Print one check for same vendor with multiple invoices

Why can't I do this? Quicken Chat Support said not possible. Doesn't make sense to require more paper checks and more bank processing without this feature.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @donnabullock,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

To request this feature to be added in the future, you can create an idea post. This way, other users with the same or similar requests can vote on your idea.

Our Development and Product teams frequently use our idea posts to improve Quicken and implement new features requested by customers. 

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Provided that all vendor - related transactions are recorded in your Vendor Invoices account register, you can print 1(one) check to a vendor covering more than one vendor invoice. Just start the New Payment to Vendor dialog in the Vendor Invoices register, select the invoices to be marked paid, mark the check to be printed from your checking account and save the transaction. Move to the checking account register and print the check.
    If you are printing voucher checks, the one thing you cannot do is to print information on the voucher stubs about which vendor invoice numbers are being paid with this check. You have to do this by hand or you have to include the vendor's invoice stubs with your printed check.
  • donnabullock
    donnabullock Member ✭✭
    Thank you for responding. I am using Windows Quicken Premier Desktop V45.21. All my vendor payments are made from "Write Checks and Print" after entering into the check register. I don't have a New Payment to Vendor dialog nor a Vendor Register.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for responding. I am using Windows Quicken Premier Desktop V45.21. All my vendor payments are made from "Write Checks and Print" after entering into the check register. I don't have a New Payment to Vendor dialog nor a Vendor Register.
    Sorry, most all the time that someone says "vendor", they are actually using the Home, Business and Rental feature level. That's where all the Vendor Invoices lingo comes from.
    I don't quite understand what it is that you wish to have changed. Can you provide more details and/or a sample of what you would like to do?
    Are you printing Voucher checks, Standard checks or Wallet checks?

• donnabullock
    donnabullock Member ✭✭
    Using standard checks. Have four entries in the check register that say "Print". All are to the same vendor, albeit different invoice numbers and dates. These were entered through "Write Checks". After entering you have an option to print all checks or selected checks but no option to print one check for the same vendor. Such a waste of bank processing and of buying paper checks. In this case, four times as much.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Separate Register transactions defined to print individual checks cannot be combined into one check. Quicken is not designed to do so. And where on the Standard check would you print the multiple vendor invoice numbers for reference? The printed Memo line is too short.

As an alternative, you could create only one check and use multiple Split Transaction detail lines. In each Split line put the vendor invoice number in the Memo text field. This would give you a record of your vendor invoice numbers. But, again, when printing Standard Checks there's no way to also print the Split detail with each check. Only Voucher checks could give you a solution to this problem. On the stubs of each Voucher check there's room for 8 - 10 Split detail lines. Mail one stub with the check and keep the 2nd stub for your records.

For a review of Quicken - compatible check styles (to see a sample Voucher check) and perhaps to order new check or envelope supplies, please see https://intuitmarket.intuit.com/checks

• donnabullock
    donnabullock Member ✭✭
    Your suggestion about the split transaction is a good one. And of course there isn't any room for the invoice numbers. Even on voucher checks the split transaction invoice information space is limited and often truncated. Back to standard checks, I would still like the capability to write one check for multiple invoices recognizing the data will not be reflected on the check. Trying to reduce paper and processing. Thank you for your cogent remarks.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your suggestion about the split transaction is a good one. And of course there isn't any room for the invoice numbers. Even on voucher checks the split transaction invoice information space is limited and often truncated. Back to standard checks, I would still like the capability to write one check for multiple invoices recognizing the data will not be reflected on the check. Trying to reduce paper and processing. Thank you for your cogent remarks.
    You could still go the way of creating only one check transaction, with multiple Split lines for each vendor invoice.
    When printing the check also print a register transaction report (CTRL-P) for today's transactions, with Split detail. This report format prints Split detail Memo text longer than on a stub.

• donnabullock
    donnabullock Member ✭✭
    Great suggestion. This is exactly what I did. Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.