Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee

Answers

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

Also I would point out that is statement isn't correct either:
    mshiggins said:
    Before the subscription version, there was no need for the data access guarantee as you could install and use any sunsetted version as long as you could coerce the OS to support it. So saying the data access guarantee has only ever applied to subscription versions is irrelevant to this discussion. 
    At no time did Intuit or Quicken Inc imply that you be able to use/access your data forever using Quicken 2017 and below.  In fact, given the good old lawyers the terms of service say that exact opposite that they do not guarantee that it will even serve your purposes.

Again the "coercing the OS" is an assumption made by the users.  Nothing that was ever stated.
    And it was the failure of the users to understand what having to being forced to log into a Intuit/Quicken Id implies to register/access their data means.

You seem to be reading something into my statement that isn’t there. I did not say that Intuit or Quicken stated or implied that you would be able to access your data forever. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @mshiggins I probably stated that part wrong.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Zid Angeles
    Zid Angeles Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > They changed the login system for some reason and that broke the login for the older versions of Quicken.  To them this is no different than if there was OS change that broke an old version of Quicken.
    > They weren't actively trying to break old versions, but they are also not going to spend any resources to fix anything in the old versions if something they are doing for the current system breaks the old versions of Quicken.

They don't care if the older versions of Quicken will get broke by their new system, but they keep us connected to them. Why keep us connected online if they will just discontinue supporting us? Why not leave us alone keeping the app and files and let us live on our own if they will no longer accommodate us?

My statement is based on your opinion only and not concluding that's their side. But it's just so weird.
    - Q2017 user
    - from PH
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Zid Angeles to "disconnect" the older versions of Quicken from the online system will take "some amount of work", and as of now don't seem to be willing to do any such work.

Of course I don't know what is really going on in the background that they aren't telling us about, so we are left to speculate on if they are actually doing anything or not.

But @Quicken Jared's post is pretty definitive.  Upgrade.

And I even though I don't really agree with it, I can see this attitude from a business standpoint.  If you aren't paying them money, you aren't their customer.  The individuals working for Quicken Inc might feel bad about that, but that isn't going to get the company to change its "mind".
    Signature:
  • Nick5
    Nick5 Member ✭✭
    edited September 2022
    > But @Quicken Jared's post is pretty definitive.  Upgrade.
    >
    > And I even though I don't really agree with it, I can see this attitude from a business standpoint.  If you aren't paying them money, you aren't their customer.  The individuals working for Quicken Inc might feel bad about that, but that isn't going to get the company to change its "mind".

The issue here is that we still own a piece of software they have no business controlling. If you don't want to continue to support it, release a patch that no longer needs a quicken ID to open the file.

I was unaware of this issue and my hard drive crashed yesterday. Got a new one and reinstalled OS and programs and found this.

They should not be allowed to lock me out of my file now because they want to upgrade. That is not their right.

No one asked them to support these versions. It was their choice to tie it to an online ID.

[profanity removed]. They'll never see a red cent from me again because of this tactic.

I smell a class action lawsuit in the near future.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nick5 said:
    They should not be allowed to lock me out of my file now because they want to upgrade. That is not their right.
    Actually it is their right.  Read your license agreement.
    Signature:
  • Nick5
    Nick5 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > Actually it is their right.  Read your license agreement.

Is it? I'll bite.. Show me.

If you are referring to being able to change the agreement at any time... maybe you should look at case law... this hardly, if ever, stands up in court. And its definitely not the 3 legged chair Quicken should try and stand on.
  • Nick5
    Nick5 Member ✭✭
    > @Nick5 said:
    > > @Chris_QPW said:
    > > Actually it is their right.  Read your license agreement.
    >
    > Is it? I'll bite.. Show me.
    >
    > If you are referring to being able to change the agreement at any time... maybe you should look at case law... this hardly, if ever, stands up in court. And its definitely not the 3 legged chair Quicken should try and stand on.

Bottom line, why do you think EULA's are so long and difficult to understand at times? For the simple fact that companies are banking on no one reading them.

There have been countless individual and class action lawsuits that have been argued, and won, by the little guy, because the contents contained within EULAs are ambiguous.

EULAs are nothing more than throwing spaghetti and the wall and hoping something sticks in court.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nick5 said:

…The issue here is that we still own a piece of software they have no business controlling. …
    I hate to break it to you, but you never "own a piece of software".  You bought a license to use it under the user agreement that was in place at the time.  If you had bought it, it would have cost you well over $1M and you would have the source code and you could make the changes yourself (or hire a programmer to make them).

The one work around to this is having a copy of the files in the Quicken config folder, it is a shame you didn't have a backup of your previous computer configuration.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Nick5
    Nick5 Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > I hate to break it to you, but you never "own a piece of software".  You bought a license to use it under the user agreement that was in place at the time.  If you had bought it, it would have cost you well over $1M and you would have the source code and you could make the changes yourself (or hire a programmer to make them).
    >
    > The one work around to this is having a copy of the files in the Quicken config folder, it is a shame you didn't have a backup of your previous computer configuration.

Seriously? I am not speaking of buying the piece of software and taking ownership of it for the purpose of selling it, trademarking it or whatever else you'd like to do with a piece of software you decide to buy.

By own a piece of software I mean purchasing in good faith for what its expected to do at the time you purchase it.

Lets call it a license to use if you'd prefer. The only thing that I agreed to back then was that support would last until 2019. Beyond that I was on my own.

Think about it. Would anyone purchase anything if the premise was we can take away the right of you using what you purchased, along with the ability to access any of your data, at any time?

Maybe you would, I sure wouldn't.. and definitely not what I signed up for when I bought it.

I still have Office 2013... still needs to be activated... and it still can... even 2010 can.... I may get no updates or security fixes.. but thats the risk I take right?

Anyways.
  • Nick5
    Nick5 Member ✭✭
    And yes sir. I "OWN" the copy I purchased. That singular installation that came in the box that I purchased at the store is mine. Not the entire company...not the coding behind it... just that singular box.. I own it. Its mine, and I can do whatever I want with it including selling it for a profit. I purchased it. They can't come knocking on my door and take it back.

That whole "you don't own anything" is a terrible argument.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I’m away for home at the moment so I can’t pull up the license agreement for Quicken 2017, but almost every single piece of software has something like this included in it.

As is, no warranty as to the usability of the software for you purpose.

And services may be disconnected at any time.
    Logging into the Quicken Id is a service.

If you want contend that you “own” something what you “own” is to use the software within the restrictions of the license agreement.

I have probably seen a 100 statements about “class action suit” posted on Quicken forums over the years. I have yet to here of any that have actually taken place, let alone someone winning them.  I doubt Quicken Inc is losing any sleep over it. And I doubt that they are much concerned about you not giving them any more money when your goal is to use Quicken 2017 for X more years, and not paying them, on top of the 5 years you have already used the software without paying them any more.

I would like to say that everyone here posting does think it stinks that the old versions of Quicken are now failing to work and it doesn’t look like Quicken Inc is going to do anything about it.  We are just saying that legally you don’t have a leg to stand on.  And threats of not giving them any more money are just as likely not to have any impact.
    Signature:
  • Nick5
    Nick5 Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > I’m away for home at the moment so I can’t pull up the license agreement for Quicken 2017, but almost every single piece of software has something like this included in it.
    >
    > As is, no warranty as to the usability of the software for you purpose.
    >
    > And services may be disconnected at any time.
    > Logging into the Quicken Id is a service.
    >
    > If you want contend that you “own” something what you “own” is to use the software within the restrictions of the license agreement.
    >
    > I have probably seen a 100 statements about “class action suit” posted on Quicken forums over the years. I have yet to here of any that have actually taken place, let alone someone winning them.  I doubt Quicken Inc is losing any sleep over it. And I doubt that they are much concerned about you not giving them any more money when your goal is to use Quicken 2017 for X more years, and not paying them, on top of the 5 years you have already used the software without paying them any more.
    >
    > I would like to say that everyone here posting does think it stinks that the old versions of Quicken are now failing to work and it doesn’t look like Quicken Inc is going to do anything about it.  We are just saying that legally you don’t have a leg to stand on.  And threats of not giving them any more money are just as likely not to have any impact.

I've seen many statements of them as well... but this is also the first time that you have absolutely no access to your file.

And while I have seen many statements on CALS, many more in recent years are following through.

Take care. I'm moving on from the garbage that this company has become.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Nick5 said:

Take care. I'm moving on from the garbage that this company has become.
    Frankly I think that is the best thing anyone can do to actually influence them.
    Signature:
  • mshiggins
    For me it is a matter of how a company chooses to treat its customers. Both current customers and former customers who may be enticed to become current customers. Quicken has a fairly steep learning curve. Former customers are likely to get through that learning curve more easily than someone who has never used Quicken before. We know the value that Quicken can bring to organizing our financial lives. 

But any company that chooses to screw over their former customers by blocking the customer’s access to the customer’s financial data is in no way enticing me to become a current customer. It is having entirely the opposite effect. Why would I ever put my faith and dollars into a company that would so poorly treat their former customers?

• Not trying to kick a dead horse, but I'm trying to get 2017 installed on a new PC and not having any luck with the methods mentioned above. I think it's due to my version of the installer being too old. When installed, it loads the program data files to C:\ProgramData\Quicken and not C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken. I haven't tried all patches, but the ones I did try to install wouldn't due to Quicken not being installed on this PC.

I'm going to more patch versions to see if there is an order / minimum version that I need to run, but I thought I'd reach out for help.

Thanks in advance, and I'll post any findings I find interesting.
  • As an update, somehow I ended up with installers for versions of Quicken that were newer than 2017. When I ran the 2017 version, things were able to install correctly.
  • IslePilot
    IslePilot Member
    > @cick0 said:
    > Thanks, @MichaelConn99 !!!
    > To summarize what just worked for me after trying different options from the threads:
    >

Thanks @cick0 for your summary!

I just wanted to confirm this works perfectly for Quicken 2015 as well.

1. I used Revo Uninstaller and had it clean the registry and all leftover files. I then removed the entire C:\ProgramData\Intuit directory as it left something in there.
    2. Install Quicken 2015 but don't let it open
    3. Replace the Quicken.ini file in C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config with the one from my old computer (hint: this is actually an important file to back up so you have it when this happens next time!)
    4. Install the patch from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2015-patches.html
    5. Run Quicken
    6. Select restore backup from the menu (ignore the stuff in the main screen) and load your .QDF file.

My only problem is that when I open Quicken now, it brings up a blank "Enter Quicken ID Password" window twice times when I start Quicken, or after I backup. I had this issue a few computers ago and then it went away, so I am not clear why it is back now. I can live with this, but if anyone knows how to disable that I would be thankful!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    DocGer said:
    I'm assuming that if you don't have that quicken.ini file from the non-subscription version of 2015, 2016 or 2017...then you're basically out of luck trying to get any of those versions re-installed?

Unfortunately, I deleted that file and have no available backup...and upon re-install of my Quicken 2017 I'm stuck.
    Correct.  I have lost my ability to load Q (2014-2017) to test since I did those in a virtual machine that I never made backups of, so I don't have a quicken.ini file for any of the versions.  No more testing for me now.

• Avenger46
    Avenger46 Member
    I am having the same problem. used 2017 for years, but computer problems, and I did a total recovery which wiped all data. I reinstalled quicken 2017 and now have the white screen curse. I can see the account for a moment and then the white screen. if you still have the old computer, compare the registry files for differences. If that helps, please let me know.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avenger46 said:
    I am having the same problem. used 2017 for years, but computer problems, and I did a total recovery which wiped all data. I reinstalled quicken 2017 and now have the white screen curse. I can see the account for a moment and then the white screen. if you still have the old computer, compare the registry files for differences. If that helps, please let me know.
    You need to find the Quicken.ini file from a backup and overwrite the one that was created with the new install of 2017.
    Find it here: C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI
    No need to look in the registry.

• Avenger46
    Avenger46 Member
    Thanks, unfortunately my backup history was turned off and I don't have a copy
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avenger46 said:
    Thanks, unfortunately my backup history was turned off and I don't have a copy
    Not sure if I was clear, the backup would be a Windows backup, not Quicken backup.  It could be a very old backup since that file has been there since you installed QW2017.

• MAMiley
    MAMiley Member ✭✭
    > @chlpatent said:
    > This works: copy the Config folder from the old computer where/when you originally installed Quicken from the path C: (or other Windows system install drive) Program Data folder, Intuit folder, Quicken folder to the new install computer after you have run the install program for Quicken 2016 but haven't tried to run Quicken 2016, overwriting the Config directory that the new install put in that path. Worked for me with a new Windows 11 laptop - I copied the Config directory from a working Win 10 install on my old laptop. I had the same blank screens, tried all the patching suggested etc. Only copying the Config folder worked.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I have 17 years of personal financial data on Quicken from over the years! I was so frustrated chatting with the Support Team when they said my 'Quicken ID' registration was on a server that was no longer accessible and I couldn't 're-log on my file' after I had to do a reinstall because of it. They wanted to sell me the online monthly verification service. Why should I pay an extra $48 per year for a CD that I just bought 2 years ago. Quicken 2017.

A couple steps that I had to do in addition to 'copying the quicken.ini file from my old laptop' were uninstall the software AGAIN, delete the various files that dumped on my desktop when attempting to open the file before which include Data_Log, debug, xxxOFXLOG, Quicken, VALIDATE folder and reinstall Quicken. I also did a restart just in case ... was SOOO HAPPY TO SEE MY file with accounts!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MAMiley You want to make a permanent copy of the file(s) that you copied from the old computer to the new computer so that if you need to re-install QW2017 in the future, you have them.  Don't count on being able to find them again.  Store them away with your Quicken installation program/CD and the last patch release that you got from Quicken Patches.

• FYI.... I would have installed Quicken 2013 on my new computer, but no longer have the disc. Bummer.
  • mshiggins
    Nicole144 said:
    FYI.... I would have installed Quicken 2013 on my new computer, but no longer have the disc. Bummer.
    You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

• Ron60559
    Ron60559 Member
    > @MichaelConn99 said:
    > @JordiParra I've had the same problem and have just resolved my issue after 3 days of trying. Here's what I did: (1) On my old computer I copied the entire folder named Quicken located at C:\ProgramData\Intuit\ to a USB. Make sure you have Show Hidden Files enabled so you can see it. I also made a backup copy of my Quicken data file.
    >
    > (2) On my new computer using an account with Administrator privileges I ran my QuickenDeluxe2017 .exe file. I turned off Antivirus and Firewall beforehand. Not sure if that did anything, just adding for thoroughness.
    >
    > (3) After installation I DID NOT open the program. At that point I navigated on the new computer to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\, deleted the existing Quicken folder, and copied in the Quicken folder from my old computer.
    >
    > (4) I then copied my data file to the Desktop and then opened Quicken. From there I went to File --> Restore from Backup, and went through that process. Once done, everything worked and all my files are present.
    >
    > (5) I then logged in to my standard user account, copied my data file to the desktop, opened Quicken and repeated the Restore from Backup process. All files in 2017 format present with no (known) issues.
    >
    > I hope this works for you (and others) as well. I spent several hours on the phone with Quicken support with either no assistance or the assistance I was provided not working. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
    THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
    Finally able to get 2017 working!
  • > @mshiggins said:
    > You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

They have removed the file. It shows a Not found page now.
This discussion has been closed.