Removing erroneous historical data?

silsurf
silsurf Member ✭✭
edited June 2023 in Investing (Mac)
There is brokerage data in one of my accounts that is not correct from 2019. It is creating an inflated portfolio in the historical data which is annoying and I would like to remove just those few instances. But I cannot find the transaction. It shows up in a report, but not in the transaction register.

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Hello @silsurf,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. What report is it showing up in? When did you first notice this issue? Do you keep your file on your hard drive, or is it on a shared network drive? Is it synchronized with any cloud service, such as iCloud or Dropbox? The simplest way to check your file location, if Quicken is open, is to go to File>Show "File Name" in Finder. It will bring up a Finder window with the file highlighted. You can hold the Option key to see the file path.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

What report is showing bogus data? Is it possible that there is incorrect data in the price history for one or more securities, rather than incorrect transactions. It may be that all you'll need to do is open a security, open price history, find a date with a way wrong value, and delete (or correct) it. This sometimes happens when there was a stock split, or sometimes a price for a date is just wrong.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • silsurf
    silsurf Member ✭✭
    I am not sure I would even call it bogus data, there is a transaction from 12/31/2019 that is for millions of dollars which I want to remove. My register doesn't go back that far, the only place I see it is if I run a report on that account, but if I double click on that entry nothing happens.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta

So are you saying that when you click on this account in the left sidebar and open the transaction register for this account, the first/opening transaction is sometime in 2020 or later? Are you sure there are no date filters in the register? (That is, the date filter is showing "All Dates" and there's no green "Clear Filters" button?)

Can I again ask what report you are running which is showing this transaction from 12/31/19?

While viewing this one account, if you switch to Portfolio view, set the filters to "Portfolio Value" and "By Security" and set the As Of date to 12/31/19, what does the portfolio show? Does itshow "No holdings information is available for the selected date"?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • silsurf
    silsurf Member ✭✭
    Thank you for the support!

"So are you saying that when you click on this account in the left sidebar and open the transaction register for this account, the first/opening transaction is sometime in 2020 or later? Are you sure there are no date filters in the register? (That is, the date filter is showing "All Dates" and there's no green "Clear Filters" button?)"

If I show all transactions, and select all dates, there are plenty of transaction listed back to 12/31/2019 and before, but not the transaction containing the information I wish to remove.

"Can I again ask what report you are running which is showing this transaction from 12/31/19?"

If I click on "reports" and "net reports by year" and scroll down to this particular account and click on the total for that year it brings up a new sheet that has all the transactions. On that report the transaction I want to remove appears, but it is not editable.

"While viewing this one account, if you switch to Portfolio view, set the filters to "Portfolio Value" and "By Security" and set the As Of date to 12/31/19, what does the portfolio show? Does itshow "No holdings information is available for the selected date"?"

If I view this one account and switch to portfolio view, I do not see any filter for "portfolio value"? But it is set to:
    All Dates, All Investing Accounts, Any Type and Any Status and there are transactions listed for 12/31/2019, but not the one I am trying to delete.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited April 2023

You have to set the date correctly on the Portfolio view, otherwise it only shows investments you currently own. If the transaction you're looking for involves a investment that you no longer own, then you won't see it on the portfolio view when it's set to today's date.

But it sounds like you're looking at the transaction register rather than the portfolio view, and you should be able to see everything with those settings. However, if there's a green "Clear Filters" button displayed next to "Any Status", press it - that button indicates that soime kind of filtering is active.

Also, make sure there's an up or down caret (^ or v) displated in the Date column header, otherwise the transactions register isn't being sorted by date, and the 12/31/19 transactions won't all be grouped together.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• silsurf
    silsurf Member ✭✭
    It makes more sense now. I really appreciate the guidance. I have used Quicken since its first iteration on the Mac, but there are many aspects of it I find befuddling. Having support from people like you make all the difference.
  • silsurf
    silsurf Member ✭✭
    I have a follow up on this. For some reason certain brokerage items are being fed incorrect data, it seems to be the same items consistently. stock Amazon (AMZN) and US Treasury Bills Zero Coupon. This second one US Treasury Bills is the real problem. It keeps being populated with a share price of $99.89 and that put everything out of wack. But if I remove one instance, it show up on another date or when I refresh my data
This discussion has been closed.