dividends and interest report

Lee64
Lee64 Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I cannot figure out how to generate a YTD report of dividends and interest from my brokerage and savings accounts. Thank you.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Sorry, I had wrongly assumed you were looking to report only on investment accounts.

Since you want to also capture interest from savings accounts you could do what @Ps56k2 suggested, what @Jim_Harman suggested or you could pull an Itemized Categories report (under Spending reports) and customize that to include any account and any income category that you wish. When you get a report customized the way you like it (whichever route you go), save it to My Reports so you can easily retrieve it, again, in the future.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You could use any of the “By Category” Spending reports found in the Reports > Reports & Graphs Center.. Even though they are called Spending reports, they can show income instead or in addition if you want. Feel free to experiment; you can't damage anything with these reports.

Click the gear at the top right to customize the report and select the accounts and Categories you want to include. Note that the Investing income categories begin with _underscores and are hidden by default. Life will be easier if you go to Tools > Category List and un-check the Hidden box for these Categories. After customizing, you can save the report if you want to use it again.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023

Have you tried going to Reports > Investing > Investment Income?

Once the report is opened you can customize it to how you want to see it as shown in the following picture. You can even customize it to show only the DivInc and IntInc categories if that is what you wish.:

Let me know if this helps you get what you are looking for or if you are looking for something else.

• Lee64
    Lee64 Member ✭✭
    Jim_Harman: I tried your suggestion but only got interest from bank accounts but nothing from brokerage accounts, even though I checked brokerage accounts in the account list.
    Boatnmaniac: your suggestion gave me interest and dividends from brokerage accounts, but nothing from bank accounts. I could not add bank accounts to the account list.
    Thank you!
  • Jim_Harman

Did you go to Tools > Category List and un-hide the investing income Categories? They begn with underscores, like _DivInc and _IntInc. Then go to the report and make sure they are included in the Categories.

• Lee64
    Lee64 Member ✭✭
    I have the _divinc _intinc and similiar _items checked.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

If you are using the —> Investment Income Report…
    then you will only see Accounts that are showing in the Account List as “Investing”.
    If you have bank accounts with “Interest” that you want treated as investments,
    then … Edit —> Account —> Display Option tab —> Account Intent pull down —> change to Investment -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    edited March 2023

OK sorry, I just checked and the Spending by Category report excludes the investing income categories even if they are checked on the Categories tab. It also shows income as a negative expense, which is less than ideal.

Please use Income and Expense by Category or the Banking > Cash flow report instead.

On the Accounts customization tab, make sure the investing accounts you want are selected. Investing accounts are excluded by default.

On the Categories tab, select the Category you use for bank interest plus the desired investment income Categories (with underscores)

Does it work now?

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓

Sorry, I had wrongly assumed you were looking to report only on investment accounts.

Since you want to also capture interest from savings accounts you could do what @Ps56k2 suggested, what @Jim_Harman suggested or you could pull an Itemized Categories report (under Spending reports) and customize that to include any account and any income category that you wish. When you get a report customized the way you like it (whichever route you go), save it to My Reports so you can easily retrieve it, again, in the future.

• Lee64
    Lee64 Member ✭✭
    The Itemized Category report under Spending reports worked. Thanks. I think this information should be more directly available.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

Another good way is to use a banking summary report. Then on the display tab select the options to show categories as columns and accounts as rows. Then on the categories tab select only those income categories you are interested in such as dividend income etc. (FWIW I believe this is what is called a cross tab query)

I use this every year for my taxes and it works great! It took me a while to realize how I built it which brings up the idea that maybe saved reports should include text as to what template it is based upon.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jim_Harman

@Bob_L I have also had trouble telling what template a customized report is based on and I agree saved reports should have a way to tell.

And here is the Idea post I entered on this topic a while ago. Please add your comments and vote for it!

This discussion has been closed.