refunds, rebates, discounts, or any other requests related to purchases and subscriptions, it would be necessary to reach out to Quicken Support using the link provided here.

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • digitalmediaphile
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    >
    > With respect to refunds, rebates, discounts, or any other requests related to purchases and subscriptions, it would be necessary to reach out to Quicken Support using the link provided here.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Quicken Jared 

Waste of time and effort.
  • Misterbill
    Misterbill Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

4. Why was it rolled out to more banks so quickly after the Chase disaster that people are still recovering from.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

4. Why was it rolled out to more banks so quickly after the Chase disaster that people are still recovering from.
    The financial institutions determine when they want to switch, not Quicken Inc.
    Signature:
  • L80
    L80 Member ✭✭
    Options
    After thinking I had finally gotten the Chase and Discover reauthorization problems solved, I am now getting duplicate transaction for all of my Chase and Discover cards every day. Thank you...someone.
  • digitalmediaphile
    digitalmediaphile Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2022
    Options
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    > Hello everyone, 

>
    > Currently, there is an Open Alert regarding this matter with updated instructions that were recently posted, all of which can be found here. Is anyone experiencing this issue even after these steps are attempted?

The sudden change in connection methods dropped categories and I have a months worth of items to recategorize. I spent two more hours trying to figure out why my checking a/c end balance was too high and it was because the category I use for payments is a transfer to [Discover]. None of your instructions deal with this.

[Removed - Rant/Disruptive]
  • don409
    don409 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I did the reauthorization and connected to my existing Discover account and it hugely screwed up my Discover account giving me some positive (they owe me) balance of several hundreds of dollars. I had to go back and reload a backup copy of my Quicken to put everything back the way it was.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    don409 said:
    I did the reauthorization and connected to my existing Discover account and it hugely screwed up my Discover account giving me some positive (they owe me) balance of several hundreds of dollars. I had to go back and reload a backup copy of my Quicken to put everything back the way it was.
    The first thing to check is if the opening balance transaction has changed.  There is a bug in Quicken that is doing that to some people especially when you change connection types like this.
    One suggestion is to put the opening balance in the memo of that transaction so that you know what it is after you do the conversion.

If that isn't it you are going to have to look for duplicate transactions.  If you reconcile the account before the conversion then you can just look for unreconciled transactions.  You can also sort "by Order Entered" which will put any new transactions at the bottom of the register.
    Signature:
  • DubKell
    DubKell Member
    Options
    Hopefully this will help others. I had gone through a reset, deactivate/reactivate, remove biller. All the same result, needed to reauthorize. I went to my cloud sync section and found some other Discover entry with a checking listing. This is not in my normal account listings.
    I then went to tools-->account list, found TWO Discover entries, with no names. I deleted both.
    I now re-linked my discover account to my account and the error is gone.
  • c mckay
    c mckay Member ✭✭
    Options
    Having the same issue (that Discover no longer creates a .QXF file) but that was solved by changing connection type. NOT happy about being forced into using Quicken to download transactions - I prefer you NOT have my account information and password. AND not happy about having my personal information stored in your Cloud storage. Did I understand correctly that this was Discover's change - not Quicken's?
  • mafleming
    mafleming Member
    Options
    The change has also introduced the 'Chase Pending Transactions' error into my Discover download.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918391/ongoing-9-1-22-chase-online-balance-including-pending-transactions
This discussion has been closed.