Reconciliation Problem

For the past month whenever I update my account, after accepting the transactions listed I get a balance difference. If I accept the adjustment the next time I update (almost every day) that adjustment is offset by another adjustment. I have been using Quicken since it was "born" and have not had this problem before. I have gone back and re-checked everything and compared to my bank. Had the same balance in my checkbook as the bank. Yesterday, no problems. Today, the balances don't equal and I will have to do another adjustment. What the heck has happened?

Answers

• Hello @TLMoberly,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When you are reconciling, are you doing the reconcile to the online balance or are you reconciling to a statement balance? Was there anything that happened just before this issue started, such as a power outage, power surge, computer or program unexpectedly shutting down, etc? Do you keep your file on the C drive, or is it on a shared network drive, or synced with a cloud service (such as OneDrive or Dropbox)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

"For the past month whenever I update my account, after accepting the
    transactions listed I get a balance difference. If I accept the
    adjustment the next time I update (almost every day) that adjustment is
    offset by another adjustment. "

Sounds to me like the wrong "Online Balance" is being downloaded, for some reason and that it's some sort of "timing difference" that corrects itself but sometimes doesn't catch up. What's the name of the financial institution, what's the downloading method?

You should be able to identify if this is the problem. The next time you get this balance difference compare the downloaded Online Balance to what's actually showing at the financial institution's site.

This discussion has been closed.