Why are some of my retirement plan investments missing?

Options
debsterc
debsterc Member

I just started with Quicken today and I notices that two of the funds I hold in my retirement 401K are not showing up. All the others in that same plan are there.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @debsterc,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Which financial institution are you trying to connect to? Is your Quicken connected to the financial institution using Direct Connect or Quicken Connect? You can check this by selecting the account in your account bar, then going up to Accounts>Settings to pull up the account settings window for that account. Click on the Downloads tab and you should be able to see the connection type.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• debsterc
    debsterc Member
    Options

It's my Vanguard retirement plan. When I go up to the bar across the top & select accounts, settings is greyed out

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply,

If the option is greyed out, that usually means you don't have the account selected. You'd want to make sure to select the account in your account bar so that you can see the account name is highlighted.

Then you should have the option to choose settings.

If its still greyed out, you can also access account settings by clicking on the gear icon. If you are on Dashboard or the Portfolio tabs of the account, the icon will be near the upper right. If you are on the Transactions tab, the gear icon will be near the lower right.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• debsterc
    debsterc Member
    Options

Ok yes I was able to do that…thanks. The account is connected via Quicken Connect.

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for the information,

Many financial institutions don't make the full information available when connecting through Quicken Connect. I would recommend connecting via Direct Connect to get it to pull in the full information for the account. Follow these directions to change the connection type:

1. Back up your Quicken file.
    2. Go to account settings for that account (following the directions in my earlier post).
    3. Select the Downloads tab.
    4. You should see a button that says Change Connection. Click on that button.
    5. That button will take you to the add account screen with the financial institution you're connected to showing pre-selected. Hit the Continue button.
    6. It will take you to the login prompt. Before logging in, look near the lower right for an Advanced button. Click on that button.
    7. If you do not see an Advanced button, you might want to hit Start Over and see if you can find a connection with your financial institution that does give that option.
    8. When you click on the Advanced button, it will show you what connection options are available. Select Direct Connect if it gives you that choice. If it doesn't give you that choice, you may want to hit cancel, then select start over to see if there is a connection with your financial institution that does give you that choice.
    9. Once you have selected Direct Connect, click continue. It will put you back on the screen asking for your financial institution login information. Follow the prompts to connect. Note: Some financial institutions require additional steps through their website or over the phone with them to connect using Direct Connect.
    10. When it brings you to the screen showing the accounts available to add or link in Quicken, verify that it linking to the existing account and not trying to add it as a new account. If it says its adding, you can hit that dropdown and select the correct account name in Quicken for it to link to.

Let me know how it goes!

Quicken Kristina

• debsterc
    debsterc Member
    Options

So I had to create a new connection and now a number of accounts are duplicated.

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @debsterc,

Thank you for providing more information.

First, I would delete the duplicated accounts (please be careful to make sure that you are not deleting the original accounts). You can delete an account by right-clicking on the account and then clicking Delete, then Delete again.

Next, I suggest deactivating the Vanguard account(s). However, before doing so, I do recommend saving a backup of your data file first (just in case). Then, please check and make sure you do not have any hidden accounts that may be connected to this financial institution.

1. Go to the Accounts menu and choose Hide and Show Accounts
    2. Uncheck any accounts with this specific financial institution that are checked as hidden in Lists

After that, please follow the troubleshooting instructions below.

1. Open the account register and navigate to the Settings gear on the bottom-right corner
    2. Click on the Downloads tab
    3. Click Disconnect Account (if there are more than one account associated with this financial institution, please repeat steps 1 through 3 for each account)
    4. Navigate to Accounts > Add Account...
    5. Use the search field at the top of the list to find and select your financial institution, making sure to choose Direct Connect, and click Continue
    6. Follow the prompts to sign in using your login credentials associated with the financial institution
    7. If the accounts have been found successfully; use the dropdown menus to link each account to the appropriate account in Quicken

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.