Amex Re-Authorization

dave344
dave344 Member ✭✭✭
Tonight when I tried to download my transactions using the One Step Update utility like I have countless times before, I was told I needed to re-Authorize my Amex accounts (Gold and Blue). That's never happened before. I followed the prompts and after a couple of failures and a lot of time, the authorization was accepted. But then I discovered the update did not post the new transactions into the existing Amex accounts but instead created two new Amex accounts and downloaded all the transactions into those accounts. (See attached images.)

How do I tell One Step Update to use the existing Amex accounts (with all the historical transactions) rather than the new accounts it created?

[Edited Screenshots for Privacy]

Best Answer

• Quicken Kathryn
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi @dave344 - just to give you a little more detail on this as well--we are starting the transition to EWC+ with Amex, and the server cutover was actually last night.  This phase of the migration is optional--however, judging from the timing of your post, you may have updated right in the midst of launch and testing.  During testing, we found that for Windows users, the 'new' EWC+ accounts were not linking correctly to existing accounts, which, unfortunately, accounts for your experience.

When we discovered this issue, we stopped the migration process for Windows users, and we already have a new patch that we're testing for Windows to correct this issue.  In the meantime, deactivating these new accounts, as @Quicken Anja suggests, will return your file to its previous state until everything is fixed.

Thank you for reporting this!  You should not be prompted to migrate again, unless you deactivate the original Amex accounts in your file (deactivating the new accounts won't have an impact).

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited February 2023
    Hello @dave344,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Before you begin any troubleshooting attempts, we first advise saving a backup.

Then, I suggest that you please deactivate the 2 new accounts that were created and then delete them. Please, follow the steps found in this support article to deactivate. Once deactivated, right-click each of the new account names and select Edit/Delete account and click Delete Account on the bottom left. Follow the prompts to complete the deletion of each account.

Once they have both been deleted, attempt reconnect the original two accounts through Add Account, by navigating to Tools > Add Account..., search for your Financial Institution name, and follow the prompts to connect. Once your account(s) have been found, be sure to link them to the existing account(s) you have already set up in Quicken.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kathryn
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Hi @dave344 - just to give you a little more detail on this as well--we are starting the transition to EWC+ with Amex, and the server cutover was actually last night.  This phase of the migration is optional--however, judging from the timing of your post, you may have updated right in the midst of launch and testing.  During testing, we found that for Windows users, the 'new' EWC+ accounts were not linking correctly to existing accounts, which, unfortunately, accounts for your experience.

When we discovered this issue, we stopped the migration process for Windows users, and we already have a new patch that we're testing for Windows to correct this issue.  In the meantime, deactivating these new accounts, as @Quicken Anja suggests, will return your file to its previous state until everything is fixed.

Thank you for reporting this!  You should not be prompted to migrate again, unless you deactivate the original Amex accounts in your file (deactivating the new accounts won't have an impact).

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • I experienced the exact same issue today - I was prompted to re-authorize, followed the steps, and new accounts were created for each of my Amex accounts. Was the new patch put into production? If so it does seem to have addressed the issue.

Before I deactivate and delete any accounts can anyone confirm that the process to address this issue is the same as the Feb 1 post above?
  • dave344
    dave344 Member ✭✭✭
    emuller58:  the re-authorization process described above, while it did not work, was benign.  In other words, I simply deleted the new accounts it created and I did not lose any transactions in the original accounts.  But I update daily so perhaps there just weren't any transactions in the new accounts that did not already exist in the original accounts.  

I am still having problems getting the re-authorization to complete successfully and have opened a new thread on this forum entitled "Botched Amex Re-Authorization : Part Deux."  Based on the responses it has received, the process seems to be working for some users now.  However, for me it will still not complete.  Please see that thread for updates.  Good luck. 
  • Ducati
    Ducati Member ✭✭
    My Am-Ex re-authorization worked but I am now finding the new download from Am-Ex proceeds significantly slower than the old Direct Connect method.
  • shidden
    shidden Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    My AMEX re-authorization worked but each time I download transactions, I am getting prompted to reauthorize an acct for an AMEX card that is closed in Quicken, has been removed from my AMEX online acct and was canceled over 3 months ago.  Pretty annoying!
  • DavdM
    DavdM Member ✭✭
    Same issue as some others on here. Go to update my AmEx account and I get the screen "your financial institution connection(s) needs an update". OK, I click through which takes me to an AmEx web page where I sign in to my AmEx account, it sits a few seconds and tells me that my update was "successful". Back to Quicken and I select "link to an existing account", I select my AmEx account and it then proceeds to download hundreds of transactions going back years into a new AmEx account under the Accounts list. Also, my "ending balance" is off by hundreds of dollars. The only way out of this mess was to simply delete the "new" AmEx account. Now every time I try to download from Amex, I get the nag screen that I need to "reauthorize" the account. And I have done this several times and the reauthorize is always "successful". But I continue to get the nag screen every time and get the same huge download into a new account if I try to download (yes, I have selected "link to an existing account" and made sure my existing (and only) AmEx account was selected). So I have gone back to downloading my transactions from the AmEx web page which works fine and seems to be faster anyway. Kind of defeats the purpose of Quicken.

With all due respect to the Moderators, I have seen a number of issues with AmEx downloads on several conversations, but no one has posted a solution to the issue. Is there a solution? Or is this going to be one of those things we will just have to put up with?
  • dave344
    dave344 Member ✭✭✭
    FYI the re-authorization finally worked successfully for me this evening. 

I cannot offer any advice to others than to just be patient with the screens as you transistion from Amex back to Quicken.  For me it took an inordinate amount of time.  But I was patient and gave it time and it eventually worked.   One thing that was different this time was that upon returning to Quicken I was offered an option to download transactions into existing accounts or create new accounts.  Of course I specified existing accounts.  If you reach this point, your re-authorization is probably going to be successful.

Good luck all.
  • When I log into the page on the AmEx site it goes into a loop of logging me out over and over and hangs there. Is there a way to turn this off until the issues are fixed?
  • WillyG
    WillyG Member ✭✭
    I've been having the same issue, but after I go through the process of deactivating the account, it will not reactivate and locks up my quicken (windows version) and then I have to use the Task Manager to close Quicken before I can do anything else. I do not get the "authorization message". I have the current version 47.15 loaded.
  • fricknh
    fricknh Member ✭✭
    Based on myexperience quicken is not worth the annual fee!
  • fricknh
    fricknh Member ✭✭
    I have spent over a week trying to resolve why updating my checking account loads american express date into the bank account. getting real tired of it!
This discussion has been closed.