Currency List - IMPORT button does not import historical US exchange rate data (Q Win Canada)

Options
Organone
Organone Member ✭✭

The IMPORT button does not import historical US exchange rate date…it used to work OK.

Are you going to fix this problem for your Canadian Users?

This was mentioned months ago in "Unable to download currency rates - try again later" but that topic was closed wihtout answering the question.

Would appreciate the courtesy of a reply.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hello @Organone,

I'm sorry to hear that issue hasn't been resolved yet. The earlier post you referenced was closed because it had been inactive for about a month. Posts on the Community are not trouble tickets and they do get closed due to inactivity, even if the issue is not resolved.

I can see the issue with the Import button was reported in CTP-6881, but since that ticket has been marked as resolved and you are still experiencing the issue, I have forwarded it to the proper channels to be investigated. In the meantime, it would be helpful if you would be willing to send us logs again by navigating to to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached and (if you are willing) a sanitized copy of your data file in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue.

Thank you.

(CTP-7867)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello Quicken Kristina,

Thank you for the reply. At your request, I have sent the logs and a sanitized copy of the data file.

For Canadians that use both USD and CAD, and for those that have to report taxes to both IRS and CRA, being able to import the CAD/USD exchange rate is extremely useful. Otherwise we have to update the rates manually every day, which is not convenient…especially since this feature use to work reliably.

Please fix it.

Will you keep this ticket open until the problem is resolved?

Thanks

Stephen

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited October 2023
    Options

Thank you for your reply and for submitting the updated information,

The actual ticket, CTP-7867, will remain open until the issue is resolved.

The discussion on the Community is not a ticket and does get closed if it is inactive for about a month. Closing the discussion on the Community does not have any impact on the actual ticket. That said, if you wish to keep this discussion open, the simplest way to do so is to post on this discussion roughly every 3 weeks so that it is not inactive long enough to get closed.

Thanks again!

Quicken Kristina

• Arctic Hare
    Arctic Hare SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Options

While I agree it would be useful to have the functionality of the historical price import feature restored, why would you have to update current recent prices manually when they are updated by One Step Update? You could configure Quicken to run One Step Update automatically daily and this would ensure you get a complete set of rates - automatically. It would still be useful to be able to import historical rates for special situations.

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Options

Hi Arctic Hare,

Thanks for your suggestion, but I believe you are confusing "stock prices" with Currency Exchange Rate updates. Currency Rates, at least on Canadian Classic Business & Personal, cannot be 'scheduled' to update automatically.

You are correct that this 'could' be a way to do it, if Quicken would add this feature to the SCHEDULE UPDATES capability…but I've asked before and nothing happened, as they said they would have to 'add a function that is not currently there'. I was hoping they would fix a method that previously worked.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

I haven't used the scheduled update feature in many years because I found it didn't work well with a password protected datafile. I thought/assumed that feature would update currency rates in addition to security prices, but I haven't used this feature in years and that may be an incorrect assumption. I manually run OSU every day, so I get my full f/x rate history that way.

• JosefW
    JosefW Member ✭✭
    Options

@Organone @Arctic Hare

I have a number of separate files each for a different person, all of which rely on CDN/US exchange rate data and updates. There is something very strange that happens in one particular file. That is, after trying to "Import" rates, it says that currencies were updated, but there are no historical prices in the list.

But what is really strange is that although there are no prices in the "Historical Prices" window, the price shown for U.S. Dollar highlighted at the bottom right is the correct one (close Friday Oct. 20)

The other file which does show the "Historical Prices", has exactly the same price for the Friday Oct. 20 close, which I've again highlighted at the bottom right. All the other prices are the same as well (except for the Portugese Escudo which is probably just a timing issue.)

I also checked the original purchase of a stock bought in US Dollars on Jan. 24, 2022 in the account that doesn't list Historical Prices and it has recorded the CDN$ exchange rate for that date, which is within 3 decimal prices of the rate for that day in the other file.

My question is, are you getting an error message after clicking on "Import" in the "Currency List" window? Also does it show you a price for Fridays close and is it the same as mine above?

I have not submitted a ticket, since I feel it is recording the rates even there are no numbers in the Historical Prices list, but I would like to get the Historical Price list Importing properly. There was an problem a few moths back when currencies were not being updated, which I noticed. It lasted for about 10 days or so but that was fixed and was maybe a different problem.

• Arctic Hare
    Options

There is another recent thread on the Import function, wherein I explained that it does import prices, but doesn't work as expected. I have demonstrated that using the Import feature actually does import historical prices, but only from years long in the past. The exact date range of what is imported is Sept 15, 1990 through Jan 15, 2008, in case you are interested. When I click on Import, it doesn't product any error; in fact, it tells me that prices were successfully imported. However, the prices that are imported are from years in the past (see the range noted previously); not, say, the last year or few years, which is what you would probably expect. Clearly, this feature is not presently behaving as one would expect.

I strictly use One Step Update to update my currency exchange rates and that meets all of my needs. I do agree that Quicken should fix the Import feature because it doesn't do what one would reasonably expect it to do; however, I don't have any need of it and would likely never use the feature. I run OSU daily to get bank transactions, so I get a mostly complete history of f/x rates without thinking about it.

I have no idea why you would get a blank price table for the currency. That is odd. Have you run a validation on that file?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Given the date range is so far in the past, but still works, one might wonder if the problem isn't in the Quicken code, but is instead in the price data feed from the service provider.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Options

Would appreciate hearing from Quicken Kristina if a fix has been authorized by management?

• Organone
    Organone Member ✭✭
    Options

Hello…would appreciate hearing from Quicken anyone…if a fix has been authorized by management?

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @Organone,

I can see that the ticket is still open and in work. I don't have access to any information beyond that.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.