PNC new connection method

Options
Jim
Jim Member ✭✭

I was just forced to use PNC Bank new connection method. I got reauthorized by PNC Bank. The problem is it will not let me link to existing PNC accounts in Quicken. I have have 5 of them. When I go go to link existing accounts . they are not shown. Other accounts are shown.Must add accounts as new. This does not work for me. They only go back ninety days. I have 10 years worth of transactions that are not showing. I deleted these accounts Kept the old ones. I do not know if this is a Quicken or PNC problem, Waiting for solution. Anyone else have similar problem ?

Comments

• Jim
    Jim Member ✭✭
    Options
    UPDATE: The problem is solved. the problem was with the PNC visa account. It uses web connect. Did everything over again , this time only authorizing the visa account instead of all of them. Was able to link to existing visa. All other accounts worked as before. Sorry everyone
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Glad to hear, thanks for the update.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• WBajwa
    WBajwa Member ✭✭
    Options
    I was just forced to use PNC Bank's new connection method. I reauthorized my PNC Bank accounts but the checking account which was used to send payments no longer allows me to send payments through Quicken. HELP!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Controlling the financial institution's billpay system via Quicken is NOT supported by the new connection method. You would have to start using Quicken's billpay/checkpay system if you wish to continue doing it via Quicken. Depending on the edition of Quicken you are using, it is either free (for a limited number of payments per month) or at an additional monthly fee. You can find the details on the Quicken website.

Your other easy choice is to create the payments on the financial institution's website and then enter them into Quicken manually.

There are three other options:
    1) change banks, but if you find one that supports Direct Connect downloads (which is required for billpay control), don't count on it staying that way for long, most are moving to this new connection type
    2) start writing paper checks again and stick them in an envelop with a stamp and mail them
    3) if it is a credit card payment, have the CC company initiate the payment from their end

• ToGo109
    ToGo109 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

If I don't change my connection type from Direct Connect, can I continue to use PNC's bill pay via Quicken? If not, this really sucks. What's the improvement if I can't use Quicken to create checks.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not changing from DC is not your choice. This is the banking industry choice. You should be looking into alternative payment methods sooner rather than later as this change seems to be upon us now.

• RonWi
    RonWi Member
    Options

Does Quicken intend to update their software to regain these functions?

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023
    Options

Did you not read @GeoffG's response just before your post? Quicken has nothing to do with it, neither does Intuit which maintains those connections as a service that Quicken pays for. The financial institution decides which download methods it wants to support and PNC has decided to not support Direct Connect.

• RonWi
    RonWi Member
    edited May 2023
    Options

When I did the change the only account available to check was the Checking. Both other accounts were already greyed out. Well, I ended up with:

A duplicate Checking ledger (named differently) with 45 days of transactions.

A duplicate Credit Card account (named differently) with 45 days of transactions.

Another, supposedly duplicate Credit Card account, which contained 45 days of credit card transactions and two new transactions that belonged in the Money Market ledger.

I deleted all three accounts and will try again while online or chat or phone with Quicken Support.

[Removed-Personal Information]

• ehammer
    ehammer Member
    Options

I have 3 PNC accounts and only one matched up with the correct Quicken file. I didn't want to have the duplicate problem that Ron Weislogel reported, so chose to not link the other two. Now they no longer show up in my update options and I just don't see how to reauthorize. Thoughts anyone?

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Options

Hello @ehammer.

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When you say only one matched up, could you give more detail what you were seeing? Was it something like this sample image below, where the other accounts were saying "Don't add to Quicken"? If this isn't what you were seeing, could you please provide more info or a screenshot (with personal information obscured or blurred out)? If needed, please refer to this Community FAQ for instructions on how to attach a screenshot. Alternatively, you can also drag and drop screenshots to your response if you are not given the option to add attachments.

If the accounts you chose not to link now aren't showing up in your update options and aren't prompting you to reauthorize, they may be disconnected. You can check that by going to Tools>Account List. If the accounts are connected, you should see the word "yes" in the Transaction Download column.

If the accounts are not connected, then you won't get a reauthorize prompt, but you should be able to authorize them by going to Tools>Add Account and following the prompts. It is always a good idea to backup your file prior to adding or linking accounts.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• ARBusdriver
    ARBusdriver Member
    Options

Wow what a total fail this new connection is so far. I went through the process and two of my accounts were authorized. I selected to link to existing and it linked my checking account but then I noticed the balance was off. I traced it back to an opening balance entry from 10 years ago that was added by the new connection process. For the other account, a HELOC, it wiped out all transactions and says "This loan is paid off". That would certainly be nice but it is not true. It indicates I need to download a transaction file from PNC then upload to Quicken. But if I do that it will not include any of the entries I made such as transfers between accounts within quicken or notes added in the memos blocks. I think I'll have to restore to my last backup and start over unless someone has another suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.