cc-800 error over and over and over again

Options
wjb727
wjb727 Member ✭✭

Navy Federal. For 2 weeks I keep getting a cc-800 error. I fix it and relink the account. The next day I go through it again. Is the problem that I have too many accounts associated with one institution? admittedly single and joint accounts plus differing certificates. I don't remember having this error trouble until I added my last account but now it is knocking out the original account.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I don't know about cc-800 errors in conjunction with Navy Federal, but …

I recently had a cc-800 error with my AmEx credit cards. Simply running "Update Now" from one of the account register's Action gear icon solved the issue for me.
    If you haven't done so already, how about trying it?

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

I can give it a try

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I will chime in as well. Recently my CC-800 errors have significantly increased, with banks and CCs - almost weekly! Currently Discover card is giving me the error. Same experience as the OP where it comes back again and again after it gets corrected on its own, or I take action to do so.

The approach I have found so far is when this happens with a certain account repeatedly, I keep ALL accounts with that specific financial institution deactivated for a few days (3-5 days, allowing ample time for the deactivation to propagate thru all Quicken & aggregator servers), while I do daily OSUs, and then reconnect.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

a little hesitant to deactivate all accounts for a number of days but I’ll certainly stop the cloud sync, mobile and web stuff. And, I don’t use bill pay to start with. After that we’ll see what happens and I’ll go to the next step.

An interesting side note, when downloading a second checking account, it wanted to reconcile itself with the primary account. I recognized that pdq and deleted all the downloaded material. Don’t know why it wants to compare the second checking account to the primary account since there are 2 distinct account numbers.

• Jack Redwine
    Jack Redwine Member ✭✭
    Options

Most curious thing about the CC-800 errors I have been having is once they occur they continue to occur even when using a copy or backupfile from an earlier time. The CC-800 errors occur even when using a diffenent computer using an earlier copy of the QDF file leading me to believe the problem is occuring on data kept online. I have worked with three different Quicken technical support agents and have been unable to solve the problem.

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

I haven’t gone to their tech support yet. I have desynched the cloud accounts and turned off the mobile/web stuff. We’ll see what happens now. I’m finding it more an irritation to have to add or link my accounts daily. But it only started when I added a couple of more accounts from one credit union. So, my generalization is that it’s the total number of accounts downloading from one credit union.

• sgj31
    sgj31 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am experiencing this with Discover. I have run the "fix-it" every day for weeks. It never gets fixed.

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Exactly. You fix it then it comes back, over and over and over. Hey Quicken! Fix this problem. [Edited - Readability]

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Here is my take on CC-800 errors (edited post from another thread):

As for the CC-800 and maybe other connection problems I have chased that kind of problem at times with Chase and some other financial institutions and it can certainly feel like you can't make any progress on this.

From what I have seen if Quicken gets an error while downloading, which might be a temporary error, Quicken sometimes thinks the account is no longer at the financial institution. Quicken marks that account "deleted". Sometimes it will correct this on the next One Step Update, but what I have never found to work is the troubleshooting that is in the help that comes with the CC-800 error.

Sometimes doing what @Quicken Jasmine works(Deactivate and Reactivate that one account), but when that fails (or maybe instead of that) I would deactivate all your Chase accounts and then reactive/link.

An even more drastic method that might clear up even more problems is to use:

File → Copy of Backup File → Create a copy or template, function

In the process of copying Quicken deactivates all the accounts, gives the data file a new unique Id which creates a new Quicken Cloud dataset. It means that you will have to setup all the accounts for downloading again and if you are using Quicken Bill Manager set that up too. And maybe even things like the Zillow estimate.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

One has to understand that for every Quicken data file there is one Quicken Cloud dataset, and all Express Web Connect and Express Web Connect + accounts will be going through that same Quicken Cloud dataset. Note that there is a unique Id in every Quicken Desktop data file that connects it to the Quicken Cloud dataset. So, as long as you are using a data file with that unique Id, it doesn't matter what machine or copy of Quicken Desktop data file you are using, it is going to be "aware" of that CC-800 error.

Note the Quicken copy/template option creates a data file with a different unique Id and with all of the online connections disabled.

Signature:
  • wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

again, I question why, once you have fixed the error and Q says “success! The problem has been resolved,” does the error reoccur the very next day. And then, you rinse and repeat, and get the same error every time. Are the Q data people not able to see the problems and figure out what is happening?

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

I believe, I think, that the issue is in the Quicken cloud "dataset" which @Chris_QPW mentioned as well.

No matter what we do in such cases, I think the presumed corrupted dataset is not fully recovering unfortunately. One way to remedy it IMO is by deleting the dataset (using another Quicken file). I too am having issues with Discover card for now three weeks. I deactivate/reactivate and it downloads; next day the CC-800 error returns.

This week I plan to delete my dataset and see how it goes - using the detailed procedure described by @Quicken Kristina in this post, except that I plan to delete it (instead of Reset) using another datafile. I will report back by end of the week. Since I do not use cloud sync or bill pay this procedure is trivial for me. For those who do use them, as @Chris_QPW mentioned earlier there might be a few extra setup steps which I have no knowledge of.

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

I’ll look forward to hearing if it works. I, like you, have a daily recurrence of this error. Sometimes hourly, if I try to fix the errors. My error revolves around my numbered banking accounts, not a card. None of this started until I added an eighth account at the same bank - which is why I asked about the total number of accounts. It may just be a problem when you ladder a few CDs. Each one becomes a separate numbered account.

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

I did try that. The first thing the update did was to give another cc800 error. Kind of a no win situation.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

There are so many possible combinations in this that it would be next to impossible to figure out which one it is without extensive logging from all the parties involved. Unfortunately, the only logs we have available are from Quicken.

It is for instance, entirely possible that my CC-800 errors were triggered by temporary errors at the financial institution that were cleared up by the time I retried and used those above methods to clean up. Whereas of others the errors might be more "permanent".

The biggest take away I have for the CC-800 errors is that it nothing, but a "guess". They aren't really getting from whatever is failing that says "account deleted", instead they are getting some error and making the guess that the account has been deleted.

Signature:
  • wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

That certainly could be the best guess, they don’t know so they assume the account is deleted.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW for what it is worth. After the very first time I saw a CC-800 error I suggested that they should never be flagging an account deleted without first asking the user if that is true. I believe I even submitted an Idea on it, but that was basically ignored. The very fact that they mark the account deleted compounds the problem.

Signature:
  • wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes. Yes it does. You go back and relink or RE-add the account and it doesn’t change the real problem. Oh well. I’ll wait for your attempts to fix this and see what happens. After that, I may try to just deactivate the two accounts that show as bad and wait a few days for the errors to go away. In the interim I can manually download my accounts or just hold on and do it all after a few days.

Good luck with your because it may help me and the others posting here.🙂

• Babs78
    Babs78 Member
    Options

The annoyance factor is very high. I'm getting CC-800 errors on Citi accounts every day. Haven't been able to download transactions for a week. Tried all of the suggestions and nothing is working. Now Citizens won't set up at all. I'm at the point of considering chucking it all in.

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Babs78,

Annoyance is a nice word to use. I've used several others, most of which can't be printed here. What I am doing is deactivating the accounts and waiting a few days to find out whether that will change anything. I will put my results up here. I am following suggested methods for getting the accounts synched back up. I think that is the suggestion from BK, as I recall.

• BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@wjb727

I wanted to wait a few more days to give an update as I promised earlier, but FWIW here it is: I think/hope I resolved it!

1. I deactivated each and every of my online accounts. Not just the problematic FI but ALL of them including hidden ones.
    2. Then I unchecked the options to "Automatically Add to Registers" in the Edit menu > Preferences > Downloaded Transactions (see Note1).
    3. Next, I ensured that I had written down the correct "Opening Balance" value of EVERY account in the respective memo fields (see Note2).
    4. Then using a test Quicken file, I deleted my main dataset: Edit menu > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync=ON > OK. And repeat: Edit menu > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud > click on Cloud Accounts Associated w this Q ID (x) > and deleted the dataset associated with my "main" Quicken file.
    5. Finally signed out of Quicken (sign in as a different user > sign out). Wait for a day.
    6. Next day, I opened my main Quicken file, logged in and used the Tools Menu > Add Account function and one by one reconnected my accounts (see Note3). So far everything is working.

A few notes:

Note1: We are unchecking the "Automatically Add to Registers" option since after a deactivation/re-connection, we may receive duplicate transaction downloads. This allows us to review them before they go into the register, and accept new ones and delete any duplicates.

Note2: After a deactivation/re-connection process, some of the EWC/+ accounts "Opening Balances" may incorrectly get altered (a long-time sporadic issue and I experienced it again). Having your correct value written in the memo field allows you to review that transaction and correct it if needed.

Note3: For those users not using the Mobile & Web features and hence wanting to keep the cloud sync disabled: When you add an account, Quicken by default will enable the cloud sync behind the scenes. Therefore after every Add procedure, you should go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Mobile & Web > turn Cloud Sync=ON > select the "x of y accounts enabled" > and turn them off if you wish.

Note4: For users who have set up any type of bill pay, more steps are involved to reestablish them. And perhaps for those who use Mobile & Web as well. Beyond my level of experience.

Final thoughts: Would RESET dataset have worked (instead of deleting the dataset)? Probably, but less thorough. FYI, the process I used is essentially same as what @Chris_QPW mentioned earlier by using the Quicken's copy/template option, with about the same amount of time and effort involved. I have 50+ accounts in my file, more than half are connected accounts, so I took my time and added one account at a time, disabled cloud sync after each one, closed Q and reopened, tested and moved on to the next - which took about two hours.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

On Note 1: There isn't anything stopping one from using the "Automatically Add to Registers" option and still reviewing transactions to make sure there aren't any duplicate ones. This is one of biggest misconceptions about how this method works. For sure, the procedure is different, but it is still a perfectly viable one.

Example (I purposely changed transaction in register to a different amount to cause a duplicate, otherwise it would have been merged into one transaction with a status of New Match):

First step, correct amount of transaction in register:

Second step, click on Uncleared (red pencil) status to get this menu:

Selecting "Match to a downloaded transaction":

After selecting Accept Match:

But note that "sync" isn't "Automatically Add to Registers". When the Cloud dataset is synced to the Quicken Desktop data file show no indication of what it has done. Transactions can appear out of nowhere; they can be also removed with no indication. And these days any account setup with Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect + is doing this sync. That is good reason for really bad problems like this it might be a good idea to remove the Quicken Cloud dataset as part of your recovery process. But it is also very "disruptive" and isn't something a person should do on a whim.

Signature:
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Chris_QPW wrote: On Note 1: There isn't anything stopping one from using the "Automatically Add to Registers" option and still reviewing transactions to make sure there aren't any duplicate ones. This is one of biggest misconceptions about how this method works.

BK's response: Agree. It is just a method among a few that was recommended by the Superusers and I found it to be a simpler one, in my personal opinion.

Chris_QPW wrote: That is good reason for really bad problems like this it might be a good idea to remove the Quicken Cloud dataset as part of your recovery process. But it is also very "disruptive" and isn't something a person should do on a whim.

BK's response: Agree again. Which is why I gave credit to the one you suggested earlier (copy/template) which is safer. Since I have become partially paralyzed for weeks due to repeated and increased CC-800 error and other methods didn't help [me], for me this "disruptive" approach was warranted to start fresh.

Cheers

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

Almost wish I hadn't even mentioned this error. I am a bit nervous about doing all this. Afraid my data will all go away and I will lose everything from closed accounts at different banks as well as these accounts. These will be easy to regenerate but the old closed account history seems to be impossible to bring back. I like to hang on to all that history so I can go back and document payments made years ago, as necessary (house payments, support payments, taxes - and yes, I had a state come after me for failing pay support after they lost all their own documentation - had to go back and get every payment for 10 years from bank records to prove my case; and that has left me paranoid about what states can do)

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

I did try that but was unsuccessful.

I did go back and deactivated each account that was not good and reactivated it. Thought that took care of it but no such luck.

• wjb727
    wjb727 Member ✭✭
    Options

BK, I tried your method and deactivated every single account I had at NFCU and waited for a week to reactivate them. Fortunately, Q asked if I wanted to reactivate my account (singular). I said yes and it reactivated every account I had at NFCU (saving my having to reactivate a bunch of different accounts). Everything downloaded and matched up as it should have. Now, I can only hope that I don't have to go through this again. Thanks and I hope it stays that way ;)

This discussion has been closed.