accessing files from 2002 - needs a File Password (QMac)

orthochef
orthochef Member ✭✭

HELP! I urgently need to access files from 2002 on my old Mac laptop. They are from 2002 and I'm asked for a password. I've tried every variation of the only password I used back in those days and they don't work. Is there any way to access the files?

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

What version of Quicken software is it. (That is, when you launch it, go to About Quicken and see what version it is.) Is there any "Forgot password?" link on the password screen? Sorry, I just don't remember back to what features the software had in a 2002 version.

There used to be an Intuit paid service for accessing a file with a forgotten password, but that service is long gone. (Intuit hasn't owned Quicken since 2016, and Quicken dropped support for Quicken 2007 — the last release of the legacy version of Quicken Mac software — in 2017.)

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to break into a password-protected Quicken file from that time. Perhaps one of the other Quicken Mac users from that era might know if there is some path forward.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • orthochef
    orthochef Member ✭✭

It's Quicken 2000 for Mac

• orthochef
    orthochef Member ✭✭

There isn't a 'forgot password' option, I wish there was!

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

is this being presented with a prompt for "file password" -

or is this a prompt for Quicken User ID and Password

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs

Sorry, I don't have any idea on how to break the password protection; it's unfortunately doing what it was designed to do. 😕

• orthochef
    orthochef Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
  • orthochef
    orthochef Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    There must be some way to do it, if Intuit were able to do it back then. 🤔
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

Your only hope is to contact Customer Support & hope that someone there knows how to get into the file. I don't think anyone else will be able to help you.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken used to in the past provide this service. Not sure if they still do but also not sure if they will still do it for a file format that old.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs

Just to be clear, Intuit used to have a special unit that did this, for a fee. But that's a long time ago. Quicken Inc. dropped support for Quicken 2007 not too long after being spun off from Intuit, and support for Quicken 2000 has been gone for a lot longer than that. I'm doubtful if anyone working at Quicken now was even involved in the software 20+ years ago or knows how they broke into the old Quicken Mac database. Certainly the front line Quicken Support people working their phone and chat call centers won't know.

• orthochef
    orthochef Member ✭✭
    Chat doesn't know, no surprise. I need a hacker :)
This discussion has been closed.