Repeatedly having to "Reset Account" for transactions to download

bmackey55
bmackey55 Member ✭✭✭
Over the last couple of months, I have needed to "Reset Account" in "Online Services" tabs of my accounts to get the transactions to download.

Transactions cease to download but One-Step-Update completes successfully. See screen shot #1 and note that CapitalOne says it was successful but the date still set to 3/5/2023. which correlates with the last transaction downloaded. (today's date is 3/12/23)

I reset the account and 16 transactions were downloaded. See screen shot #2

This is happening on all of my accounts, not just CapitalOne, but I can't detect any pattern.

Comments

• ddilday8
    ddilday8 Member ✭✭

I have the same issue with all the banks I connect to. I've reset multiple accounts but this didn't fix ro change my results at all. I'm using the latest version of Quicken for Windows. This issue is for any account I connect via the new Express Web Connect+

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

One aspect of EWC+ that has never really been addressed by Quicken is the “token” that, presumably, makes ESP+ more secure than ESP. That is, instead of the aggregator transmitting your User ID and Password to financial institutions it sends it a token that identifies your account. The token gets created when you authorise the financial institution to provide the account information to the aggregator.

These tokens are supposed to expire from time to time and it's unclear how long a token is good for. You'd think that if a token expires and you go to do a One Step Update that the aggreator would understand that the token needs “refreshing” and would pass that information back to Quicken, so that Quicken would tell you “You need to reauthorize downloading from {Name]”, but it doesn't.

• bmackey55
    bmackey55 Member ✭✭✭
    @Tom Young - Are you saying that having to execute the "Reset Account" function every couple of weeks is expected behavior?
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

No, I'm not. I'm really just making the point that it seems like Quicken should be in a position to inform it's users that a re-authorization to permit downloading is needed because the token has expired, but it doesn't.

As it's happened, two or three times now I've realized that an Account using EWC+isn't receiving downloads even though Quicken's One Step Update Summary tells me that all financial institutions have been updated. In these instances I've found that resetting these Accounts takes me back through the authorization process. I can only speculate that this happends because a token has expired, but I don't really know that. I think Quickern could be telling me that at the time the token has expired.

• MLC
    MLC Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    This has been happening to me constantly, multiple times per week. Doesn't matter what accounts - Discover, Wells Fargo, all of them.

I reset Discover this past weekend and as of today it is no longer updating; and the only way that I know this is by going to reconcile and looking at the "balance as of" date.

I'm so sick of this I'm going to just turn off One Step Update and download transactions manually. That has become more reliable than having to babysit this thing all of the time.
  • This also happens to me nearly every time. I have placed calls to Quicken support and they walk me through the steps of resetting or deactivating each affected account while they blame the financial institutions. After a reset, sometimes all transactions are downloaded and sometimes transactions are missing which requires a line by line look at transactions to find the missing that are not appearing, but are included in the online balance received. In addition, the the opening balance of my credit card accounts are SOMETIMES changed. What?!?

I worked in IT and understand the importance of enduser feedback. Admittedly, when an issue occurs, I will report it or sometimes take the "wait and see if this works itself out" approach. This issue however is not being resolved. I have reported it and tried to work with support (screen shots/screen sharing) so they understand what is happening. Sadly, support seems to want to resolve my immediate issue without correcting the underlying cause. Hours out of my life and it still doesn't work correctly. Extremely frustrating.

• BarryMo
    BarryMo Member ✭✭✭
    Same problem for me. Over the last few days, I have seen problems w Discover Bank, Schwab and 2 credit cards.
  • bmackey55
    bmackey55 Member ✭✭✭
    I just spent a couple of hours with customer support. They were nice but I don't know if my issue is resolved. The good news is she was able to see another aspect of the issue I didn't notice when I first reported this.

After "Resetting" online access most of my accounts would haver their "Opening Balanced" changed to the sum of the new transactions. For example if you have 2 transactions that hadn't yet been downloaded that totaled $20.00, your opening balance would be changed to that amount AND the transaction would not be listed in the Download Transactions log for processing.

We did a file validate and there were many "Damaged Data Blocks" so she had me do CTRL-SHIFT while creating a copy. Which created a copy of my data but I had to reconnect ALL of my online accounts.

Fingers crossed this works.
  • BeLikeWater
    BeLikeWater Member ✭✭
    Same problem for me. I thought it was something I did, but looks like it is buggy behavior from Quicken.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

Are any of you seeing "Not available" in the Last Download column for connected accounts in Account List?

Are any of you not seeing the date/time stamp for the last download and the connection method listed directly under the Account Name in the upper left corner of the Account Register(s) for connected accounts?

Are any of you finding that accounts which were showing as updating during OSU not then being shown in the OSU Summary?

Also: Is this issue occurring with just EWC and EWC+ accounts or is it also occurring with DC accounts?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• BeLikeWater
    BeLikeWater Member ✭✭
    Are any of you seeing "Not available" in the Last Download column for connected accounts in Account List?
    -- Not for me. E.g., my Discover card says last transaction downloaded March 9.

Are any of you not seeing the data/time stamp and connection method listed directly under the Account Name in the upper left corner of the Account Register(s) for connected accounts?
    -- Looking at the same Discover card as above, in the register view it says last downloaded March 30 vi aExpress Web Connect. I have done a "one step update" today, and Quicken claims that it checked the account for updates.

Are any of you finding that accounts which were showing as updating during OSU not then being shown in the OSU Summary?
    -- Yes, a few days ago it showed 5 accounts updated even though it claims it checked all.
This discussion has been closed.