I want to delete securities from my security list.

Paul Freedman
Paul Freedman Member ✭✭
edited January 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Is there a way to find all securities in my security list that have zero shares in all accounts. I have been using quicken for over 15 years and my security list has hundreds of securities that I have not held for a long time. It would be nice for the security list to show how many shares I own of every security as well as the last transaction date for that security since I want to maintain my capital gains and income history for maybe the last couple of years.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you removed the securities that you no longer owned, then you could not do a Networth report since it needs that security information.
    If you removed the securities from the list, you would have to also remove the historical transactions that are in the register, so it is not as simple as removing them from the list.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO, it would be far better in the Security List to Hide and stop Watching the securities you no longer use and no longer wish to track than to delete them.  If you delete them you will be removing a chunk of your historical data.  And that could also mess up other accounts that might have had transfers of cash and/or securities transactions with the account(s) that had previous history of those deleted securities.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    I have done this. It's not as scary as it sounds, and Quicken is a bit more responsive, but not hugely so. It's a 3 step process and, yes, you will lose information.
    1. Archive Transactions in all investment accounts. Let Quicken create a backup when you archive the first account.
    2. Delete the newly-created -archive accounts.
    3. Delete, one at a time, the no-longer-used securities from the Securities list.
    Step 3 is not as bad as I anticipated because the Delete button only enables for unheld securities.
    If you don't like the results, just go back to the backup made in step 1. If you do like the results, you should do a File > Copy to really delete all the items marked deleted in steps 2 and 3 and then reconnect your online accounts.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    splasher said:
    If you removed the securities that you no longer owned, then you could not do a Networth report since it needs that security information.
    This is true, and for me, it was the scary part. Past net worths will be wrong because holdings have been deleted. The first time I ran a historical NW report, my hair stood on end. Only current & future NWs will be correct because Quicken adds the balance correction "today" rather than distributing it over time past.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    @Paul Freedman - There is a product improvement idea to make it easier to hide (or identify securities with no holdings) posted at https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7907602/provide-option-on-security-list.  You might want to consider voting for it.  To vote for an idea, click on the triangle below the original post as shown circled in red in the pictured example below.:

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.