Synchronizing Quicken between two computers

Options

How do I synch Quicken between a desktop PC and a laptop?

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @MacheteCharlie,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. Sharing a single Quicken file across multiple computers is not recommended, and is not officially supported. You can review this article for more information.

You can enable sync for Mobile & Web (Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web, then turn sync on and click the link to choose which accounts you want to sync), then use Quicken on the Web to view and edit that file from a different computer. If you choose to do this, making sure to sync with the cloud after you have made changes is important; if you don't, then you won't be able to see those changes on the other device.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

How? By manually copying the file back and forth between the two computers. There is NO sync process in Quicken to keep the files on two computers up-to-date.

QMobile/Q-Web will NOT keep the two computers in sync.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• MacheteCharlie
    Options

Getting conflicting answers on this question. One says yes one says there is no synch process.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no safe sync process. Mobile & Web will not only not sync your computers, it will likely damage your data. Copying the file is the only reliable way.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

There is no conflict. Quicken Kristina is referring to using QMobile/Q-Web and only having Quicken on one of the computers. Her first paragraph coincides with the advice I provided. QMobile runs on Android or iOS. Q-Web runs on anything with a browser.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

You can use OneDrive as long as only one computer accesses the data file at a time and you pause OneDrive before opening Quicken. Then after closing Quicken, you resume OneDrive and let it sync.

The first time you open Quicken on a machine that only has the cloud file link and not a local file, you need to keep OneDrive running when accessing the file with Quicken. I'd close it after it syncs/downloads and the follow instructions above before opening again. You can also right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and select "Always keep on this device." That will always keep a synced local file on the machine. The standard behavior is if a file is unused for more than 30 days, it becomes a cloud only file and needs to be opened again to download the synced cloud copy. This allows a very large cloud storage capacity and only keeps files you regularly use locally stored on the machine(s).

It's really pretty easy as long as you remember to let the sync process run after closing so that the cloud file is always the most current version.

• jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have done the same process for years on OneDrive & Dropbox without issues. And yes I know it isn't recommended by Quicken. Also, if your second computer isn't used often, just make sure you let OneDrive or Dropbox sync so that the most recent version is what you are opening.

This discussion has been closed.