Unable to read the selected Web Connect file (Q Mac)

Qmac415
Qmac415 Member ✭✭
I downloaded transactions from an Elan Financial credit card I have. I have been doing this for years without problems. This time when I went to open the Q file I get the above error message from Quicken. I understand there is a current issue with Elan however I am not set up with Elan for the automatic download of transactions. I do it each month myself. Any ideas??

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Qmac415 said:
    I downloaded transactions from an Elan Financial credit card I have. I have been doing this for years without problems. This time when I went to open the Q file I get the above error message from Quicken. I understand there is a current issue with Elan however I am not set up with Elan for the automatic download of transactions. I do it each month myself. Any ideas??
    Hello @Qmac415,    

We are sorry to hear about these issues with online banking services and error messages. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

What error code - if any - is associated with this message? It appears as though the screenshot intended for upload did not make its way into your comment; we are sorry about this. You can follow the steps explained in this FAQ in order to do upload screenshots; hopefully this is helpful. Also note that you may drag and drop your images into your comment in order to submit images, as well.

Let us know if something seems to be preventing this from working as expected, and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Qmac415
    Qmac415 Member ✭✭
    Unable to read the selected Web Connect file.
    Jared, this is the error message I get when I try to open the Quicken file.
    I had entered those exact words as the subject line when I created my discussion. It would appear that the community does not see that line. Thanks for your help
  • Qmac415
    Qmac415 Member ✭✭
    Hello Jared. I responded to your request for clarification a few days ago. I have not heard anything back from you. Am I doing this correctly in this format?
  • Quicken Jared
    Qmac415 said:
    Hello Jared. I responded to your request for clarification a few days ago. I have not heard anything back from you. Am I doing this correctly in this format?
    Hello @Qmac415,   

Thanks for checking back in with me about this. We apologize that you did not receive a response sooner.

If you have the chance, it would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch
    4. Click Next
    5. Click Next
    6. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web
    7. Click Next 

You may then add your Elan Financial-affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by by navigating to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand side of the screen, denoted by the '+' symbol then choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

Tell us about what results you see in the test file, if you have the opportunity to stop by and speak with us again. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Qmac415
    Qmac415 Member ✭✭
    Jared thanks for your response. I only download transactions from this bank once a month. I ended up hand entering the transactions from this month so I will wait to see if this problem occurs again next month and reach back out to you if the problem still exists. Can you keep this string open for a month or should I start a new one? Thanks again.
  • Quicken Jared
    Qmac415 said:
    Jared thanks for your response. I only download transactions from this bank once a month. I ended up hand entering the transactions from this month so I will wait to see if this problem occurs again next month and reach back out to you if the problem still exists. Can you keep this string open for a month or should I start a new one? Thanks again.
    Hello @Qmac415,   

I appreciate your efforts in following up with me. 

Typically, Discussions are closed within a month without any activity, so if you check back in with us after thirty days, it will be best to simply create a new Discussion. I will keep an eye out for any further communications you can provide, of course, as I would like to know what you notice over time. Keep in mind that you can always test the online banking connections using the 'test file' method described earlier, and feel free to let us know about what you find, if you get the chance.

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mtpallini
    mtpallini Member
    I am having the same issue with downloading Elan credit card transactions - I’ve been doing this for years and this month I get a message saying “Unable to read the selected Web Connect file - please contact your financial institution”
  • jamesevh
    jamesevh Member ✭✭
    This is the 5th time I’ve written about this problem since December, 2022. Quicken for Mac is unable to read the .qfx file of downloaded transactions from Fidelity’s Elan Services Visa card. I tried again this morning with the latest Mac OS and the latest version of Quicken using both Firefox and Safari. Help!!
    Jim
  • Qmac415
    Qmac415 Member ✭✭
    Same thing just happened to me this morning. Come on Quicken step up and address this issue. It certainly seems to be on Quicken's end as the file that downloads seems to be a Quicken file. We need help out here!!
  • Doug Eldred
    Doug Eldred Member ✭✭
    As a workaround, create a Mint.com account for your credit credit. Then you can download .csv and import that into Quicken. It's a little tedious, but a lot easier and more accurate than entering everything manually.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Qmac415 said:
    Same thing just happened to me this morning. Come on Quicken step up and address this issue. It certainly seems to be on Quicken's end as the file that downloads seems to be a Quicken file. We need help out here!!
    @Qmac415 Since this forum isn't Quicken Support, your plea here isn't likely to get any results. ;) If you truly want help, you'll want to call Quicken Support, where (assuming you get a good representative) they should be able to connect with your Mac and look at your log file and the QFX file to see why it's not importing. Since QFX is a long-established standard, the odds are that there's something not formatted correctly by your financial institution, and you may have to pursue this with them. But hopefully Quicken Support would be able to identify why the import is failing.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jamesevh
    jamesevh Member ✭✭
    You can download the files to Quicken Mac by going directly to the Elan credit card website; myaccountaccess.com. You’ll need to call Elan to lead you thru the account access process. The download is very easy and fast. There is no need to go through Fidelity’s website any longer..
    Jim
  • Qmac415
    Qmac415 Member ✭✭
    I was on an online chat with Elan support just now and they did admit they made some changes and are aware of an issue. They said they are working to address the issue. I was also on the phone with Quicken support this morning, they did not seem to be aware of this issue but are looking into it.

I have always done my downloads directly from the Fidelity Visa/Elan site. The issue started with the January statement. I am going to work to set up automatic downloads like I have set up for other credit cards
This discussion has been closed.