Quicken Mac 6.12 has been released!

Quicken Victoria
Quicken Victoria Employee, Mac Beta Beta

We hope you had a great start to the new year.

We are excited to announce that a new release of Quicken for Mac (6.12) is available!

You can get the latest Quicken build by clicking "Check for Updates" under the Quicken menu.

Thank you for your help and support.

Best Regards,

The Quicken for Mac Team

Please take a moment to review the summary and try the new features in the product. 

Managing Accounts

New – It is now simple to view the entered password in plain text when adding new financial institution credentials to ensure accuracy.

Improved – If you are uncertain about the category to assign to an "Opening Balance" transaction, you can modify it in the account register.

Improved – It is now simpler to switch the connection method for an account. You can choose the preferred connection type from the account settings window instead of relying on the Quicken default option.

Reports

New – You can now generate a Reconciliation Report for the accounts you have reconciled. This report can be accessed and printed from the Reconciliation History window.  (Requires macOS 10.15+)

New - New Income & Expense card on the Dashboard is a useful tool that allows to quickly view your total income, total expenses, and net income for a selected time period. The card also provides the ability to drill down to a report for more detailed information. This feature can be helpful for tracking financial performance and making informed financial decisions.

Improved - Based on your feedback, the Schedule D tax report now includes both manually categorized investment transactions and automatically computed Capital Gains and Losses.

Improved – “Top Spending Payees” card on the Dashboard now excludes transfers, manually entered Opening Balance transactions, Reconcile adjustments, and other balance adjustments in Split Lines to present more accurate spending data.

Improved - Learning Center offers more information about reports in Quicken.

Improved - The "Spending by Category" card on the Dashboard now includes transactions for payees that have been marked as hidden to ensure consistency with the reports and other cards on the Dashboard. 

Bills

Improved - The process of updating eBills for Chase credit cards has been improved for a better experience.

Improved - A new column has been added to the scheduled transaction list, allowing to view the frequency of each transaction in addition to the amount due and payment status. This can help you better understand and manage your recurring transactions. 

Improved - It is now easier to view scheduling options when creating or editing a scheduled transaction.

Investments improvements 

Improved - Significantly faster performance when downloading investment OFX data.

Connectivity Status window 

Improved - A new functionality has been implemented to allow to easily share error details with support agents in the event of an error during account updates. The error details can now be selected and copied from the Connectivity Status window, and then pasted into an email, chat window, or other communication tool for troubleshooting.

Improved – Now you can view the entire message of a connectivity error by simply hovering over the error message, eliminating the truncation of text that was previously an issue.

Important note: 

To keep Quicken for Mac secure and up to date with the latest Mac technologies, we will be ending support for macOS High Sierra (10.13) and macOS Mojave (10.14) after the v6.12 release. These operating systems are no longer supported by Apple.

This means that Quicken for Mac v6.12 will be the last release that will run on macOS versions 10.13 and 10.14.   Our main focus for v6.12 release is on improving the overall quality and stability of the product, so there may not be many new features.

Comments

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    I reported the issue about transfers counting as Spending in the Top Payees again yesterday, and then this morning I saw it was fixed.  Nice Job.

Steve
    MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
    Quicken Simplifi since 2021

• Baxter1
    Baxter1 Member
    Version 6.12.1 (Build 612.47851.100) just installed and I cannot do anything with the dashboard cards. The Income/Expense card was added. Under the support section of Quicken, says there should be 3 dots on top right of each card, to manipulate, add, delete, etc. The 3 dots do not exist, only the slider bars icon, for changing colors of the card.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    You can't add or remove dashboard panels on the Mac; that Support page must have been for Windows. You can rearrange the panels using drag & drop but that's about it for now.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    @Jon
    @Baxter1
    Yes, and I hope adding cards and removing them will be available soon.  I like the cards and it's a good step.  But I would like to be able to personalize them.  The income and expenses card is nice, but I don't like that it it includes dividends in retirement accounts as that is not really income.  I would also like Spending Categories to be actual amounts rather than percentages (I think it showed amounts until the latest update) and to be able to show more of them.  I would like the card that shows uncategorized transactions to appear only when you need it, ie when you have a non-categorized transaction.  

I've also been racking my brain thinking of additional cards.  Obviously, the upcoming Bills and Incomes should be moved to Home as the old Overview goes away.  That should probably be replaced with a Budget view of some sort.  I do wish Quicken would offer a simpler Budget something like they have in Simplifi where you just have income, recurring and planned monthly spending.

But all a step in the right direction.

Steve

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    SRC1954 said:
    I would also like Spending Categories to be actual amounts rather than percentages (I think it showed amounts until the latest update)...
    It actually does the a dollar amount, in addition to the percentage, if you make your Quicken window wide enough. (For me on a 21.5" iMac, that's nearly the full width of the screen. I don't normally keep my Quicken window at full-screen width, so I lose seeing the dollar amounts. For this reason, I want the developers to allow users to manually drag individual cards wider (or taller) to accommodate the information they want to see. Meanwhile, if you're seeing only the the percentages, you can see the dollar amounts by hovering over the category name or pie wedge.

SRC1954 said:
    ...and to be able to show more of them.
    Yes! Only 5 categories plus everything else in Other (which for me is typically 25% or more) isn't nearly as helpful as seeing my top 10 categories, or all categories > 3%, or some other metric.

I also want to see more than only 5 Top Spending Payees. The rows in this card are even spaced out because the developers couldn't fill the card space. Why not show us Top 10 instead of Top 5?

SRC1954 said:
    I would like the card that shows uncategorized transactions to appear only when you need it, ie when you have a non-categorized transaction.  
    I don't mind seeing it, showing "No uncategorized transactions", as long as it's in my bottom row of the cards. (If I could make it shorter, so another card could be taller or wider, though, that would be great.)

SRC1954 said:
    The income and expenses card is nice, but I don't like that it it includes dividends in retirement accounts as that is not really income.  
    I agree! This card could be very useful, but it's not useful to me currently because I can't exclude retirement income, or investment income. I am hoping the developers will add a simple dropdown to allow users to select which account types to show, something like this:

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Just Lurking
    Just Lurking Mac Beta Beta
    SRC1954 said:
    That should probably be replaced with a Budget view of some sort.  I do wish Quicken would offer a simpler Budget something like they have in Simplifi where you just have income, recurring and planned monthly spending.

But all a step in the right direction.
    Yes! I want better (simplified!) budgeting tools in Quicken, please. I haven't seen/used the Simplifi budget so I can't compare directly, but the Quicken budget could use work. I've tried to use it a couple of times and was just overwhelmed by the complexity and difficulty of trying to budget down to individual Categories.
  • jacobs
    Any enhancements to simplify using the budget (such as an "everything else" line for categories not explicitly included in the budget, or rollovers for overages/underages) will miss the mark unless the developers finally create a simple budget-versus-actual report for a prior month/range of prior months. Heck, all these Dashboard enhancements are fine, but have me scratching my head why they are being developed ahead of this fundamental missing piece of Quicken Mac — a budget report. 
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    I am using Version 6.12.2 (Build 612.47862.100)

In regard to the new Income and Expense card - it needs some work.  In my case they do not mimic the amounts in Transactions Spending Income.  Also when drilling down on the card, it does not mimic the report totals.

Does not mimic actual budget amounts.

Card is capturing uncategorized transactions.  I have Asset accounts of collectibles and other valuable items and adjust the values accordingly. The card capture those as Income or Expense.  That is incorrect as it's only a value. I use those Asset accounts for insurance requirements. 

I have no interest in hiding accounts.

Need the ability to deselect accounts.

Programs that cost half as much as Quicken will enable me to do this!

If you can not accommodate this request please advise, I'll move on elsewhere if I have to.  This is basic stuff folks.
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    ... and does not even reflect the correct values of the Mobile App!

Card half-baked. Should never have been released like this unless you wanted beta testing.
  • jacobs
    @Chris27 First, the Income & Expense card in the Home Dashboard is new in the most recent release. If Quicken was serving you well before this week, why would you "move on elsewhere" simply because of this small new feature in its first iteration?

But… this seems like an easy problem to solve. From your description, the issue is simply that you've got transactions adjusting the value of accounts which you've left as uncategorized. That's your problem. Simply assign the category of "Adjustment" to those transactions, and they will no longer affect the Dashboard cards. (Or reports you may use for showing income/expenses.) "Adjustment" is a special category which allows you to adjust the value of an account — which is exactly what you're doing with these asset accounts — without being counted as income or expenses. "Basic stuff" indeed! :) 

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Last night a small update installed on Quicken Mac and almost all my downloads went haywire.  I had to reset up several bank accounts including the recently improved Amex Credit Card, whose site I had determined was really down.  This morning I reset it and had to reset my local bank a third time.  I hope all of this was a coincidence but hadn't had anything like this in years.

Did anyone else this morning have trouble with this latest update?

Steve

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    @jacobs

Good catch on seeing the actual numbers in the category spending card if you make the window wide enough.  Boy I had to make it wider than I like but they showed up.  One problem is the percentages take a lot of room because they are in the format 24.86%. I think just rounding to 25% would save a lot.

I used to use the Budget stuff but it required too much work and I can save without one.  I prefer just seeing how the money is spent and adjusting categories as I go.  For example, I now have a category for Extras (Unnecessary stuff) so I can work on decreasing stuff like that.  

Steve

• Matt
    Matt Member ✭✭✭
    SRC1954 said:
    Last night a small update installed on Quicken Mac and almost all my downloads went haywire.  I had to reset up several bank accounts including the recently improved Amex Credit Card, whose site I had determined was really down.  This morning I reset it and had to reset my local bank a third time.  I hope all of this was a coincidence but hadn't had anything like this in years.

Did anyone else this morning have trouble with this latest update?
    Yes.  Quicken Mac user as well.  None of my bank accounts are updating this morning.  I'm getting a FDP-4000 error on every account. It seems like every week there are now new issues and errors that are making Quicken unusable as a real time financial tool.  
  • mrmhenry
    mrmhenry Member
    Like many, I'm sure, I have a problem printing checks. The memo line prints way too low on the check and is within the MICR code line. Instead of releasing Quicken for Mac updates with fancy graphs and charts, (which I find have little use other than window dressing), please correct the financial program basics, like check printing... Allow data lines on a check to be individually adjusted in height for printing purposes.
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    Chris27 said:
    I am using Version 6.12.2 (Build 612.47862.100)

In regard to the new Income and Expense card - it needs some work.  In my case they do not mimic the amounts in Transactions Spending Income.  Also when drilling down on the card, it does not mimic the report totals.

Does not mimic actual budget amounts.

Card is capturing uncategorized transactions.  I have Asset accounts of collectibles and other valuable items and adjust the values accordingly. The card capture those as Income or Expense.  That is incorrect as it's only a value. I use those Asset accounts for insurance requirements. 

I have no interest in hiding accounts.

Need the ability to deselect accounts.

Programs that cost half as much as Quicken will enable me to do this!

If you can not accommodate this request please advise, I'll move on elsewhere if I have to.  This is basic stuff folks.
    Not serving me well and the company's practices are cheesy. It's more than the small new feature in its first iteration.

The reason I do not use the Adjusting category is the fact that it mucks up the Earned/Spent within the mobile app. It shows Asset Account increases as income! Uncategorized will not have that effect in the mobile App.

No further point in beating a dead horse - time to move on.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris27

I have always used the "All Transactions" screen (selected from the top of the sidebar) as my home screen.  Selecting the Spending tab gives me a pie chart similar to the Income and Expense card but with much better options.

1. I can choose any account or combination of accounts
    2. I can select any date range or customize my own
    3. All the categories are included
    4. Clicking on the categories to drill down gives me a list or transactions that I can customize to include any column combination I choose including Memos,  and the settings are remembered 

I can do the same thing with income categories by clicking on the Income tab.

The list below the pie chart is sortable by Payee, Amount, Date etc.  This gives me most of the information contained in the other cards but again with much greater customization options. You can also select the Transactions tab and sort by different columns.

In general I find the new Home Dashboard to be of no use to me.  Fortunately there are easy ways to find the same information.
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks - I as well have used the All Transactions screen.  In my case to get the Dashboard Income/Expense working correctly, I have to forego the Income/Expense values in the Mobile App.  You would think whether Dashboard or Mobile App, the values would be identical. Not so when using the adjustment category.  They just don't think things through!
  • Quicken Victoria

Hello! Thank you for taking the time to provide your valuable feedback. Your input is greatly appreciated as it assists us in planning for the future improvements of Quicken for Mac.

We are reviewing all of your suggestions regarding the Dashboard and will incorporate some of them in future updates. 

Thank you again for your support!

-victoria 

• Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    I would like it fixed now, not a month from now.  Tired of paying inflated subscription rates for work in progress.
  • jacobs
    @Chris27 A week ago, there was no Income & Expense Dashboard card. Were you better off then? This week, we got this new card. Is it perfect in its first iteration. Nope. (I want to be able to exclude investment income, but there's not option to do that. I'm hoping they'll add it in a future release.) Is it better that they're continuing to add and refine features? I'd say yes.

You're using Quicken to do something a bit non-standard with asset accounts, and you're bitter it doesn't work for you. People have suggested how you can make it work in Quicken Mac, but you note that then it doesn't work right in Quicken mobile. It's not an excuse, but Quicken Mac, Quicken Windows, and Quicken Mobile are under separate development teams. Of course, they're supposed to make things interoperable. Have you ever reported the problem with transactions using the Adjustment category in Quicken Mobile? From your description, Quicken Mac is working correctly as designed, but Quicken Mobile isn't.

"I would like it fixed now, not a month from now." Well, of course that's not going to happen, and it's an unrealistic expectation. I'd say if something gets enhanced in the next release, that's a win. To you, that's unreasonable. You've said several times it's time for you to move on from Quicken, so if that's the case, why continue posting complaints?
  • Chris27
    Chris27 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I post my complaints to see who rises to action. :D   Still got three months left on my subscription.  Perhaps they'll get tired of me and sort some stuff out.  Like you say "they're supposed to make things interoperable."  BTW, I did report the mobile app issue some months back as well as a Bill reminder issue (changing from manual to auto). Still the issues persist.

All in all the I&E Card is an improvement although in my case I sacrificed mirroring in the mobile app.

Fixing it now is not too unreasonable - If you set the bar too low, some 
    folks will wind up hitting their heads over and over.
  • RCinNJ
    RCinNJ Member ✭✭✭✭
    mrmhenry said:
    Like many, I'm sure, I have a problem printing checks. The memo line prints way too low on the check and is within the MICR code line. Instead of releasing Quicken for Mac updates with fancy graphs and charts, (which I find have little use other than window dressing), please correct the financial program basics, like check printing... Allow data lines on a check to be individually adjusted in height for printing purposes.
    mrmhenry, from your comment it appears that with the checks you purchased you can't just raise all the lines together-- which is easy to do. When I ordered checks there was a place to make them compatible with Quicken and I have no problem. While buying checks again is a pain, if it's really causing problems maybe buying compatible checks would be easier than waiting (possibly forever) for a fix?
  • jobworker
    jobworker Mac Beta Beta
    The issues that I had encountered with the Reconciliation report and the Top Spending Payees have been resolved .  Great going.
  • Quicken Victoria
    Thank you for cinfirming @jobworker!

-victoria 
  • Familly Moreau
    Familly Moreau Unconfirmed ✭✭
    edited February 2023

(deleted)

• caram
    caram Member ✭✭✭

I'm no longer able to reconcile transactions, because new transactions no longer show up in the Reconcile window. This started happening after I moved from 6.12.2 to 6.12.3.

I also reported the problem from the app.