Mojave will no longer be supported

daneg007
daneg007 Member ✭✭
Upgrade to Catalina is not possible as other applications will break as operation under Catalina is not guaranteed. I have Several questions below:

1...If I never use connections to banks or other financial institutions how does that impact upgrades?

2..Will upgrades look at my os version and stop the upgrade automatically or must I reject upgrade?

3..will I get money back as i have paid for a year of upgrades that will not happen?

Answers

• azreddog
    azreddog Member
    I suppose you won't have any problem charging us for upgraded software that we can't use. Raise the price, put a team of your smart people together to keep the older OS's running your new software. Oh I know, Apple and Microsoft don't do that and the OS's are 4 whole years old. Just go out and buy a new computer. Throwing people who have stuck with you for more than 25 years to the side of the road is good business practice right? Stand up, get some balls, do something different. Take care of loyal customers.
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @azreddog - they ARE taking care of their loyal customers by making sure that their software continues to work on Microsoft and Apple platforms that THOSE companies continues to support.  if Quicken had to support all the versions back to DOS based software, they'd probably charge the rest of us a lot more. 
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can always try to run an older version of macOS in a Virtual Machine if you need to hold on to an older version of QMac.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    daneg007 said:
    1...If I never use connections to banks or other financial institutions how does that impact upgrades?
    It means there are fewer things to potentially break in the future. the next update to Quicken, version 6.12, will install on your Mac running Mojave. Releases after that will not, but you can still run your Quicken 6.12 on Mojave indefinitely. At some point, Quicken might change the way the software authenticates with the mother ship, and then you'll be stuck unless you upgrade — but you might be able to operate for a long time on 6.12 if you don't use any connected services.

daneg007 said:
    2..Will upgrades look at my os version and stop the upgrade automatically or must I reject upgrade?
    If it works the way they've done in the past, it will simply not tell you there's an upgrade available based on your operating system. If they program it correctly. ;) 

daneg007 said:
    3..will I get money back as i have paid for a year of upgrades that will not happen?
    Nope, there's no provision for that. (Just as you don't get money back for not using their connected services.) It's your choice to not upgrade to a compatible operating system. They have published for years that Quicken Mac will support the current and two most recent operating systems. In practice, they've made things work for a few years beyond that, like making the current Quicken Mac still work on High Sierra and Mojave, as well as Catalina, even though they fall outside the stated system requirements. And they've given users several months of notice of the future plans, since the first release which won't support Mojave probably won't be out until sometime in April. (They've been doing releases roughly every two months, so I'm guessing 6.12 will be out in February, and then the next one -- it might be called 6.13 or 7.0 -- would likely follow in April.)

FWIW, I still have Mojave on one of my two Macs, and it's the one I use for Quicken. I've been holding onto some old Microsoft and Adobe software which I haven't wanted to pay to upgrade. But I've known since Catalina came out in 2019 that I was on borrowed time and I'd eventually need to pay the piper. So sometime in 2023, I'll upgrade this Mac, and either pay for or decide to do without my old 32-bit software. 

azreddog said:
    I suppose you won't have any problem charging us for upgraded software that we can't use. Raise the price, put a team of your smart people together to keep the older OS's running your new software. Oh I know, Apple and Microsoft don't do that and the OS's are 4 whole years old. Just go out and buy a new computer. Throwing people who have stuck with you for more than 25 years to the side of the road is good business practice right? Stand up, get some balls, do something different. Take care of loyal customers.
    I don't think you're understanding the issue. They're not "throwing people to the side of the road". As Apple continually updates its operating system, it changes or takes away functionality which program like Quicken may have used. And it adds new OS features which enable developers like Quicken to add new features utilizing those tools. We've seen over the past several releases that some of the new features in Quicken Mac have required Catalina or above, because those features use some elements not available in older operating systems. And financial industry security methodologies often change and require supported -- patched against malware -- operating systems to interact with their servers. 

If you look at a website which tracks macOS users by the operating system they're running, you'll see that as of December, High Sierra was in use by 3.7% and Mojave by 3.1%, while more than 90% are using Catalina and beyond. What you're asking them to do is to invest significant programming time to re-work older code to work around deprecated features in the operating system, and to rigorously test their software against many versions of macOS. That's not just a viable strategy for a relatively small developer (like Quicken) of a relatively complex program (like Quicken).

You and I as users have every right to keep our old computers, and to keep our old operating systems and our old software. But we can't expect developers to add new features and fix bugs in their software and to make it work on old versions of operating systems which are no longer supported, updated and patched.

In any case, your posts here are not being read by Quicken management, only fellow Quicken users and a handful of site moderators, so railing against company policies here is a wasted effort. ;)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • itasara
    itasara Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I did not want to upgrade my system and now I cannot get upgrades for quicken from my bank. I have to say this is more than frustrating. So if I upgrade, I lose MS word and a couple other programs I use and like. If I quit Quicken now I'll lose my membership fee which is somewhat hefty considering only use the checkbook feature. It is not like Quicken will compensate me for losing MS word. Your website says "If an update is available for your software, you'll be presented with the ability to download and install the update." It does not say if you do not upgrade the bank won't be able cooperate with upgrading latest payments. How about Quicken pays me to buy a new MS word? I see comments some are having trouble with the new quicken upgrade. Why should I have to take that chance, although right now I cannot use Quicken. I just did not count on this when I stayed with Quicken with which I have been a member for many years. The thing for me is also that I am not interested in Quicken new feature upgrades. I use the register part and that is the only reason I have quicken.
  • jacobs
    I’m confused… The change for Quicken Mac is in the future; are you having a problem currently? Whenever the next version comes out in a month or so, you won’t be able to install that upgrade — but you should still be able to use your existing version 6.12.x.
  • itasara
    itasara Member ✭✭
    "@azreddog - they ARE taking care of their loyal customers by making sure that their software continues to work on Microsoft and Apple platforms that THOSE companies continues to support. if Quicken had to support all the versions back to DOS based software, they'd probably charge the rest of us a lot more. " Microsoft word still works on Mohave. I can use it and export MS word documents. If and when I upgrade I would have to buy a new MS word. But there are other products I can use that pretty much do the same thing and also recognize ms word documents. So do you know of similar quicken-like programs that will work with Mojave?
  • jacobs
    @itasara Personal finance programs like Quicken are very different than Microsoft Word, because they have to interact with financial institutions, log into secure servers, and access sensitive private financial data. MacOS Mojave is no longer supported by Apple, and is not patched for security vulnerabilities, so financial institutions make third parties like Quicken user changing, tighter security protocols to try to keep hackers from gaining access to their systems. Microsoft Word doesn't face any such issues.

Additionally, Microsoft Word gets incremental improvements, but the core program from many years ago still works. On my Mac currently running Mojave, I have the ancient Microsoft Office 2008, now 15 years old. But Quicken Mac is evolving at a very different pace; I still have a copy of Quicken Mac 2015 on that computer; it's 8 years old, and it's hugely different than (and inferior to) the current Quicken Mac.

So the point is that Quicken Mac is continuing to evolve, for both features and keeping up with changing financial institution protocols, and if you want to keep using Quicken Mac, you have to accept that you'll need to stay somewhat up-to-date with your computer and software. And by up-to-date, I mean operating systems within the past roughly four years, and computers within the past 10 years. Almost all Macs sold within the past 11 years can run the four year-old macOS Catalina. Of course, Catalina was one of those major dividing line operating system upgrades which eliminated old 32-bit software applications. For the small percentage of users who are still using Mojave to be able to use very old software, there's a choice to make about whether to stay behind on Mojave in order to continue using their old software or to  advance to Catalina or beyond in order to use upgraded/current software — it's not always possible to have both. So you have to decide to buy a new version of MS Word so you can update your computer, or buy some other personal finance program which might still run on your old operating system.

There are no "Quicken-like" programs with the full range of features in Quicken, but there certainly are other personal finance programs and service out there. Since this is Quicken's forum, we can't talk about alternatives to Quicken here. (I just looked at one such competing program and see it requires Catalina or above.) I would just caution you to consider that you'll have the expense of buying something else, the time you'll need to invest to learn the other software, the time it will take to re-create your data in the other program — and once you've done all that, the other program might drop support for Mojave at any time, leaving you back where you started. You might find an online-only service, such as Quicken's Simplifi, meets your needs to managing your checkbook, and because it only uses a web browser, you aren't as tied to your computer's operating system. But even old web browsers fails or are blocked by financial webs ties eventually, so this might only buy you a limited amount of time. 

Having explained all that, I'm still confused by your initial post. Nothing has changed yet with Quicken Mac, but you stated "now I cannot get upgrades for quicken from my bank" and I don't know what you mean. If you're saying you aren't able to download transactions from your bank currently, that has nothing to do with this whole discussion about the next release of Quicken Mac; the current version should work correctly on your Mojave Mac. (I still get downloads from my banks in Quicken on my Mac running Mojave.) And even after the next release of Quicken Mac, which won't run on Mojave, your existing version of Quicken Mac should continue to work. So if you are having a problem now, it's something between your bank and Quicken's connectivity provider.
  • Like the OP, I'm running on Mojave because I've invested big money in software that does not run on newer macOS - like Microsoft Office Pro (standalone version) and Adobe Master Collection CS6 (last standalone version). And many more which are important to me. I'm not willing - neither I can afford to pay for the subscriptions to MS and Adobe services. Nor I can justify buying new mac and loosing access to my programs just because of Quicken.

I never use connections to banks or any online services. I enter all transactions manually.

My questions are this:

1) shouldn't Quicken stop charging us money for the older versions, software they are not supporting anymore?
    2) if I stop my subscription, will Quicken block me from accessing my own data?
  • jacobs

If you allow your subscription to lapse, you'll still be able to run Quicken, but they will steal roughly 20% of the right side of the window for a message about renewing. But you still have access to your data.

• itasara
    itasara Member ✭✭
    ok, so because I was unable to get transactions from the bank, I gave in and upgraded to ios Ventura because that is what the settings on my computer said I needed to do. I was wrong about MS word. It still works for now. I did however have to give up two perfectly usable and working printers with which I was happy. For Apple and HP they were outdated, but for me they were good useable printers except for this upgraded technology. The new Apple system was incompatible with these printers. I had replaced one of them before I upgraded the OS system as it did not work with the new router and modem. The other printer was working sometimes, but started to work fine after a couple weeks. Since the OS upgrade! The brand new printer worked well with the new router, but NOT with the OS upgrade. I spent at least more than an hour with HP customer service who tweaked all kinds of settings and eventually we got the new printer up and running. I never could have fixed it on my own-way too complicated. I guess this is called "Progress." Does anyone need a couple printers?
This discussion has been closed.