it appears Quicken switched all foreign accounts to XDR as the currency making balances wrong

jeannedarc1
jeannedarc1 Member ✭✭
in the past weeks, my balances are correct in amount and currency, but all reports are wrong. Some investment accounts show large negative balances,which is not even possible. Anyone else have this issue?

Answers

• jeannedarc1
    jeannedarc1 Member ✭✭
    in fact the Registers are incorrect and the Account Bar is accurate. I've called Quicken support but the people I talked with have no resolution.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you track accounts in multiple currencies in Quicken for Windows (US version) please note:
    • In Tools / Currency List there's a setting to designate one currency as the "Home Currency" (usually defaults to US$). Check that it uses your preferred currency.
    • Reports containing transactions for accounts of different currencies convert transactions and balances to either the Home Currency or the currency selected in report customization. To avoid conversion, select only accounts with one currency to be part of the report.
    • Account sidebar shows actual balances in each account's currency. Totals are calculated in Home Currency
    If an account shows a balance or transaction amount using a negative balance large enough to cover your country's National Debt ... One or more transactions in the register have been corrupted. Try to find, delete and reenter the damaged transaction(s).
  • jeannedarc1
    jeannedarc1 Member ✭✭
    Your information above sounds fine. However, when I run a report with accounts in multiple currencies, some of the balances are not valid in any currency.
    In order to use Quicken for my monthly and annual financial reports, I need reports to include all accounts regardless of currency of the account. It is fine that the overall report is converted into USD or other currency and that the exchange rates convert to the report currency accurately. Otherwise Quicken is not useful for either my personal finances or my company reporting.
    I have verified that the Home currency is correct and the amounts in the Account Bar are correct. It is the big problem with the reports that needs a fix. When will this be returned to the way Quicken has handled multi-currency before?
  • jeannedarc1
    jeannedarc1 Member ✭✭
    thank you for your response. I have been using Quicken for decades and what you note above is indeed true. However, the recent change in the way reports are generated is really annoying. Have you discovered an internal Quicken escalation desk to find a way to correct this latest change Quicken has made?
    Regarding corrupted files, do you have a suggestion how to identify if a transaction has been corrupted? Would the "Validate and repair" function work?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Quicken Support:

• jeannedarc1
    jeannedarc1 Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your response.
    Regarding corrupted files, do you have a suggestion how to identify if a transaction has been corrupted? I have hundreds of transactions. Many thanks in advance.
This discussion has been closed.