Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee

Answers

• Annie106
    Annie106 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > Where does everyone get the idea that Quicken Subscription is cloud-based?

Greg, I was referring to the cheap version, which is cloud-based.

>
    > @Annie106, FWIW if you still have the Quicken 2016 installation media, you can install Quicken on a new computer, download the latest patch from Quicken 2016 Patches - QuicknPerlWiz and copy the QUICKEN.ini file from your current computer.

Thanks for this, but it turns out that I do not have access to patches released after my sub expired in 2020. As of last night, I officially no longer had a subscription. The rest of my story is in a different message, posted below. Wish me luck.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Annie106, there is no "cheap version, which is cloud-based". Quicken Starter (the cheapest version) is desktop software just like Deluxe, Premier and Home, Business and Rental. Where do you get you information from?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Hello everyone:
    I have Quicken 2017 on my old computer and I have loaded the program on my new computer using my CD. However, after loading it on my Windows 11 computer, the screen just flashes like all the other threads in this article. I know very little about computers and I do not want to subscribe to Quicken. I cannot find the quicken.ini file to copy to my new computer. Please help an old fart with a new computer. Thanks
  • Greg_the_Geek
    C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI

C:\ProgramData is a hidden folder. You need to show Hidden folders in Windows Explorer. You should also install the 20.5 Mondo patch from Quicken 2017 Patches - QuicknPerlWiz
  • Annie106
    Annie106 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > @Annie106, there is no "cheap version, which is cloud-based". Quicken Starter (the cheapest version) is desktop software just like Deluxe, Premier and Home, Business and Rental. Where do you get you information from?

That was my understanding, but I could be wrong- it was based on info from when Q first started nagging me to renew. That was a challenging year: I was one of the first early Covid wave and went into long Covid. The last three years have been challenging for the world, period. Why I have little patience for things that just don't need to be the way they are. I get to a point where enough is enough. So I go looking for something else. Thanks for correcting my error. I don't want to confuse someone just looking for something basic and cheap. But jeez- renewing every year for things you don't need? I use Libre Office and give them a donation rather than let MS Office shove their subscription service down my throat. Good old capitalism. Find a way for customers to pay, and then pay again, and again, and again.
  • Annie106
    Annie106 Member ✭✭
    By the way, Greg, thanks so much for your willingness to help people sort out problems. I have saved your instructions, just in case. Put all together, they are very understandable. Quicken needs people like you to write their copy.
  • Simple enough, copy the quicken.ini files from the program data folder. All worked for my windows logon. I open the logon for my son and I am back to the same issue, white screen. Odd as the ini files was placed in the program data folder and NOT the user data. Any ideas why quicken works under one profile and not the other?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    If you're trying to create a new data file, Quicken has limited access to existing data files for security reasons on pre-subscription Quicken.
  • JKM2247
    JKM2247 Member ✭✭
    > @MichaelConn99 said:
    > @JordiParra I've had the same problem and have just resolved my issue after 3 days of trying. Here's what I did: (1) On my old computer I copied the entire folder named Quicken located at C:\ProgramData\Intuit\ to a USB. Make sure you have Show Hidden Files enabled so you can see it. I also made a backup copy of my Quicken data file.
    >
    > (2) On my new computer using an account with Administrator privileges I ran my QuickenDeluxe2017 .exe file. I turned off Antivirus and Firewall beforehand. Not sure if that did anything, just adding for thoroughness.
    >
    > (3) After installation I DID NOT open the program. At that point I navigated on the new computer to C:\ProgramData\Intuit\, deleted the existing Quicken folder, and copied in the Quicken folder from my old computer.
    >
    > (4) I then copied my data file to the Desktop and then opened Quicken. From there I went to File --> Restore from Backup, and went through that process. Once done, everything worked and all my files are present.
    >
    > (5) I then logged in to my standard user account, copied my data file to the desktop, opened Quicken and repeated the Restore from Backup process. All files in 2017 format present with no (known) issues.
    >
    > I hope this works for you (and others) as well. I spent several hours on the phone with Quicken support with either no assistance or the assistance I was provided not working. Please feel free to reach out if you have any questions.
  • JKM2247
    JKM2247 Member ✭✭
    This was helpful. I followed the steps you candidly described but didn't turn off anti Virus or firewall and I am now able to run Quicken2017 like before. Quicken should be called out for trying to force users to upgrade. I purchased 2017 and it's mine forever without their updates or Online whatever
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @JKM2247, you actually purchased a license to use Quicken according to the EULA which I believe states that unsupported versions of Quicken may cease to function.

Quicken 2017 and older versions: The Data Access Guarantee only applies to the Subscription Release of Quicken. Quicken 2017 and older versions may still work, but they are no longer supported.
  • JKM2247
    JKM2247 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > @JKM2247, you actually purchased a license to use Quicken according to the EULA which I believe states that unsupported versions of Quicken may cease to function.
    >
    > Quicken 2017 and older versions: The Data Access Guarantee only applies to the Subscription Release of Quicken. Quicken 2017 and older versions may still work, but they are no longer supported.

What I intended to mean is that I bought Quicken 2017 then, maybe in 2018 I can't quite recall and as far as I am concerned it's mine for life therefore Quicken inc. has no right to disable the functionality I bought the software with. Maintaining it or online features is their prerogative and I have no problem them not doing it but they shouldn't try to force me to upgrade.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I guess you didn't read the EULA when you installed Quicken.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    JKM2247 said:
    What I intended to mean is that I bought Quicken 2017 then, maybe in 2018 I can't quite recall and as far as I am concerned it's mine for life therefore Quicken inc. has no right to disable the functionality I bought the software with. Maintaining it or online features is their prerogative and I have no problem them not doing it but they shouldn't try to force me to upgrade.
    They have every right, what you are failing to see is that the Quicken Id is an "online feature" and that you are required to log into it register/use it.  The fact that a workaround was found to transfer the registration from another machine was found changes nothing about this.

In other words, they didn't change a thing in the software that you installed, they changed their servers, and that just happens to mean that the old software can no longer login/register.  This is no different if the license servers were shutdown.  The statement is that you can use it as long as it works, but that they have no obligation to make it work if it stops working for any reason.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Quicken 2017 EULA:

In addition to being governed by this Agreement, access and use of the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services are in all cases subject to Quicken's discontinuation policy. To the maximum extent permitted under applicable law, Quicken reserves the right to discontinue all support for the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, any of their discrete features, or any other features, online and other services or content accessible through the Quicken Software, Quicken Online Features, and Ancillary Services, at any time and for any reason.

Subject to the foregoing, Quicken expects to provide support through April 30, 2020 for the current version of the Quicken Software and certain features accessible through the current version of the Quicken Software. We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the supported versions, services, or program features if necessary due to changes in hardware or software that our products run on, or for other reasons.  More information about Quicken's discontinuation policy is available at https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy.

• noclue
    noclue Member ✭✭
    I think once you sign out using Quicken ID in Quicken 2017, you will never being able to use Quicken 2017 again, ever. I wish I came to this thread earlier. But it is too late now. My story is that I tried to install 2017 on a new PC and got message like 'confirm YES' to sign out. I thought I could sign in again. But... I think it is controlled at the server level. If you disconnect Internet Quicken 2017 will complain about it. Now I can't use it with my old PC as the server will detect that I have 'signed out'.

My challenge is that I use quicken for all my billing information including due date etc. Now I can't use it and I can't remember it 100%.

Here I have two questions.

1) If I use Quicken 2013, will it be able to read data file used by Quicken 2017?
    2) If 1) is not possible, my next question is if I purchase Quicken subscription, will it read data file used by Quicken 2017?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    @noclue,

1. No, Quicken 2013 will not read a Quicken 2017 data file directly.

2. Yes, Quicken Subscription will open a Quicken 2017 file.
  • noclue
    noclue Member ✭✭
    Thank you, @Greg_the_Geek
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    FWIW if you're currently on subscription, and want to downgrade to QW2017, the .INI copying trick worked for me in a Windows Sandbox.

1. Launch a Windows Sandbox
    2. Installed QW2017 Premier from the CD files.
    3. Applied Mondo Patch QW2017R20.5MPatch.EXE
    4. Replaced the file "C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI" from my subscription install into the same place in QW2017.
    5. Launched Quicken. 
    6. I was able to open a copy of my current subscription data file.

Seems to work fine. I don't see how this wouldn't work outside a sandbox.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    If your QUICKEN.INI was in the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config folder, it's from the previous version of Quicken. The QUICKEN.INI from Quicken Subscription is in the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config folder. I believe I've already tried copying the QUICKEN.INI from Quicken Subscription to Quicken 2017 and it didn't work.
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    If your QUICKEN.INI was in the C:\ProgramData\Intuit\Quicken\Config folder, it's from the previous version of Quicken. The QUICKEN.INI from Quicken Subscription is in the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config folder. I believe I've already tried copying the QUICKEN.INI from Quicken Subscription to Quicken 2017 and it didn't work.
    Ah, nice to know. Thanks for that. Also nice that that file stuck around even after the initial migration to subscription. The timestamps on the old .ini file are around the time I had migrated. 

Immediately, I'm backing up that folder and storing it with my QW2017 install files, just in case. That's a nice fallback if Quicken Inc. ever goes under and doesn't provide a way for the existing subscription users to continue using the software (trust me, that's happened to me when a program publisher went under).
  • noclue
    noclue Member ✭✭
    I had to purchase the subscription as my 2017 stopped working after I accidentally 'logout' from Quicken. Then my question is that within one year, if I don't renew the subscription, can I continue using whatever version at the time and how long would that be supported?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    As long as you purchase a subscription to Quicken Deluxe or higher (Quicken Starter goes to Read only when the subscription expires), you can continue to use Quicken in manual mode but 20-30% of the screen will have renew reminders.
  • noclue
    noclue Member ✭✭
    Yes, I purchased Deluxe. @Greg_the_Geek, thank you for confirming this.
  • Hello,

I have Quicken Rental Property Manager 2015 on an old computer that I'm trying to move to a Windows 11 desktop. I read everything on this thread, but must be doing wrong so am asking for help.

To start, I installed the base copy of QRPM2015. Then, without opening Quicken, I installed the 17.4 Mondo patch. Then, without opening quicken, I replaced the program data / Intuit folder.

At this point, I open QRPM2015 holding shift. The program opens no problem. Then I try to open my data file. I see my data pop up for a second, but then get this white screen. I must be missing a step. I hope someone can help as I've been working on this for an hour and am so frustrated.
  • > @AnnoyedQuickenUser said:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have Quicken Rental Property Manager 2015 on an old computer that I'm trying to move to a Windows 11 desktop. I read everything on this thread, but must be doing wrong so am asking for help.
    >
    > To start, I installed the base copy of QRPM2015. Then, without opening Quicken, I installed the 17.4 Mondo patch. Then, without opening quicken, I replaced the program data / Intuit folder.
    >
    > At this point, I open QRPM2015 holding shift. The program opens no problem. Then I try to open my data file. I see my data pop up for a second, but then get this white screen. I must be missing a step. I hope someone can help as I've been working on this for an hour and am so frustrated.

I figured it out. I was just trying to open a data file, not restoring a data backup. When I restored the backup file, it worked!
  • noclue
    noclue Member ✭✭
    @AnnoyedQuickenUser This is exactly what I have been trying to overcome, but failed. If you try to find my previous post you will know what I have been experiencing. At the end I gave up because what I knew is that I, by accident, logged out from Quicken when trying to use Quicken 2017 on a new Windows 11 laptop. After that I would not be able to get it to work even on the PC which I could use Quicken before what happened for WIndows 11 laptop. So my conclusion is that when Quicken starts up it checks whether the userID, used to run the Quicken application, has been logged out or not. If you have logged out and if you are using an unsupported version of standalone version, not the subscription version, of Quicken, you will never be able to get it back.

I ended up by the subscription version to get my data back. ANd I plan to not renew it once a year pass and continue using it.
  • GrandmaJo
    GrandmaJo Member ✭✭✭
    It seems to me that the owners of Quicken purposely made versions before the subscription versions unusable.  That seems to be in conflict with the agreement from the beginning that you would always be able to access your data.  Now it is impossible to reinstall Quicken 2017 and have it work.  (Unless you are lucky enough to have access to the old Quicken folders, and even then, I'm not sure it always works.)  I sure wish someone would come up with a similar program that would not require an expensive, yearly subscription.  I have even had trouble accessing my 18 month old Quicken that I am no longer updating.  I've dropped the subscription because it gave me no value....no new features and I have never downloaded data from my banks.  In fact, the current Quicken has dropped many features that it had 10 or 15 years ago.  
  • noclue
    noclue Member ✭✭
    @GrandmaJo MY understanding is that for subscription version, you shall be able to use the program after you stop renew as long as it is the Duplex version or higher.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    noclue said:
    @GrandmaJo MY understanding is that for subscription version, you shall be able to use the program after you stop renew as long as it is the Duplex version or higher.
    Deluxe, not Duplex
    Yes, you can use it, but there will be a narrow banner going across the screen and a panel on the side opposite the Account Bar about the size of the Account Bar and there is no way to remove them except by renewing.  You lose about 25% of the usable screen.  This post shows an example of what is lost: 
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20006432/#Comment_20006432

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.