Track Bitcoin (BTC) and other Cryptocurrency accounts in Quicken (45 Legacy Votes, 9 Merged)

Options
123457»

Comments

• curtkj
    curtkj Member
    Options
    Eric Dunn's September 22, 2022 email appears to be very misleading and overstates the capabilities of the program when it comes to "including support for Crypto". I find the use of this low level "sales tactic" very disappointing. If I'm wrong, I apologize, and hope someone can advise me how to set up a portfolio and linked Q cash account for handling Crypto. Like all the other equites in my portfolios the program should also have the capability to update the price of the Crypto assets. I haven't been able to figure it out.
  • Laird B
    Laird B Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @curtkj said:
    > Eric Dunn's September 22, 2022 email appears to be very misleading and overstates the capabilities of the program when it comes to "including support for Crypto". I find the use of this low level "sales tactic" very disappointing.

Concur. The claim of including support for Crypto seems to rest on adding a security type and an asset class called "Crypto". (Which, since you can create your own security types and asset classes, most of us have likely already done.)

If there are other changes, Mr. Dunn et al. should make them clearer. Notably, there does not appear to have been an expansion in decimal places tracked, nor are there new pricing data feeds from live exchanges. (More on both of these in a moment, though.)

> @curtkj said:
    > Like all the other equites in my portfolios the program should also have the capability to update the price of the Crypto assets. I haven't been able to figure it out.

BTC and ETH pricing (though not updated 24x7, and sometimes with no updates for a day or two) are available within Quicken via some index symbols, e.g. INDEX:BTC1RP and INDEX:NQETH. Of the top 10 cryptos by market cap, I find 7 are available via some sort of INDEX:_____ quotes (mostly CBOE indexes); the remaining three are (supposedly) stablecoins pegged at $1.

To the decimal places thing: I believe it was in one of the threads that has been moderated away, but it has been pointed out by someone else that although it may annoy the fastidious that you can't track beyond 6 places, that's rarely material. At $20,000 per BTC, the 6th decimal place represents $0.02 -- relatively trivial in aggregate portfolio viewing terms.

So, transaction entry is still manual (or janky spreadsheet transliteration), which would be prohibitive for active traders -- but quotes can be updated via some of the indexes, and holdings can be tracked with adequate, though not perfect, precision.
  • steven.kerns
    steven.kerns Member ✭✭
    Options
    > If there are other changes, Mr. Dunn et al. should make them clearer. Notably, there does not appear to have been an expansion in decimal places tracked, nor are there new pricing data feeds from live exchanges. (More on both of these in a moment, though.)

Quicken did add access to a couple of exchanges, including ftx.us, albeit incorrectly. They correctly use the "API KEY" and "API SECRET" but the field lengths are only 32 characters when they need to be 40 characters. I contacted Quicken support about this twice, but they both blew me off. Quicken support blames FTX, but FTX says 40 characters is the documented standard for API connections.

I opened a discussion here: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7921334/ftx-api-not-working-for-quicken

> To the decimal places thing: I believe it was in one of the threads that has been moderated away, but it has been pointed out by someone else that although it may annoy the fastidious that you can't track beyond 6 places....

Quicken did add the option for 8 decimals. It's under Preferences > Investments > Extend share precision.
  • Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Roger Miller said:
    > I don't really care who owns my keys. I can access the money, and transfer to my bank account instantly, so I am good with that. Of more concern, I wish I could track what I own in Quicken.I have added the security CME CF Bitcoin Cash-Dollar Real Time to my security list.However, the downloaded price is always $0 :-(

Here's one example why I mentioned that to you, Roger, with good intentions:

"...According to proponents of the “not your keys” philosophy, a wallet on a centralized exchange does not truly belong to the account-holder. When withdrawals are paused, as they were by FTX in November, users lose access to their crypto. And if the worst happens, whether it’s the collapse of an exchange or a cyber-attack, those holdings could be lost altogether.

There is even legal support for “not your keys” In 2020, the verdict of California court case Archer v. Coinbase, concerning the 2017 Bitcoin fork, found that the exchange had no obligation to pay out Bitcoin Gold that could have been generated by a user’s Bitcoin holdings."

Source: https://decrypt.co/resources/coins-keys-wallet

I totally agree we need to be able to track our crypto via Quicken so we don't have to go elsewhere for these services. Does anyone know if Simplifi has crypto functionality? If so, what?
  • TZQuick
    TZQuick Member ✭✭
    Options
    @Quicknator - try using INDEX:NYXBT as the ticker for Bitcoin
    Quicken user since 1993
  • TJG_
    TJG_ Member ✭✭
    Options
    What's the latest, Quicken? Is Coinbase - Bitcoin going to be an account we can add?
  • GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am a little confused by this functionality.  I have only bitcoin at Coinbase but am not using Coinbase Wallet.   So I assume that I can't connect to Coinbase through Quicken?  

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    The current FIDIR listing for Coinbase is as follows.  (The FIDIR is what tells Quicken which financial institutions support Quicken, which connection method(s) they support and which types of accounts they support.  If it is not in this list, it will not show up in Quicken.):

57876 57876 57876 Coinbase - Bitcoin Wallet http://www.coinbase.com 888-908-7930 https://coinbase.com/signin ACTIVE BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT NOT_QBP NA

What this says is that Coinbase supports Quicken for Banking accounts (such as checking and savings) and Credit accounts (like credit cards, loans, etc.).  It is missing Investment accounts.  So, downloading investment account(s) with Bitcoin (or other securities) holdings cannot currently be done with Quicken. 

The status of this New Idea is "PENDING" so it seems like Quicken is not yet set up to work with crypto investments/investment accounts.  This might be due to something other than Quicken and/or Intuit.  In order to be capable of downloading investments into Quicken the connection method must be either Direct Connect (which many financial institutions will not offer because of the costs associated with that) or Express Web Connect+ (a new connection method that is in the early stages of being implemented by a few financial institutions at this time). 

Regardless of which method Coinbase will ultimately offer (or if they will even offer either one of them) Coinbase needs to contract with Intuit/Quicken to get that support added to Quicken.  Perhaps those who are interested in adding Coinbase Bitcoin support to Quicken might want to inquire with Coinbase about what their plans are regarding that and then let the rest of us know what their response is?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• IsraelDC123
    Options
    When will we get an ETA on this Crypto functionality? I have to use other tools to manage my Crypto investments. This is very inconvenient.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    When will we get an ETA on this Crypto functionality? I have to use other tools to manage my Crypto investments. This is very inconvenient.
    Quicken Inc never gives ETAs.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Still waiting for solutions, ((( Q )))
  • Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am truly thrilled to see Q finally implementing some of the crypto functionality they have been promising for years! First, in the security detail view, type the ^ symbol, then the first 3 characters of your trading pair, wait for a moment until you see a list of possible trading pairs, then choose the correct one for you, for example, ^BTCUSD.

For those of you having difficulty updating quates after finding the correct xxxyyy crypto trading pair, check to see if your security listing for each one is correct and box is checked for downloading transactions. I add them all to the watchlist as well. Before this functionality was added, I had previously created my own Crypto security type and asset class, so just to make sure, I chose "other" for each of my existing ones, then did my updates, then changed it back to "crypto" for both. I noticed after choosing "crypto," security type, the symbol field greyed out, but it doesn't seem to affect the ability to download prices.

Please also note that after you update, you may want to edit the security name that automatically populates after looking up your symbol. I added "^" to the beginning of each security name so all my crypto is listed first in the "security list." Your "security list" may need to be refreshed to reflect the changes - just search for something different, then search for all of your "^" type securities and you should see all the changes you made. Make sure to download "historical" prices as well as the regular update. Do it for each individual crypto untill you get the historical prices. If you don't already have transactions for the security, it may not download all the price history - I'm not sure why, but that has always been an issue for me with the investment quote downloads.

Q SUGGESTIONS: The next step I hope Q adds is daily volumes, high/low/close, and greater than 8 decimal transactions. 16 would be awesome, 32 even better! Thank you, Q! Finally!

I hope this helps you all. Best wishes! See attached pic for correct "Security List" setting examples.

• Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am truly thrilled to see Q finally implementing some of the crypto functionality they have been promising for years! First, in the security detail view, type the ^ symbol, then the first 3 characters of your trading pair, wait for a moment until you see a list of possible trading pairs, then choose the correct one for you, for example, ^BTCUSD.

For those of you having difficulty updating quates after finding the correct xxxyyy crypto trading pair, check to see if your security listing for each one is correct and box is checked for downloading transactions. I add them all to the watchlist as well. Before this functionality was added, I had previously created my own Crypto security type and asset class, so just to make sure, I chose "other" for each of my existing ones, then did my updates, then changed it back to "crypto" for both. I noticed after choosing "crypto," security type, the symbol field greyed out, but it doesn't seem to affect the ability to download prices.

Please also note that after you update, you may want to edit the security name that automatically populates after looking up your symbol. I added "^" to the beginning of each security name so all my crypto is listed first in the "security list." Your "security list" may need to be refreshed to reflect the changes - just search for something different, then search for all of your "^" type securities and you should see all the changes you made. Make sure to download "historical" prices as well as the regular update. Do it for each individual crypto untill you get the historical prices. If you don't already have transactions for the security, it may not download all the price history - I'm not sure why, but that has always been an issue for me with the investment quote downloads.

Q SUGGESTIONS: The next step I hope Q adds is daily volumes, high/low/close, and greater than 8 decimal transactions. 16 would be awesome, 32 even better! Thank you, Q! Finally!

I hope this helps you all. Best wishes! See attached pic for correct "Security List" setting examples.

• SailorBill
    SailorBill Member ✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

I was excited to hear this news. I went immediately to update my coins. I tried the ^ symbol in my register and in the Securities List and nothing is pulling up as matching the symbol. Is there an update needed? What version on Q are you working with? I'm using the HB&RP R51.12

After a few minutes figuring out how this works I was able to retrieve the crypto symbols. The ^ is not enough. The user needs to enter a few characters of the desired crypto symbol after the ^. Great work Q~

• steven.kerns
    steven.kerns Member ✭✭
    Options

I had to enter more than "^" in the search to get any results. Try "^btc". Then I got a list, but even then it didn't include the ^BTCUSD that I wanted. So I entered that full string, and it worked fine.

• Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Right, I am using the latest version R51.12 for Windows 10. As indicated above, "…type the ^ symbol, then the first 3 characters of your trading pair, wait for a moment until you see a list of possible trading pairs, then choose the correct one for you, for example, ^BTCUSD…" Next step for me - importing 4k transactions, lol. Happy hunting!

• Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Good news! R52.19 update includes up to 8 decimal places for investment transactions and new investment transaction IMPORT function for MAC users. Next up, when can we import investment transactions via Windows? In addition, an "All Investment transactions" sortable view would be very helpful on the main investment tab.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Quicknator

new investment transaction IMPORT function for MAC users. Next up, when can we import investment transactions via Windows?

It sounds like you have misread the release notes. Exporting of Quicken Windows investment transactions and importing them into Quicken Mac has been in there for years (with a few problems between what Quicken Windows supports and Quicken Mac doesn't).

The new feature announced in the release notes is in fact importing investment transactions into Quicken Windows from a QXF file exported from Quicken Mac.

This implies also that an export from Quicken Windows in the QXF format will now import investment transactions when imported back into a Quicken Windows data file. This is in fact true, but there are problems with that import.

See this thread:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I must confess I only read the release note summary "Quicken now supports importing investment transactions from Quicken Mac, enhancing cross-platform data handling," which wasn't as clear as you stated, Chris, and haven't had time to test. Thanks for the encouraging clarification and test results. Totally agree with your assessment, would like to see confirmation from Q admins, and hope this function will be continually improved so that those of us with thousands of buy/sell/transfer/convert/payment/deposit/withdraw/earnings crypto transactions can finally import our data via Windows and Mac, so we can get the financial big picture in one place that Quicken has been innovating since its infancy. Thanks again.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

What's the best work around to track Bitcoin today in Quicken?

I just added Bitcoin to my PayPal account. (You bought 0.00266368 Bitcoin (BTC) for $102.49 USD)

---- Quicken User since 1998 ----
  • natickmike
    Options

Although the easiest solution is to add the crypto as a security (when Quicken releases this of course). I woould like the option to treat it as currency similar to if I held a bank account in the UK and wanted the Pounds balance repriced in Quicken to US$. How can we have Quicken add pricing features to Cash accounts and Investment accounts?

• Quicknator
    Quicknator Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Don’t hold your breath on the “treat as currency” option, since 1) there are thousands of crypto currency types that would need to be added to Q along with price updates to accurately state your balance, and 2) the IRS treats most, if not all, cryptos as investment transactions, requiring profit/loss/cost basis data, which, by the way, is already available in Q with price updates for major cryptos (with some decimal point tweaks as noted in prior threads), and, 3) most accounting app developers would not deliberately invest in development, programming, testing, updates and support for an app to do something contrary to tax guidelines for a very small segment of its customer base.