Adding Attachment Deletes Transaction

Options
dkrause
dkrause Member

I e=recently have been experiencing this glitch in Quicken. I enter a new transaction and attach the receipt to the transaction. The receipt attaches normally and I see the preview. As soon as I click on "Done" the attachment window closes and the transaction is completely deleted.

I then enter the transaction again and save without adding the attachment. The transaction now shows in the register and has the receipt attached from the first entry.

This works. But it requires me to enter every transaction with a receipt twice. Very frustrating. Please advise.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited June 2023
    Options

Hello @dkrause,

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue to the Community, although we apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, once a solution is created it will be made available as part of a future release.

(CTP-6983)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• phburwin
    phburwin Member
    Options

Having the same problem. Since the update about 6/18/23 If an attachment is added to a new transaction, the transaction cannot be saved, it just blinks and disappears. If the transaction is saved without any attachment I can go back to the already saved transaction and add an attachment.

• parodytx
    parodytx Member
    Options

Same here. Add a transaction, try to add an attachment - ANY attachment, clipboard, scanned or file - adds to attachment window like there are no issues, click Done, poof - transaction disappears and shows as new in lower list.

Add transaction, NO attachment, Save - just like normal. Edit transaction, NOW add attachment, Save no problem.

Started after last Quicken update.

• BarbOD
    BarbOD Member ✭✭
    Options

Me too! Exactly the same problem since the last Quicken update.

• joe15
    joe15 Member ✭✭
    Options

FYI

I just applied this Windows update

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8.1 for Windows 10 version 21H2, Windows 10 version 22H2, Windows 11 version 21H2, Windows Server 2022 (Desktop, Azure Editions), Azure Stack 21H2 and Azure Stack 22H2 (KB5011048)

Attachments are now working as they were before.

Windows 10 x64

Quicken for Windows R51.9 Build 27.1.51.9

• BarbOD
    BarbOD Member ✭✭
    Options

HI, and thanks for this tip. Yes, it seems to have worked 😀. Now, if only someone could tell me what happened to years' of transaction attachments! They're all missing! Only the recent few months are appearing.

• Quicken Kristina
    edited July 2023
    Options

Hello @BarbOD,

Thank you for joining the discussion. If you've had attachments go missing from your file, I would recommend restoring a backup from before they went missing.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• ScaryGirl
    ScaryGirl Member ✭✭
    Options

@joe15 Thank you for posting. That did NOT work for me. I already had those updates to Windows. My Quicken is version R51.10 build 27.1.51.10. I wish we could roll back Quicken updates! That would fix it I am sure.

• BarbOD
    BarbOD Member ✭✭
    Options

To Quicken Kristina - thanks for the suggestion to restore from a backup, K, but that terrifies me. I backup all the time but I've never had to restore. I'm wondering if my missing attachment problem has to do with starting to have my computer automatically sync all my files to OneDrive?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Thank you for your reply @BarbOD,

If your active Quicken file is synced with OneDrive, that can sometimes cause issues. This article provides more information. If you are nervous about restoring a backup, you could reach out to Quicken Support and ask them to walk you through the process. The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday.

Hello @ScaryGirl,

Thank you for joining the discussion. If you would like to roll back to an earlier version of Quicken, you can use this article to download the version patch you would like to revert back to. If you have problems with it automatically updating without your input, then I would recommend checking your User Account Control Settings. You would want it set to Always notify so that you'll have the option to decline if Quicken tries to update to the latest version again.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• BarbOD
    BarbOD Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello again, Kristina. Thanks so much for these tips and links. I've been lucky and never had to contact Quicken before. Great to know we get such good service! Have a great evening and thanks again!

• Cramercc
    Cramercc Member
    Options

I'm having similar problems while posting downloaded transactions which have attachments. Rather than roll back to prior Quicken version…how 'bout fixing the problem with a corrected update.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2023
    Options

OMG! Im having the same issue. I go start on my transaction and get it categorized and everything and then go to add an attachment to finish up and save and it deletes every thing for that transaction I just did. That is my natural flow of how I enter things. Please fix this! Any news on when this will be fixed? [Edited - Readability]

• Q97
    Q97 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • RanSum
    RanSum Member ✭✭
    Options

I have the same problem. I have the Microsoft .NET Framework 4.8.1. I also have a problem where, after saving the transaction and then coming back to add the attachment, the attachment icon (paper clip) is missing, even though the attachment appears in the window. I have to delete the attachment and re-attach it, and then the icon stays.

Windows 11, Build 22621

Quicken R51.12, Build 27.1.51.12

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@RanSum Yes, I am having that issue as well. But not on every transaction… its random. I also have an issue where even after saving the transaction and then going to addmy attachment. it can take 2-3 times of saving the attachment before it actually attaches….

• Berger61
    Berger61 Member
    Options

Same as others. The attachment staying while the entered data goes away is VERY frustrating. It has been broken for far to long. Quicken updates on opening, so now way to stop updates. And it is now a subscription app. Why am I paying for a app that does not work.

• ZABA
    ZABA Member ✭✭
    Options

I have been experiencing this issue for some time now, including today. It does appear to be, largely, random. The work-around is easy enough, but a solution would be better. Thanks.

• sbobo
    sbobo Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

Same issue with latest windows subscribed quicken. Happens to both adding attachment to downloaded transactions before accepting and to manually entered transactions

• sbobo
    Options

Any one know when there will be a patch fix for this? disappearing transactions is not a good thing. Especially when the users believes the transaction and attachment got saved

• sbobo
    Options

apparent memo also disappears if the downloaded transaction is not saved first. didn't realize this until much later when most of my transactions are missing memo

• JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

FWIW, I noticed that if the file that is being attached is open somewhere else (e.g. PDF reader), the attachment fails silently with no error message. It just doesn't get added. When the attachment is closed, it gets added on the next try.

• JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Still seems broken in 52.20.

• Brett104
    Brett104 Member ✭✭
    Options

Having same exact issue. I called support a couple of weeks ago and representative I spoke with said my data file appeared to be corrupt and that I would need to recreate everything from scratch. Started a BRAND NEW data file and after a couple of frustrating hours of trying to set everything up from scratch it dawned on me that I should test the new file. SAME ISSUE! When entering a new transaction, if I attempt to add an attachment is deletes the entire transaction. So I have to entering transaction, save, go back and then attach file if I want it to work. Impacts nearly every transaction I use. 15+ years with Quicken and never been so frustrated as this stared around June 2023 and still persists and has wasted hours of my time. Clearly a 'bug' in the software. I'm using Windows based Quicken Classic Premier (Release R52.28 Build 27.1.52.28).

• JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Yes, support has a flow chart where they sometimes ask folks to perform actions that “rule out” certain situations even though they know other customers have ruled these things out. You won’t be the last customer who is told to repair or recreate their Quicken file for this issue because the flow chart never gets updated.. The bottom line is that this issue is just not a priority with them since they have a cumbersome workaround.. But they forget that this bug is a regression that they introduced - it used to work. Regressions should always have a high priority or customers will learn they can’t count on any feature surviving a patch. Perhaps they should listen to their customers and adjust their priorities.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you syncing to Mobile and Web? This can explain unexpected changes to your data file.

• JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I absolutely am not. Learned that lesson long ago - it’s not worth it to me.

• JohnA
    JohnA Member ✭✭✭
    Options

i might also add that the problem really isn’t with attachments per se but just opening up the add attachment window. If I just cancel without adding an attachment, it clears the transaction.

• jnprop
    jnprop Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Hard to believe this is not fixed………… @JohnA thanks for the input! I will look into that and see if that is the issue for me having to attach items several times for them to work.

• fred koester
    fred koester Member ✭✭
    Options

So this has been going on forever, some similar issues with attachments have been closed. since they did not end with a resolution or a program fix I assume that quicken won, "just continue lip service and we will go away". well now it is getting worse after all these months.

I try to open an attachment that I know is there but no paperclip. how do I know it is there? simple if I enter a category I also add an attachment at the same time. category =attachment no category=no attachment. quicken should be embarrassed.

As I said it gets worse, when I now try to open I get "cannot complete request because the specified file could not be found".

If there is a version that could be identified as a pre attachment problem I would gladly revert back to it as I have seen nothing of any use to me

in the last year in any update other than fluff (and unfortunately issues). if anyone knows the version let me know. Thanks in advance.

This discussion has been closed.