I am getting an Unable to update billers.

When I try to refresh a bill I get the message: Unable to update billers. Qucken could not retrieve the list of billers. Please try again later. I am not sure what this means. Is there an issue? I saw a post like this from earlier in the year and it says it has been closed. I

I seems that bill manager has become very problematic lately. Not sure what is going on.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @jefflock,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start?

To start troubleshooting, I suggest you try to Review and Repair Online billers.  Please save a backup of your data file first.  After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Review and Repair > Review and Repair Online Billers in the dropdown menu.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Let us know how it goes! 

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jefflock
    jefflock Member ✭✭✭

I did that before I sent the question. It said all billers were in sync with the server. However, I did solve the problem on my own. The way I was successful in fixing it was to go to "Manage Online Billers", I selected the problem biller and did an "Edit Password". It connected and solved the problem. I am not sure what caused the problem. My guess is some file corruption. However, I am not sure. It is fixed and that is what I was concerned about.

All this said, I am losing faith in Quicken Bill Manager. It is problematic with a multitude of connection issues (and issues like above). It doesn't always pick up bills, it has connection issues (waiting to connect please try back later), some billers just simply don't work i.e. Xfinity. I don't really know what to do, in the past it was good, now I find myself logging into biller website to make sure Quicken is right. This is taking time that I was hoping to save with Quicken, the exact opposit as to what I should be using the software for.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

About your Bill Manager issues

My 2cents' worth, if I may:

I don't use Bill Pay services or Bill Manager at all, neither the one from Quicken nor the one offered by my bank. Since time "B.I." (before the Internet was invented) I have set up almost all of my recurring payments as Direct Debit, PAC Draft, Autopay, APS, whatever the biller calls it.
    Using the biller's website, I authorized the biller to electronically debit each payment directly from my checking or credit card account on due date. Now I can sit back, relax and wait for it to happen. Instead of having to arm-wrestle Bill Manager into making payment on time I let the biller do all the work for me.

When I get notified of a new statement having arrived, usually by email, all I have to do in Quicken is to run a regular scheduled reminder to record the transaction. Haven't missed a payment in many years.

I recommend you do the same instead of fighting the Bill Manager windmill, missing payments and perhaps getting slapped with penalty interest rates or late fees.

• craig64
    craig64 Member

"unable to update biller" issue still persists having executed all of the above suggestions. Query is quicken investigating a fix.

• bnjacks
    bnjacks Member

I've spent over 2 hours in the last two days with Quicken Support to address the same biller issue with Xfinity, Erie Insurance, and SimpliSafe. Tier 2 support states that I should wait 2 or days for Erie to update my bill. I've had the same issue over last 3+ months and the bill NEVER Fixes.

It appears with all of the posts regarding this issue with NO resolution that Quicken is unable or unwilling to address the issue.

My subscription for Quicken Premium expires in 10 days. I will not be re-newing as Quicken has deteriorated to not be worth it.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

Quicken Bill Manager aka Quick Pay is very unreliable. Anyone using it should know that going into it. This has been discussed incessantly on this board and nothing ever changes. I still continue to try and use it. I spend most of my time updating and trying to fix billers that never fix. Lately, it has gotten even worse. Billers that used to work consistently no longer work. Currently, I have like 3 billers out of 30 (i run a small rental company) that actually work like the program is designed to work. I've just accepted that it is what is it. And I've done the suggested fixes over and over and over and calling support on this issue is a waste of time.

This discussion has been closed.