How long is Quicken Subscription activation code good for?

dannytao
dannytao Member
I’d like to renew my current subscription. Can I renew with a new copy of Quicken 2020 or do I need Quicken 2023? Do older versions of Quicken subscription software that is new and unopened ever expire?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Subscription codes are good for 2 years from when they are created. So a code from 2020 is almost certainly not going to be useable in 2023 & I wouldn't spend any money on one.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭

And, from my experience, tech support isn't very sympathetic to extending your subscription with an expired code. In my case, this was also back in the day when there was NO MENTION AT ALL on the packaging or the key card that the code had an expiration date. I complained that it was unfair that they would enforce an expiration date when no mention of one was ever made. They threw me a bone by extending my subscription by a month, but I was SOL.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Sadly, all activation codes have an expiration date, which is on the activation card inside the box, and it is typically about 2 years from the initial release date of that “year” version. The only exception is/was the ones issued with the first 2018 subscription packages, which have/had no expiration.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• WST2
    WST2 Member ✭✭
    Dunno if that is true. I just bought a closeout copy at BestBuy. Had Deluxe, but this was Premier for <$42. The disk/card both said 2019 - Why don't they put an expiration date on the card??!?!? Anyway, the activation worked fine except that it didn't quite add a full year, it was a couple of weeks short. But even with this old package it still worked.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Why don't they put an expiration date on the card??!?!?

Actually, they should put it on the box, so people would know before purchasing and opening the shrink wrap if the code inside has expired. If they can put a "sell by" date on a box of cereal, then they could certainly do the same on a box of software. Why don't they? No one knows! I'd guess because it would cost more to manufacture the boxes to do so. I'd think their customer support people waste a lot of time with annoyed customers who have purchased a box with a code that doesn't validate.

In any case, glad to hear it worked for you. 😀

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.