Download Results in 2 Years of data, few matches

rbienenfeld
rbienenfeld Windows Beta Beta
I have 20+ accounts, all suddenly downloading 2 years' worth of transactions.  In some accounts this is hundreds of transactions, with few of the downloaded transactions matching the cleared and reconciled transactions that already exist in the accounts.  I restored an older version of the file and the same thing happened.  This is a significant problem since there is no easy way to clear out the downloads.

Comments

• Hello @rbienenfeld,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community. 

First, are you discussing issues with your beta file or your main file?

I look forward to your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• rbienenfeld
    Main file. 
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Main file. 
    Hello @rbienenfeld,   

Thanks for confirming the data file being affected. We do apologize about this problem continuing.

Is this is affecting multiple accounts associated with multiple financial institutions? Also, I just want to be sure: where is your current active data file located? You can check this anytime by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. I want to reiterate that one should make sure that the current active data file is located on their computer and not on an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

I look forward to hearing more from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • rbienenfeld
    This is my current, active file, and it is located on the same computer where I run the program.  I take a fresh, back up copy and update it and hundred and hundreds of transactions are downloaded from previous years.  I don't store the file in the cloud or on another computer.
  • rbienenfeld
    In addition, this recurs even if I restore a backed-up version of the data from before this problem occured!
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The current Quicken "restore" actually does a sync from the Quicken cloud dataset as part of the restore.  That is one possible source of this.  And if you have any Express Web Connect + accounts a new source of problem has popped up lately.

First problem, the restore syncing transactions back into your Quicken Desktop data file.

There is two ways to approach this.

One is to instead of doing a restore just replace the data file with a copy of the backup file renamed so that it just opens it instead of doing a restore.  For instance, your backup is called Current.QDF-backup, rename it to Current.QDF and open it. This will get Quicken open the data file without first doing the sync to Mobile/Web.  Note that there isn't anything internally different between a .QDF and .QDF-backup file, the type just tells Quicken if it should open it in place (.QDF) or do a restore (.QDF-backup).

The second way is probably more complete but might mess with other things that are stored in the Quicken Cloud dataset like online bills.  What you do is create a new data file with Sync to Mobile/Web on.  Then in that data file select Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Cloud accounts with this Quicken ID(x).  This will bring up a dialog where you can delete the Quicken Cloud dataset associated the original Quicken Desktop data.  Once that is done you can do the restore of the original Quicken Desktop data file because it will be syncing from an empty Quicken Cloud dataset.

The more recent problem I have found is that it seems that the first approach will not completely work if you have Express Web Connect + files.  I never use Quicken's backup since I have my own backup system.  So, when I have wanted to "restore" I have always just pulled out a copy of my data file out of my backup system and opened it.  I have never had any kind of problems with this until Chase changed over to Express Web Connect +.  Since then, if I do this, I find that is in downloading duplicate transactions that are already in that data file.  They don't go too far back in time, so I just cleaned them out manually, but I might have to switch to deleting the Quicken Cloud dataset before opening an old data file in the future.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rbienenfeld
    I also have my own back-up system, it sounds like it is similar to yours.  I tried your suggestion of deleting the Quicken Cloud datasets.  I deleted them and used a copy of a previously known good file.  Same thing, hundreds of transactions downloaded.  Any idea where to go from here?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't really have any other ideas of preventing them.

BTW is this in Express Web Connect + accounts?
    That is the only place I have seen them.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rbienenfeld
    No, unfortunately.  It occurred on my bank accounts, which have both Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + and it did not occur on brokerage accounts with Express Web Connect +.

This discussion has been closed.