Quick but important question - how do I print past bank reconciliation reports?

roberta
roberta Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Reports (Windows)
Quick but important question - how do I print past bank recon reports? I've tried everything!! when I choose REPORTS/BANK/RECONCILIATION I do get a nice report BUT no matter what date I choose, I only get December's report!! PLEASE HELP!! THanks

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only reconciliation report Quicken will provide is for the last reconciliation.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, you can't go back in time to reprint past reconciliation reports. They are not saved within your Quicken data file.
    Going forward, I recommend you print monthly reconciliation reports to PDF files, each of them appropriately named something like "\Documents\PDF Files\Reconciliation ABC Bank Checking 2023 01"
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I  suppose that you could UN-reconcile the account (set the CLR values to blank or 'c') and then re-reconcile ...  printing the report after each effort.
    Since the account is, presumably, already reconciled doing so should go pretty quickly.
    Backup before trying this.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• roberta
    roberta Member ✭✭
    Thank you to Boatnmaniac, UKR and NotACPA! I've never had any accounting software that doesn't allow reprinting reports! That's really unusual but since this account has 2 transactions per month I just may try unreconciling and then rereconciling......maybe! From here on out I will save to PDF. Thanks again!!
  • Golden1
    Golden1 Member
    edited January 2023
    [Removed - Language] No reconciliation report??? And I don't even have a REPORTS/BANK option...!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Golden1 said:
    [Removed - Language] No reconciliation report??? And I don't even have a REPORTS/BANK option...!
    > REPORTS/BANK/RECONCILIATION
    Well, the OP should have said REPORTS/BANKING/RECONCILIATION

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Golden1 said:
    I think you misunderstood the basic question/problem.

Quicken Windows can certainly print reconciliation reports, and it can even do it for dates in the past, but because Quicken doesn't store any kind of history/reconcile reports all it can do is report what is currently in the register.

And BTW one of the main reasons always given for this stems from this statement:
    roberta said:
    I've never had any accounting software that doesn't allow reprinting reports!
    Quicken was designed as a "personal finance program", not an "accounting program".
    In any accounting system one of the most fundamental needs is traceability.  It is put in at the start, and all through the core of it.  Quicken Windows never had that.  It mimics more what an individual would be doing to take care of their finances.

In an accounting system if I say show me the reconcile from X period of time it will be able to show it exactly how it existed at that time.  Here is example of why Quicken Windows wouldn't.

You reconcile the month of November 2022.
    For whatever reason transactions get removed from November some time in December.
    You go to reconcile December and it won't reconcile, so you want to bring up the reconcile of November 2022 so that you can see what changed.  Quicken can't tell run a report today to tell you what changed of the November transactions.  It doesn't have any kind of record of what changed, it can only report on what now exists in Quicken.

BTW Quicken Mac does keep a record of the reconciles and as such can do this, but Quicken Windows can't.  On the other hand, Quicken Mac so I don't know that it is "impossible" to do this in Quicken Windows, but they never have, and Quicken Mac is based on a much newer code and a much more modern database.

EDIT:  But it should be noted that even in Quicken Mac what they have done is save a history of the reconciles, not a complete history of the everything that has changed, unlike what would be expected in a full accounting program.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.