Costco Citibank Visa

Options

Why does Quicken refuse to connect to the Citibank sign in? It has worked a few days ago.

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

CC-502 is an error code that typically applies to EWC connections. This means that those who are getting this error code are likely trying to download their Citi credit cards from the Citibank or Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi financial institutions, both of which have a long history of reliability issues that often take a very long time to get corrected.

Those of you who are trying to download your Citi credit card transaction via Citibank and/or Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi might want to consider changing the download connection to the Citi Cards financial institution which uses the DC connection method and which is much faster, much more reliable and more secure than EWC. Following are the steps to do this (this works with Citi credit cards, not with other types of Citi accounts).

1. For each Citi credit card account: Enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field of that transaction. (This is not a requirement. It is simply a proactive step that can be very helpful should this process result in changing the Opening Balance transaction amount…something that does not usually happen but can sometimes happen.)
    2. Back up your data file (for just in case something goes wrong in the following steps).
    3. Log into your Citi.com account.
    4. If you have any Citi cards that are not listed there, go to Services > Link Citi Credit Card > select Credit Card > fill in the appropriate information > Next. This will work for linking most Citi issued credit cards to your Citi.com account but some co-branded credit cards (such as Sears Mastercard) will not link.
    5. In Quicken….for each Citi card that is linked to your Citi.com account: Account List > Edit > Online Services tab > Deactivate.
    6. Log back into your Citi.com account.
    7. Click on Profile > More Settings > under Security click on Manage Desktop Apps > Add Access > Continue.
    8. Within 10 minutes of completing #7, in Quicken: Add Account > type in Citi Cards in the Search field (do NOT select the Citi logo) > Advanced Options > select Direct Connect > Next > enter your Citi.com login information (and if desired, check the box for Save to Password Vault) > Connect > carefully ensure that the downloaded data from Citi is Linked to the credit card account(s) that are already listed in Quicken and that the Account Type and Account Name are correct.

Your Citi credit cards should now be set up with Direct Connect.

If the account balances are OK, then you are done.

If the account balances are not OK…things to check:

• Check the Opening Account balance. If it does not match what you previously entered into the Memo field, change it to match what is in the Memo field.
    • Are there any duplicate transactions entered? If there are, delete one of each duplicate. (If there are any duplicates, it is likely they will be within the last 90 days but they might go back further.)
    • Check for a 2nd Opening Account transaction with a more recent date than the original one. If you find one, delete it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @barry702,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Which version of Quicken were you using when the issue started? Are you getting any error messages or error codes? Is this happening when you try to update your account(s) or when you are trying to add/reconnect your account(s)?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

With the only information being a question without other detail it's impossible to answer the "why does" question. That card at Citibank does allow for downloading via the Direct Connect (DC) method, arguably the most reliable method out there, so if you're not using that method I'd suggest you pull up the Account Details window, click on the Online Services tab, and click on "Change connection method" and switch to DC. Otherwise, probably the first thing to try is to click the Reset Account button under Online Services. That frequently fixes things.

• tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am getting a CC-502 error with Citibank (mine is the same Costco-branded card as the OP has) as of today. I've tried a few times between 3pm and 7:45pm EDT today and same CC-502 error. Last time I downloaded from Citi was Saturday 9/9 and it worked just fine then.

I've not touched the settings for the card in months, so it's not just the OP with an issue with Costco/Citi card.

• Tom Young
    Options

CC-502 tells me that Express Web Connect (of either flavor) is the downloading method. My Citibank Costco credit card worked fine this morning, using Direct Connect.

There can be "local to you" problems with downloading, sometimes associated with file data corruption. (or not), and given the extremely large number of people that have a Citibank Costco card it's not at all unlikely that a few people might have the same problem with the card, though we don't know it the OP's problem is associated with CC-502 or not.

Quicken has limited information about the CC-502 as indicated in the FAQ:

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-updating-accounts-cc-502

• Diane Bielanski
    Options

I have also been receiving this error with my three Citibank Mastercards as of yesterday, September 17 (Sunday). I'm at Quicken R52.20 (the latest) and use Windows 11. If they were running maintenance yesterday, and they seem to have traffic issues in the early morning — I'd give it until afternoon Monday, September 18 before becoming too concerned.

• LinM971
    LinM971 Member ✭✭
    Options

Having the same problem. Will try again this afternoon.

• LinM971
    LinM971 Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having the same issue. I will try again on Monday (9/18) afternoon.

• DanZ
    DanZ Member ✭✭
    Options

Also having this problem since early Sunday AM for both my Costco Citi card and my Citi Doublecash card.

• Dave H
    Dave H Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I am having this same problem for the past several days. Started out as a CC-502 error, after I disconnected this Citi account and reconnected, I now get a FDP-102 error.

• Tom Young
    Options

Quicken's FAQ on FDP-102 errors:

https://www.quicken.com/support/error-102-while-adding-account-quicken-mac

Pretty much reads the same as the CC-502 error FAQ referenced above.

There's an Alert in here that seems to acknowledge the problem, though "Costco" isn't directly mentioned. The latest post to this Alert has a purported work around.

• tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I read the above link in Tom Young's post, the workaround is removing 2 step authentication.

In my case I never set up 2 step authentication with the account so there is no workaround for my case. As of today, Sept. 18 at 9:29am EDT I still am getting CC-502 error. There used to be a setting in the Costco card account to allow Quicken to access my card's transactions but I could find no setting for it I can find now, nor did their help files mention it anymore.

• Betse M
    Betse M Member
    Options

Also having the same issue for several days, Costco Visa and CC-502. Quicken version R52.20, Build 27.1.52.20

• kibatme
    kibatme Member ✭✭
    Options

Same problem. Also not using 2 step authentication, so no workaround. Same version / build.

• kibatme
    kibatme Member ✭✭
    Options

Additional info. Used the "Manage your desktop apps" link at citi.com. It directed me to attempt connecting on my desktop app with 10 minute countdown. Quicken still throws the CC-502 when attempting to connect.

• tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭✭
    Options

kibatme , where was the "Manage your desktop apps' link? I've used it in the past for issues like the one in this thread, it used to be under the "credit card services" page but not anymore.

A search on the Citi site doesn't show any info on the subject either.

• TGSmith300
    TGSmith300 Member ✭✭
    Options

I've chatted with Citibank. Everything seems ok on their end. Seems to be a Quicken issue. I've been having trouble connecting my to my account for the last few days. Finally, reset the connection and re-entered my login info along with going to the Citi website and clicking the Add Access button as noted in an earlier post. Still nothing. Hope they fix this soon.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

CC-502 is an error code that typically applies to EWC connections. This means that those who are getting this error code are likely trying to download their Citi credit cards from the Citibank or Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi financial institutions, both of which have a long history of reliability issues that often take a very long time to get corrected.

Those of you who are trying to download your Citi credit card transaction via Citibank and/or Costco Anywhere Visa Card by Citi might want to consider changing the download connection to the Citi Cards financial institution which uses the DC connection method and which is much faster, much more reliable and more secure than EWC. Following are the steps to do this (this works with Citi credit cards, not with other types of Citi accounts).

1. For each Citi credit card account: Enter and save the Opening Balance transaction dollar amount into the Memo field of that transaction. (This is not a requirement. It is simply a proactive step that can be very helpful should this process result in changing the Opening Balance transaction amount…something that does not usually happen but can sometimes happen.)
    2. Back up your data file (for just in case something goes wrong in the following steps).
    3. Log into your Citi.com account.
    4. If you have any Citi cards that are not listed there, go to Services > Link Citi Credit Card > select Credit Card > fill in the appropriate information > Next. This will work for linking most Citi issued credit cards to your Citi.com account but some co-branded credit cards (such as Sears Mastercard) will not link.
    5. In Quicken….for each Citi card that is linked to your Citi.com account: Account List > Edit > Online Services tab > Deactivate.
    6. Log back into your Citi.com account.
    7. Click on Profile > More Settings > under Security click on Manage Desktop Apps > Add Access > Continue.
    8. Within 10 minutes of completing #7, in Quicken: Add Account > type in Citi Cards in the Search field (do NOT select the Citi logo) > Advanced Options > select Direct Connect > Next > enter your Citi.com login information (and if desired, check the box for Save to Password Vault) > Connect > carefully ensure that the downloaded data from Citi is Linked to the credit card account(s) that are already listed in Quicken and that the Account Type and Account Name are correct.

Your Citi credit cards should now be set up with Direct Connect.

If the account balances are OK, then you are done.

If the account balances are not OK…things to check:

• Check the Opening Account balance. If it does not match what you previously entered into the Memo field, change it to match what is in the Memo field.
    • Are there any duplicate transactions entered? If there are, delete one of each duplicate. (If there are any duplicates, it is likely they will be within the last 90 days but they might go back further.)
    • Check for a 2nd Opening Account transaction with a more recent date than the original one. If you find one, delete it.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• fdragan
    fdragan Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Excellent advice, thanks. I've been having the error since yesterday, and connecting via direct connect worked. It's worth noting that it looks like you can't add the card as an online bill if you go with direct connect.

quicken user since 199<mumble>, currently qwin via parallels

• tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Thanks for the advice https://community.quicken.com/profile/Boatnmaniac but unfortunately I this pop-up

The site mentioned is the same one that I went to in step 7, it's just loop right now for my account.

UPDATE: After one more try before giving up it worked. Thanks for the advice!

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

I'm glad it worked for you. By and large I believe you will be much happier with the speed and reliability of this DC connection than with the previous EWC connection.

Yes, I should have mentioned that Online Bills requires an EWC connection so it does not work with this Citi Cards DC connection. I too often overlook impacts to Online Bills because I do not use Online Bills for any of my accounts. Thanks for pointing this out so others may know.

All of my Bills Reminders are set up as Manual Bills regardless of which connection method I am using. What I do with regard to my manual Bill Reminders: I have instructed the billers (via my online accounts with them) to autopay my statement balances in full each month and to also email me the statement & bill information (just high level summaries, not the complete statement details) when it is available. Then I can manually edit the Bill Reminders with that information and enter those Bill Reminders into the account registers. Pretty easy, very simple and there is never a problem. Works well for me.

• Larry Nichoalds
    Larry Nichoalds Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately I have run into this issue when trying to re-activate the account:

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac Nice to see you here! Correct me if I am worng, but weren't we "instructed" to change Citi Credit Cards from Direct to EWC back in March? I did and they have been working fine since then until last Friday.

And isn't Direct Connect going away for most every bank with a handful of straggler exceptions?

Would like more confidence before trying all this. For both transactions and Online Biller.

~Bob

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

You got the CC-502 error code. That indicates you might have missed the part in step 8 where it says to click on Advanced Options and select Direct Connect. Direct Connect does not return CC-502 error codes. You might want to try doing the process, again.

• jander
    jander Member ✭✭
    Options

I tried going to Citi online (for my Costco Anywhere Visa) and downloaded the recent transactions. When I opened the downloaded file, I was able to ID the appropriate Quicken account to link the transactions to. BUT when I clicked to make that happen, I got an error message that the transactions had been downloaded to an account that did not exist in my data file - and Quicken closed. I have the 52.52 verion of Quicken Premier.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

Hi, @Bob. It's been awhile. I hope all is well with you.

I do not recall being asked to change Citi credit cards from DC to EWC at any time. I know for sure that my Citi credit cards have been set up with DC (via the Citi Cards financial institution) for quite a few years, now.

Maybe you are thinking of a different financial institution? I think Amex transitioned from DC to EWC+ in Feb/Mar.

Also, US Bank and PNC Bank transitioned EWC to EWC+ in May/Jun. But they both still offer DC and have said they don't currently have any plans to discontinue DC. (My guess is that they are keeping DC because that is a revenue stream for them…USB charges all customers a monthly fee for DC and PNC charges business customers but not consumers a monthly fee.)

I think there was another 1-2 financial institutions (investment companies?) that also transitioned to EWC+ in that approximate time frame but I am not sure about that.

I have heard through the grapevine that Citi is planning to cut in EWC+ at some point but no date for that has been announced. The rumor mill also did not say whether or not Citi will eliminate DC at that time.

So far, it's only a relatively small number of financial institutions that have transitioned to EWC+. I have it on good authority that more will eventually cut in EWC+ but it has only been speculated by some in this Community about how many that might be. And the messages that all of DC will eventually transition to EWC+ is also pure speculation….the accuracy of which is now questionable given that USB and PNC have not discontinued DC.

To switch Citi credit cards to DC via Citi Cards is a personal choice. But the alternatives to that are limited to:

• Waiting it out until the EWC connection is fixed (which could be days or weeks or maybe even longer).
    • Manually downloading and importing transactions via WC.
    • Manually entering and managing all transactions.

It is a personal choice each of must make as to which path to take.

• jander
    jander Member ✭✭
    Options

If I click on Advanced Option, I get choices of Express Web Connect (which results in the CC-502 error) and Web Connect, which won't let me direct transactions to an account that already exists. It wants this to be a Checking account. I certainly don't want to start over with a new account! What next?

• tnmats
    tnmats Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe you made the same mistake I did.

When you first bring up the 'search for your financial institution' window, I picked the Citi logo circled in red.

After going through the steps to connect to Citibank, I didn't see any Direct Connect option. So I quit and started over again.

On my 2nd attempt, that time I typed "Citi" in the search field. A normal human would think "Citi" covers all products from that bank (like I did initially) but obviously not.

After choosing "Citi Cards" did I get the Direct Connection option after going through the DC set-up process.

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

@Boatnmaniac Thanks. I am sure it was Citi - and a discussion at the time about Cit Cards, vs Citi Bank. And might even have included a piece on Bill Pay no longer working with Citi as well. Too many of these things to remember, unfortunately. And SOOOO many issues with EWC+ such as a penny short on the bill due, EVERY time which might in certain circumstances lead to penalties of underpaying the minium. Then Chase for example will not get an Online Bill until unlinked, deleted and readded and relinked! There are more. Citi was one of the few actually getting the bills.

I'll consider making the change tomorrow if EWC (not +) is not fixed by then.

I think of you every few months as I have to correct something that Fidelity has done to corrupt my balances in Quicken :)

• jander
    jander Member ✭✭
    Options

Thank you! That was indeed an assumption I made - like any "normal" person. It did link, but unfortunately only downloaded 1 old transaction - twice. I will close it down now and hope for better results tomorrow. This is enough frustration for today. Thanks again for the tip!

• Bob.
    Bob. Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Boatnmaniac
    Worked like a charm. Tried first in my Test account and there it needed to reauthorize Quicken to use with Citi Cards. Easy. Then deactivated and reactivated only in my Live account and all good.
    Biggest question is why do all these Quicken Mods not have a clue? Quicken should have posted this. Or better yet, automated it. I think its excessive to ask an average user to go through all of this.

Much appreciate the help. As Always.

This discussion has been closed.