Syncing American Express Accounts

M2AZ
M2AZ Member ✭✭
Quicken will not sync my AMX accounts. After i go through the setup wizard AMX sends me an authentication code but I don't have a place to add it into Quicken, and then eventually Quicken says the AMX account is locked and it cannot connect.

Answers

• Hello @M2AZ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

First, I suggest creating a test file and attempting to add the American Express account(s) to see if it produces the same issue regarding no box appearing for the 2FA. It is recommended to save a backup before proceeding with troubleshooting steps in the event that you would like to return to your original starting position. Below are instructions on how to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

1. Select to not use Mobile.
    2. Click Add Account to start adding accounts to the new file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problems in this test file. 

Please let me know how this goes, I look forward to hearing your response. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• M2AZ
    M2AZ Member ✭✭
    I get the same result after doing the test data file. In Quicken, the AMX account shows the fix it icon. When I tap to fix it, Quicken goes out and tries to sync, eventually I get a 2FA email from AMX with the code. Once Quicken finally comes back it says the AMX account is locked (it is not locked out). I never get the prompt to enter the 2FA code that I received from AMX email. However, any transactions against the AMX card do sync up, but I still get the fix it error in Quicken and I am unable to pay the AMX bill via Quicken because the transaction fails in Quicken. In other words, charge transactions are syncing via Quicken but I still get the fix it error in Quicken and an not able to use online bill pay for this account within Quicken.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    M2AZ said:
    I get the same result after doing the test data file. In Quicken, the AMX account shows the fix it icon. When I tap to fix it, Quicken goes out and tries to sync, eventually I get a 2FA email from AMX with the code. Once Quicken finally comes back it says the AMX account is locked (it is not locked out). I never get the prompt to enter the 2FA code that I received from AMX email. However, any transactions against the AMX card do sync up, but I still get the fix it error in Quicken and I am unable to pay the AMX bill via Quicken because the transaction fails in Quicken. In other words, charge transactions are syncing via Quicken but I still get the fix it error in Quicken and an not able to use online bill pay for this account within Quicken.
    Hello @M2AZ,     

We are sorry about this problem continuing, and thank you for answering our earlier questions about the situation. The results from the 'test' file will be especially helpful, going forward.

What connection method are you currently making use of in order to add or link your accounts to online banking services? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box. 

We look forward to your answer, and hope to provide additional recommendations going forward. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • M2AZ
    M2AZ Member ✭✭
    Apparently Quicken does not support 2FA with AMX account? Once I went back into my AMX account and turned off 2FA, and then went back into Quicken and "reset" the online account, everything has been working as expected. I hope the Quicken DEV Team can resolve this so I can use 2FA with AMX in the future.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    M2AZ said:
    Apparently Quicken does not support 2FA with AMX account? Once I went back into my AMX account and turned off 2FA, and then went back into Quicken and "reset" the online account, everything has been working as expected. I hope the Quicken DEV Team can resolve this so I can use 2FA with AMX in the future.
    Have you reauthorized your accounts so that it switched to Express Web Connect +?
    You can determine this by looking at the top of the account register.

Express Web Connect + shouldn't be subject to 2FA like Express Web Connect would be.
    EDIT: In other words, with Express Web Connect + you should be able to have 2FA on for your normal login, and not have any effect on using Express Web Connect +.  Express Web Connect uses your username and password to login just the same as if you were logged in, and as such is subject to the 2FA setting too.  Express Web Connect + on the other hand uses a rotating secure token that should have nothing to do with your normal login/2FA setting.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • M2AZ
    M2AZ Member ✭✭
    It was showing Web Connect + before I did all this and I just checked since I did it, and its showing the same thing, Web Connect +.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is really strange.  It shouldn't work that way.
    Signature:
  • M2AZ
    M2AZ Member ✭✭
    So you are saying that 2FA should work with AMX accounts? Thanks for your help/insight.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you should be able to have 2FA on and still have your American Express Web accounts update.  There is definitely a bug, most likely on American Express' side.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.