Time date stamp [of last account update]

Options
Jerry Pederson
Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know if Quicken programming displays a time and date stamp as to when the last time OSU happened for each account?

Best Answer

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, it does

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jerry Pederson
    Options

Help me, where would I find the last time OSU was run for a specific account?

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You can view OSUs date(s)/time(s) by going to Help > Contact Quicken > Log Files:

• Connection Log: Lists the most recent connections.
    • Old Connection Log: Lists older connections.

You can also view the OFX Log that is listed there to see what was downloaded for each Financial Institution of the more recent OSUs. The information in this file is not the most user friendly but with some patience and persistence that information can be gleened from it.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You should see the last update time of each account at the top left of the account register under the account name.

You also can see the last download times in the Account List if you add that as an optional column.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jerry Pederson
    Options

Boatnmaniac,

Thanks. from what you are saying the info I am looking for is not part of the various bank and CC account displays, correct?

I have noted a time/date stamp is shown at the bottom of the investment screen and is updated with each inventment update run. Unfortunately, this feature is not provided on other user-friendly screens, i.e., bank and credit card accounts.

• Jerry Pederson
    Options

Rocket J Squirrel,

No luck finding what you are referring to. Any more suggestions?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

What Q product, and what BUILD of that product are you running? This info is at HELP, About Quicken.

Because I'm showing the Date/Time stamp below the account names also.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited March 2023
    Options

Ima draw you a picture or 3.

Banking register:

Investing register:

Account list:

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Jerry Pederson - As mentioned by @Rocket J Squirrel there are a couple of other ways to see the information:

1. At the top left of the Account Register screen just below the account name. NOTE: For me this works only for EWC accounts, not for DC accounts. It also inconsistently works with EWC+ accounts. Not sure why that is. At first I was thinking maybe there was something corrupted in my data file but I noticed it in all 4 of my primary data files and in 2 of my TEST data files. Then I thought maybe it was a corrupted installation but after reinstalling Quicken this still happens.
    2. Tools > Account List: There should be column for "Last Download" and in that column there should be the dates and times for the last downloads shown for each account. NOTE: This is usually reliable but sometimes something happens and even though downloads are occurring the download date/time information for one or more accounts will show in this field as "Not Available". I've never been able figure out why that happens and what can be done to get it corrected. Once it occurs it never self corrects. The only way I've been able to get it reporting correctly, again, is to set up a new Data file and export my accounts from the main data file into the new data file.

EDIT - Added the following picture to illustrate what I said in #1 and #2:

• Rocket J Squirrel
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Boatnmaniac you have your own problems. All my accounts of all types & connection methods properly show the last download time. Have you tried all the usual remedies?

• Jerry Pederson
    Options

To all,

I have now reviewed all my accounts and like others, the Date/Time stamp does NOT appear on all my registers. Out of 30 registers, the Date/Time stamp appears on 7. The same is true on my account listing.

Another Quicken problem to be solved, hopefully.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Perhaps a different problem but perhaps not. So far @Jerry Pederson has said he doesn't see this information so I'm hoping he will post some pictures that will show what he sees (or does not see). If he is not seeing this info as well then perhaps he is experiencing the same thing that I am.

This has happened off and on for about 2 years in only one data file (which I have reconstructed as new data files 3X in the past because of this) but it seems to have gotten worse because it now is happening (with different FIs) in a few other data files. I never really have paid too much attention to it because I wasn't getting any error codes. And downloads and online balance updates were occurring. I just looked now at the Update Summaries (something I don't usually pay much attention to unless I see error codes) and these same accounts that show "Not Available" in Account List are also not showing up at all in the Update Summaries. I'm planning to start up the troubleshooting process again quite soon.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, for every one of my downloadable accounts (DC, EWC+ or EWC), I show a date/time stamp on the Account List.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note that the date/time stamp on the accounts ties into the runtime.dat file and for some reason gets messed up and either doesn't update the date, or the date is completely missing:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Chris_QPW do you think deleting runtime.dat and forcing Quicken to re-create it might help the folks in this thread who con't consistently see last update times?

Also, I see several copies of runtime.dat on my PC but believe the active one is in C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Inet\1997. Obviously, deleting the wrong copy won't help.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

There were quite a few posts about this issue back in late-2020 to early-2021 (a little longer ago than I remembered). I believe all of the threads are now archived but I'm posting a couple of them here, anyway:

There was no solution found for the issue (at least not for the one I had reported) other than setting up a new data file and exporting all my accounts to it which was a real pain. Renaming and deleting the runtime.dat file back then did not fix the issue. I'm just getting started on troubleshooting but so far I'm getting the exact same results that i described back in 2020/2021.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have seen times where removing the runtime.dat file helped, and other times it didn't. In the case of Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + I think resetting the account tends to be the solution.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited March 2023
    Options

Troubleshooting is completed and I was able to resolve the issue.

In the past, renaming/deleting the runtime.dat file and letting OSU rebuild it did not resolve this issue for me but this time it did, although it wasn't a consistent process across all 7 data files.:

• 1 data file: The 1st rebuild of the runtime.dat file during OSU failed to fix the issue at all. A 2nd rebuild fixed the DC FIs but neither Reset Account nor deactivate/reactivate fixed any of the EWC and EWC+ FIs. The 3rd rebuild was a charmer….fixed the DC FIs off the bat and all of the EWC and EWC+ FIs were fixed either with Reset Account or with deactivate/reactivate.
    • 3 data files: The runtime.dat file rebuild only fixed the DC FIs. Most of the EWC and EWC+ FIs were then fixed with Reset Account but 3 of these FIs needed to be deactivated/reactivated before they were fixed.
    • 3 data files: The runtime.dat file rebuild fixed all DC, EWC and EWC+ FIs right off the bat.

I have no idea why that first data file could not be fixed until the 3rd rebuild attempt nor why the other 6 data files were fixed relatively easily. Now the date/time stamps show correctly for all connected Accounts in Account List, in the the Account Registers and in OSU Summary, as they should.

After everything was fixed I ran OSU with each data file, again, and the data/time stamps remained intact and updated. Keeping my fingers crossed that tomorrow morning it will remain problem-free.

• Jerry Pederson
    Options

Boatnmaniac

I will let everyone know. However, it seems to be a lot of work that Quicken s/b addressing.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I agree that it is something that Quicken s/b addressing but I'm not holding my breath. This issue does not appear to come up very often (the last time for me was over 3 yrs ago) and since Quicken is not a large company my guess is that their relatively small engineering team has bigger fish to fry and has prioritized on those things. While I would like it if they fix it, I am certainly glad that this option is available.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

I ran into this issue tonight after a reinstall of Quicken. Following the instructions from @Boatnmaniac resolved the issue. As @Chris_QPW indicates, EWC/EWC+ accounts require the Reset to get straight.

This discussion has been closed.