Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When?  I just clicked on it and it asked me if I wanted to download it.  But I didn't want to go that far to see what it would do.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

They have removed the file. It shows a Not found page now.
    No, it is still there.  Another person I was talking to got the same “not found error”, which I suspect is caused by your web browser or anti-virus software.

Here is the direct link cleaned up a bit to remove sine unneeded information that might be throwing things off.
    https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, I tried the direct download link after reading @Marcelo Curado's post and got a Not Found page as well, so I guess the fixed something.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had been meaning to download QW2013 anyways, so tried the direct download link. It worked, I now have QW2013 install exe and the last QW2013 mondo patch from QPW’s patch site ready to go should I want to roll back to QW2013.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we download 2013 do we still need to patch it?  Isn't the download the full final version?  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• mshiggins
    volvogirl said:
    If we download 2013 do we still need to patch it?  Isn't the download the full final version?  
    I am not sure, just wanted to have the patch just in case.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    volvogirl said:
    Correct, but it never hurts to have it.  It is 22.1.12.7.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek are you saying that you can now download it?
    I have never had any problem downloading after each of the people I talked to reported it.  I'm using Microsoft Edge, with Microsoft Defender (stock settings).
    Signature:
  • Greg_the_Geek
    No, it's broken again.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try Microsoft Edge because I'm having no problems downloading it.
    Signature:
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi All,

I have a partition with Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.2310.
    I installed Quicken 2017 Home & Business R20.6 and got the same blank screen.
    Uninstalled the program using QCleanUi.
    I also removed numerous folders and files and ran CCleaner Free.

I have Quicken 2017 Home & Business R20.6 installed in Windows 10 32-Bit Build 19045.2251, working. I only copied Quicken.ini from C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\Quicken.ini to a folder on my Documents partition.

Restarted the computer. Booted into Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.2310.
    I copied the file into C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config
    Then I reinstalled Quicken 2017 Home & Business. The process updates to R20.6. I restored my Manual Backup from Subscription to Quicken 2017 Home & Business R20.6 and gained access to the Data File's Data. No Blank Screen/

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Marcelo Curado
    Marcelo Curado Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    > No, it is still there.  Another person I was talking to got the same “not found error”, which I suspect is caused by your web browser or anti-virus software.
    >
    > Here is the direct link cleaned up a bit to remove sine unneeded information that might be throwing things off.
    > https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe

This link has worked for me but the original link is also working now...
  • Pilgrim
    Pilgrim Member
    @chlpatent - THANK YOU! I did not have an install (on disk or otherwise) for my version of Quicken when my hard drive crashed. Don't need or want subscription. New computer, backups of data, but no installs. Finally found an install zip of 2016 Home & Biz on the internet archive, and installed both it and the Mongo patch per other advice (@Chris_qpw). After copying in missing DLLs (msvcr120 and msvcp120) from my backups, I was getting that horrible white blank. Following your advice to copy over the entire Config folder (thankfully also backed up!), I'm in! And all my data up to about 3 weeks ago (last backup) is there and accessible. I am SOOOO relieved, I cannot tell you. Only cost me a week of hair-pulling. A thousand blessings to you.
  • I'm trying to install Quicken 2017 on my computer. I have the original disk. But every time I install it, I get to an upgrade window. And the only options are to click on "upgrade" or "done." If I click on "done" my computer locks up & I have to start all over again. If I click on upgrade, it provides me with the monthly subscription options.

Any suggestions? I only use Quicken to write about 5 checks per year.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You need to find the Quicken.ini file from a backup and overwrite the one that was created with the new install of 2017.

Find it here: C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI

• Bethlk
    Bethlk Member
    My Quicken 2017 worked find just 4 days ago. I've been using it offline for 2.5 years; never linked to a bank. Just like having my financial data easy for me to read/access. Now, though, I can't get the data file to appear on my screen. I enter my pw, and the Quicken icon looks active ... but nothing. After reading all these comments, I am guessing what you are all saying is I'm out of luck and will never be able to access/read my data anymore. Is that correct? I am not a techie person, so I'm not sure if I understand what all of you are saying. Btw, I still have my CD Deluxe Quicken 2017, but I think what you are all saying is it's worthless. Can someone confirm and/or help me? Thanks!
  • mshiggins
    @Bethlk what password are you entering, a data file password? After you enter the password, are you seeing a blank Quicken screen? 

• Bethlk
    Bethlk Member
    I'm using a pw I created to open my data file. After that, I see nothing except the logo at the bottom tool bar either highlighted or underlined.
  • mshiggins
    Bethlk said:
    I'm using a pw I created to open my data file. After that, I see nothing except the logo at the bottom tool bar either highlighted or underlined.
    That sounds like either the Quicken window is opening outside of the visible area of your monitor or some issue is causing the file to hang on open. 

To see if the window is opening outside of the visible area of your monitor, hover your mouse over the Quicken logo at the bottom tool bar. In the small preview that pops up, hold down the Shift key and left click. That will enable clicking the Move command. Then use arrow keys to move the window until you can see it on the display. 

One fairly frequent issue that can cause the Quicken file to hang on open is a runaway reminder. If you have this issue, your data file size will grow and grow while it is hanging on open because the bad reminder is making hundreds of copies of itself. The fix is to set your computer date to a date in the past before the problem began and try opening Quicken. If the file opens, look for a reminder that has created the hundreds of transactions and delete that reminder. You can then set your computer date back to the current date and delete the transactions that the bad reminder created. 

Hopefully one of these will resolve the issue for you.

• Jelge
    Jelge Member
    I am having the same issues with the blank screen. Sometimes it teases me with a flash of the accounts screen before it shows the big white square. I am looking to see what I have on the shelf. So far I have found discs for 2002, 2004 and 2008. I don't recall when I started downloading the program. I have digital copies of 2015 and 2017 on the Windows 7/10 laptop. I should have at least 2 versions to fill the gap between 2008 and 2015. I had 2017 running on Windows 11 but that computer failed (thermal runaway just sitting idle on the desk) and I can't get 2017 to work on the warranty replacement. Whatever changed changed since June 2022.

After all of this effort, I am thinking an Excel worksheet would be easier and do everything I am using Quicken to do. I could even go back to manually downloading my banking data using the .csv files the banks offer and just import them into the worksheet. I quit buying Quicken when they increased the price and switched to a subscription-based system. I would still be buying new every couple of years if they hadn't done that. Price increase probably can't be helped but it seemed like a huge bump at the time.

Rummaging around my old computer stuff has stirred some memories... I found a copy of Falcon 3.0 and a box for a 56k modem.
  • Jelge
    Jelge Member
    I do not remember a guarantee to access my data but I do recall reading I would still be able to use 2017 when I declined the "upgrade". It was very clear and specific that all I would lose is the ability to download my account information.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Quicken 2017 and older versions: The Data Access Guarantee only applies to the Subscription Release of Quicken. Quicken 2017 and older versions may still work, but they are no longer supported.

What is the Quicken Data Access Guarantee?
  • SW#1
    SW#1 Member
    The solution provided by Michael Conn99 posted on September 1 worked for me as well with Quicken 2016. Fortunately I had my original program disk and was able to get Quicken 2016 working on a new computer. As a 20+ year user of Quicken, I was distraught at first not getting the program to work right away. I thought I would lose all the information I've stored unless I broke down and signed up for annual subscription service. Thanks Michael for sharing your solution!
  • Annie106
    Annie106 Member ✭✭
    > @Nick5 said:
    > > If you want contend that you “own” something what you “own” is to use the software within the restrictions of the license agreement.

Actually, you do own your own data. Wording in the 2020 Users Agreement (the one now current) does state that access to your data is guaranteed - as long as your account is active, and as long as Quicken feels like supporting it. It states that after that, you can still use the entry functions, but online services (including updates) will become unavailable. I have been using 2016 as a computer based program, as I have no use for online services, and never signed up for online. The program until recently was stable. At some point, I became aware that Quicken had harvested my personal data (from purchase) to interfere with my program- the banner across the top thing- and asked me to create a signin. Foolishly, I did, at which point the program began updates and requesting the sign-in everytime I opened the program. I just ignored it and it went away. But now I have the big text box taking up the right side of the screen to remind me that my account is no longer active. I can still use it for data entry and my periodic backups, including the "transfer file" type.

This is an issue because I just bought a replacement computer, and will need to install Q on it. From my reading both of Q "help" articles (not helpful), and the comments here, it looks like I am stuck. I upgraded from pre-2009 via 2013, but did not keep the copy of 2013, thinking (again, foolishly) I wouldn't need it. I do not trust my computer hacking skills enough to mess around with operating files.

Quicken started out as a good program with helpful customer services. Though it had quirks, it was a solid program. The company had problems, and at one point employees took ownership, and tried to salvage it. Apparently it didn't quite come off, and the next thing I knew, another entity owned it and began the subscription thing. Which sucks for people like me. I am NOT going to put my data on a cloud-based system, so the cheapie is out. They have the nerve to charge even for that. If I were to do that, I'd just go for Mint. Something I never thought I'd say.

Wish Quicken would return to a customer service model that accommodates a variety of real-life needs.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Where does everyone get the idea that Quicken Subscription is cloud-based? It's the same desktop software as pre-subscription Quicken with the OPTION to sync to the Quicken cloud if you want to use Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web.

@Annie106, FWIW if you still have the Quicken 2016 installation media, you can install Quicken on a new computer, download the latest patch from Quicken 2016 Patches - QuicknPerlWiz and copy the QUICKEN.ini file from your current computer.
  • tomT2022
    tomT2022 Member
    > @IslePilot said:

> My only problem is that when I open Quicken now, it brings up a blank "Enter Quicken ID Password" window twice times when I start Quicken, or after I backup. I had this issue a few computers ago and then it went away, so I am not clear why it is back now. I can live with this, but if anyone knows how to disable that I would be thankful!
    >
    >

I confirm the same. I installed Quicken 2015 on my new Windows 11 laptop with this method, and I also have the blank "Enter Quicken ID Password" dialog twice. Otherwise it seems working.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @mshiggins said:
    > You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article. It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.
    >
    > https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

They have removed the file. It shows a Not found page now.
    It comes up for me.  Here is the direct link to download Quicken Windows 2013 Deluxe.  See if it works for you: https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe
    Signature:
  • Annie106
    Annie106 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, guys. I copied all your suggestions above, and while it sounds doable, I'm tired of Quicken jerking me around. I've got other things to do. This morning I could not access my account at all (think Q is watching?). However, yesterday they had sent me a bargain renewal for one year. I took it as an interim solution I had spent last evening doing some research and found a couple apps (one in Europe) that look promising, and lets me retain control. If all goes well, I'm done with Quicken. If not, maybe if we keep complaining and quit treating this way of doing business as normal, Quicken might rethink it.
This discussion has been closed.