2 questions.....

Can I run QHB data from a server or cloud device in the home so I can use it on two computers. I do not want to have to download a backup and restore, I just want to use the data on two computers, naturally one at a time.

Second question, is there a way to hide unused catigories without deleting them from prior transactions. I had a couple other homes and I am mixing up the homes and my reports are wrong because i am using wrong catigories.

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

In Quicken for Windows, hiding a category does just that, it hides it from the pick list, it does NOT remove it from existing transactions. To delete a category, you would have to remove it from all existing transaction probably using the merge process from the Category List and then it would be delete-able.

As far as running it on a "real" server, it isn't built for that scenario, BUT, that would not prevent you from installing Quicken on a computer and using remote access software like VNC or Teams and connect to it and access / run Quicken on it remotely.

I know of at least one of the other superusers on this forum that runs Quicken in that sort of setup.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023 Answer ✓

In Quicken for Windows, hiding a category does just that, it hides it from the pick list, it does NOT remove it from existing transactions. To delete a category, you would have to remove it from all existing transaction probably using the merge process from the Category List and then it would be delete-able.

As far as running it on a "real" server, it isn't built for that scenario, BUT, that would not prevent you from installing Quicken on a computer and using remote access software like VNC or Teams and connect to it and access / run Quicken on it remotely.

I know of at least one of the other superusers on this forum that runs Quicken in that sort of setup.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @Axe3596,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. If you do decide to use Quicken on a shared server or use cloud services to share your files between multiple computers, I would recommend you review this article.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Axe3596
    Axe3596 Member

Thank you Kristina, but what I really want to use is a WD cloud device in the house. I really do not like financial data in the real cloud..

• Axe3596
    Axe3596 Member

Splasher, how do you hide the catigory…. I do not see the option… thank you for the hope to resolve

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't have that column showing, click on the gear icon just to the right of my red arrow to change which columns are displayed.

This discussion has been closed.