How to use Quicken on two computers in the same house (edit)

and just having to pay the fee for one of the computers? Also, would I need to link them together some how? Thank You, Tom

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi @Rtom,

When one purchases a Quicken subscription that individual can install the Quicken application/program on a number of computers/devices and run any number of Quicken datafiles on each, all, or any of those computers/devices.  [I am probably showing my age and should have said "devices" rather than computers.]

The fee is for a "license" to use the application for (usually) a one-year period.  The number of datafiles that you may create, update, and use is not limited by Quicken and the computers need not be "linked together".

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi @Rtom,

When one purchases a Quicken subscription that individual can install the Quicken application/program on a number of computers/devices and run any number of Quicken datafiles on each, all, or any of those computers/devices.  [I am probably showing my age and should have said "devices" rather than computers.]

The fee is for a "license" to use the application for (usually) a one-year period.  The number of datafiles that you may create, update, and use is not limited by Quicken and the computers need not be "linked together".

Hope this helps.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rtom
    Rtom Member
    I shall proceed to downloading Quicken to my wife's computer. Thank You!
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    That's right, you only need one subscription to run Quicken on multiple computers. But you must be very careful if you want to share one data file between multiple computers. You should not put the file on a shared drive and two users accessing a data file at the same time is asking for trouble.

Also some features such as the credit score are linked to your Quicken ID (subscription) so there is not much privacy between users who share a Quicken ID.

https://www.quicken.com/support/can-i-install-quicken-multiple-computers
    QWin Premier subscription
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not mentioned explicitly yet, but there is NO PROCESS in Quicken to keep a data file on one computer in sync with a copy of that data file on a second computer.  You have to do that yourself copying the file back and forth between the two computers.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the method for “copying” between computers should indeed be copying as the restore in backup/restore forces a mandatory cloud sync. Cloud sync has caused no end of problems with data. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the method for "copying" should be done use File Explorer, not the Copy or Template option that's available in Quicken.  This function disconnects all Account in the file from their Financial Institutions where downloading has been enabled. 
    This has all gotten way too complicated.
This discussion has been closed.