Unable to Download Transactions

Options

Comments

• JWQ
    JWQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 7
    Options

I'm having the same issue with Ally accounts. I reset accounts, and the reset process seemed to go through the steps as expected, but still no account updates. The greatest concern is that there is no indication that the updates fail, so I may have other accounts that are not updating but I can't tell without comparing individual transactions over recent days. It appears the Ally account last updated properly on Feb 1 this year.

JW

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

For about two weeks in updating some of my accounts, credit card and Bank checking, one or more transactions do not get downloaded. Thus, there's a mismatch between the balance in the Quicken accounts and that in the CC and banking sites. Those missing are not in the pending and some are a few days old with successful download of more recent transactions. This has primarily occurred in downloading various VISA accounts.

Has anyone else seen this or know of a fix?

thanks

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yes, same here. And there's a bunch of other threads with the same issue, but usually broken down by financial institution.

Too many of these to be anything other than a Quicken/Intuit issue (Intuit servers are used, AFAIK for the majority of EWC connections).

• PCoppinger
    PCoppinger Member ✭✭
    Options

I have had this issue for several weeks. First with a BofA card, and then with a citiretailservices card. First, downloads were missing transactions, so that the reconcile balance had the correct sum, but the transactions did not tally to that sum because some were missing. Eventually, this deteriorated into no transactions downloading at all. I did the deactivate/reactivate, personal>business, business>personal, and now update shows no errors, but nothing happens. No transactions, and attempts to reconcile prompt a request to download transactions. If I proceed, it shows a reconcile balance of zero. The entire Express Web Connect system seems to be broken, at least for credit cards.

• jokzoo
    jokzoo Member
    Options

Mine has been happening for last 2 weeks I believe since last update. It is impacting my American Express and Also VISA from USBank.

I also feel need to manually enter missing transactions like in the old days to balance. For some reason it seems to be missing common transactions for me. For example my Starbucks card refills at $50 and it is missing every time it refills. Same with Speedway. Also noticed if I have 2 valid transactions from a Vendor like a restaurant it will only post once. This has happened to a Panera Transaction and another restaurant and also to Starbucks.

• metzroth
    metzroth Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm in the same boat… Both Amex and Capitol One transactions go missing daily since the last update. I just reported it to quicken for the 2nd time. This is taking too long to fix. If I wanted to enter transactions by hand, I'd use different software.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Transaction download problems with matching and adding new transactions correctly

First please ensure that all optional settings in Quicken pertaining to recall, memorization, automatic categorization and renaming of payee names are enabled. You find those settings in Edit / Preferences / Data Entry & Quickfill and Downloaded Transactions. Additional settings for the detection and processing of transfer transactions can be found in Edit / Preferences / Transfer detection.

Are you automatically accepting downloaded transactions into your registers?

If you are relying on Quicken to "automagically" fill your account registers from downloaded transactions, you may run into problems. Despite all efforts by the Quicken programmers, the "Autopilot" (that's my name for the part of the Quicken program which processes downloaded transactions and converts them into new register transactions) is not infallible. For that process to work 100% of the time one would need a crystal ball because the information downloaded from the banks often is just too terse and cryptic.

You should, at least for a while, turn off the "automatically accept downloaded transactions into registers" setting to gain better control over what is downloaded and what to do with it. Click on and review each downloaded transaction, make changes if necessary (e.g., to get a payee name = "Starbucks" instead of "POS TRANS 070119 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070219 STARBU", "POS TRANS 070319 STARBU" or to assign a category) before you click to accept each transaction.

Any changes you make to downloaded Payee Names are remembered in Renaming Rules.

Any other changes you make (add/change Category or Memo text) are remembered in the Memorized Payee List.

Next time the same transaction for this Payee comes along, Quicken should remember and give you a better new register transaction.
    Paper checks you write should be recorded in Quicken as you write the check (and BEFORE you download transactions which might contain the cleared check). That gives you a register transaction with correct check number, payee name and category. No matter what information is downloaded from the bank, you already have a correct register transaction which the downloaded data cannot mess up.

In case you have issues with transfer transactions not being generated correctly:

For best results manually enter transfer transactions into your register BEFORE you download transactions from the bank which contain the transfer confirmations. For recurring transfers use scheduled reminders and enter them a day or two before the due date.

Be sure to use distinct Payee Names for each transfer / credit card payment to avoid confusing Quicken - memorized payee entries.

That takes the guesswork out of the Autopilot's process. Because a correctly entered transfer transaction already exists in your account registers, the Autopilot should just match the downloaded transfer transaction to the existing one in both accounts.

Where are the "Auto-accept downloaded transaction" settings?

There are two places where this is controlled in Quicken for Windows:
    - Globally, for all accounts, in Edit / Preferences / Downloaded Transactions
    - For each account individually, the global setting can be overridden from the Edit Account Details screen, Online Services Tab. Look for blue text "Automatic Entry is: ON / OFF". Click the text to change the setting.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@UKR there are multiple reports of missing transactions both on the Windows side and the Mac side.

This isn't any user error, and I wish you would change your FAQ, automatic transaction entry mode is no more "automagically" than going through the Downloaded Transactions tab.

The transactions are missing from the download, it doesn't matter if they are put in the Downloaded Transactions tab or directly into the register.

I just ran into this myself.

This person's comment seems to be right on track:

I had to exact Burger King transactions within a few days and the second one was missed.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • loridow
    loridow Member ✭✭
    Options

It's crazy to me how much I am needing to micromanage this on numerous accounts each day now to be sure Quicken is not missing transactions. I am now seeing it in my Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Amex accounts. If I have to babysit to this degree, I'm not sure what I'm paying for

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited February 13
    Options

Hello All,

Missing transactions and transactions not downloading is a known issue for some of the financial institutions you have mentioned. Please use these links to view the applicable Community Alerts: Chase Missing Transactions, Bank of America Missing Transactions (EWC+), American Express Missing Transactions, Capital One Missing Transactions, US Bank Missing Transactions, and USAA Missing Transactions. If the financial institution(s) that aren't downloading or are missing transactions are listed in these alerts, then please follow the troubleshooting listed in the alert and reach out to Quicken Support directly for assistance if the issue persists.

If the financial institution(s) you're encountering this issue with is not listed above, we have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with the following information:

1. Specific transactions that are posted on the financial institution side, but are not in your Quicken.
    2. A screenshot of the financial institution website, showing the specific transactions (it's okay to redact personal information so long as the screenshot shows those transactions and that they're posted)
    3. A screenshot of the Quicken register, showing that those transactions are not there (it's okay to redact personal information so long as the screenshot shows that those transactions are not in your Quicken register).
    4. The names of the affected accounts as they show on the financial institution side and as they show in Quicken.
    5. The log files (usually pre-selected when you create a Problem Report).
    6. If you are willing, a sanitized copy of your data file.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

You can also report the issue by reaching out to Quicken Support directly for assistance.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

(CTP-9041)

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    Options

yes it’s a well known issue to users. It’s not just Visa. It’s happening with multiple types of accounts from multiple different banks.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9
    Options

@Quicken Kristina given that this is happening for so many financial institutions and on both Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac, has it occurred to anyone at Quicken Inc that this isn't a financial institution problem?

One of the things that jump out at me is that all of these financial institutions are using either Express Web Connect or Express Web Connect +, which means they are all using Sync to the Quicken Connection Services/Quicken Cloud/Quicken Cloud dataset.

EDIT: Correction! If American Express is on Express Web Connect + then all of the financial institutions mentioned the alerts are Express Web Connect +.

Signature:
  • dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Add in the fact that the issues started at the same time - which for me was the time of the last update.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

But Quicken Mac didn't get an update, and they are having the same problems. That is why I think it is "upstream".

And like you said this has just started failing, and for lots of financial institutions, which suggests its "downstream" from them. Either at Intuit or on the Quicken servers.

Signature:
  • acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thanks everyone for many thoughtful replies. I learn something with each especially from those who are knowledgeable of how transactions are handled 'behind the scenes'. I agree that this appears to be a Quicken problem. May of those that have not downloaded are transactions that have downloaded successfully many times in past

• jldavid47
    jldavid47 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am also having this problem with Ally and Schwab. There are no error messages during download. With Schwab, if there has been a securities purchase or sale then an error window pops up telling me there is a mismatch between the security quantity in Quicken and the quantity reported by Schwab. So, some data is being downloaded. This started happening in the 54.9(?) release (the one before the current 54.16 release.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Note if you really think this is a release problem you can install the older release by installing the manual update from this page:

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

Signature:
  • gambit.xmn
    gambit.xmn Member ✭✭
    Options

Same issue here, though I've only noticed on Ally Bank thus far.

No error codes

For me, transactions are actually randomly missing. For example, again in Ally Bank, I have two transactions to Capital One Bank that cleared 2/2 and 2/9 - neither of them showed up when one step update was performed. Further, other transaction to Capital One on 1/26 and 1/19 which I entered into Quicken prior to downloading transactions do not show as cleared - matter how many times I try to update.

I've found other examples but they are more sporadic - some transactions show up, others don't.

To be fair, this has long been a problem in Quicken, its just way more noticeable and unduly frustrating now.

Plesae let me know when this is fixed. For now, the only reliable method is to manually balance the books.

• dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    Options

https://community.quicken.com/profile/9968511/Chris_QPW It's unfortunate that there has been no response to your post addressed to https://community.quicken.com/profile/Quicken%20Kristina You raised important points which need to be addressed.

• fkparker45
    fkparker45 Member
    Options

same here. Chase Bank. No error code, just no transactions downloaded. I know I should have some from my monthly statement.

• studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Same, NASA Federal Credit Union (checking, EWC). Today's download shows four transactions, but I log in online and see 16 transactions. Quicken downloaded the right account balance just not all the transactions. RESET didnt work. From the website downloaded the qfx file, then deleted the 4 redundant transactions, and it reconciles again. I think this started around the beginning of the month because 1/31/2024 was the last date things reconciled after downloading.

Citibank (credit cards, EWC+) downloaded 4 transactions, but from the website exported and it found 6 more from the last 3 days (I didnt manually cut and paste the missing ones yesterday)

These weren't even dollar amounts. The downloaded balance seems to always be correct. Usually if it doesnt reconcile, I give it a day or two and it'll catch up and start reconciling again especially over weekends. I'm not meticulous enough that it should reconcile every day.

So I should open a ticket because Quicken isnt aware this problem is happening, or I should be patient that they're working on it and it'll magically begin working in a few days?

wags Glad to be here!

• rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭
    Options

I think a number of us over the last couple of years have mentioned the move to EWC+ has been nothing but problematic at one time or another. I'm assuming it's some sort of QUICKEN specific API call that translates all of the data pulled from various institutions because they certainly can't be able to handle all data formats from all bank APIs.

• rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭
    Options

I will also say it seems to be a problem with recurring transactions of the same value. I have a weekly transfer of the exact same value from one account to another; it shows up consistently in the depositing account while the same transaction is not available in the transferring account.

• dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 15
    Options

Now that you mention it that generally seems to be the case for me as well (the identical values).

• studpup
    Options

Well yes in both my accounts, the missing transactions have the same amount as another transaction in the past day or two, but to different payees. Well looking back, the problem accounts don't use the payee field, OneStepUpdate sends the description of the transaction in the memo field instead (Camden national bank, Fidelity investments and NASA FCU). So a blank "payee" field and matching transaction amount makes it appear as a duplicate transaction. it's starting to make sense now. Thank rydogg1/dondgc

It'd also be nice to get that corrected, I just cut and paste the memo field into the payee field to repair it manually. But it'd be great if quicken fixed it please and maybe that'd fix the missing transactions :-)

Also now that I'm looking, when I manually download the qfx file, it'll create duplicate transactions. Apparently sometimes a sequence of numbers is changed into "xxxxxxx" and that makes them different enough that quicken sees them as separate transactions. That also makes sense. Not sure why that's happening though?

Example:
    Withdrawal Visa QT 825 FAIRBURN GA Date 021324 XXXXXXXXXXXX0
    Withdrawal Visa QT 825 FAIRBURN GA Date 021324 2469216404510

wags Glad to be here!

• Flux
    Flux Member ✭✭
    Options

If you guys are having issues with "same amount" transactions, make sure to have auto-reconcile "off" and you will find that quicken is matching these new transactions to older, already reconciled transactions. I found this out and need to manually change the "Matched" transactions at the top to "New" on a number of transactions with the same amount values as older already reconciled transactions. Otherwise it will reconcile to the old entry and the balance will be off because it didn't add the new entry as a new line item.

• studpup
    Options

For me, Auto Reconcile is off.. These transactions arent being lost in the accept/match phase, they just never arrive in quicken. In the bottom under Downloaded Transactions, they're just not there. Automatically add to register is also off. Only auto categorize and auto capitalize are on.

wags Glad to be here!

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For what it is worth I think that automatic transaction entry mode (where the transactions go directly into the register) and automatic reconcile should never be used together. They really should block that combination. Reconcile works on the amounts, it doesn't ensure that the categories are correct. What's more a reconcile clears the New and New Match statuses. The process for automatic transaction entry mode should always be to review your transactions after downloading to make sure the payees and categories are correct, and yes that the matching is correct too. This is a case where I think the people that dead set against automatic transaction entry mode are correct (if both are on). Quicken is never going to be 100% correct, transactions need to be reviewed, especially investment transactions. If automatic reconcile is off, then this is quite possible in automatic transaction entry mode. But with automatic reconcile on, it isn't.

Automatic reconcile being should only be used if you are not using automatic transaction entry mode. With automatic transaction entry mode off your transactions are going into the Downloaded Transactions tab, and you should be one at a time accepting them into the register. This is the "review phase". Automatic reconcile will not kick in until you close the Downloaded Transactions tab. And even if you haven't finished accepting all the transactions in the Downloaded Transactions tab, they won't be in the register for automatic reconcile to use.

With all of that said, it has certainly been established that some transactions (what seems like mostly transactions with the same amount) are going missing in the downloaded transactions for a lot of people both on Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac and on lots of financial institutions.

Signature:
  • dondgc
    dondgc Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I think your last sentence sums up the situation perfectly. I hope that message gets through to Quicken.

• Flux
    Flux Member ✭✭
    edited February 15
    Options

Also as a point of reference I am still running R53.32 and do not have these issues. I have Quicken software updates permanently blocked in my system and perform manual updates once a version has been out a decent amount of time without reports of bugs.

I say this to suggest going to the Mondo Update page and perhaps download an older version such as R53.32 and manually install to see if this resolves your issues for now :

https://www.quicken.com/support/reinstalling-and-patching-your-quicken-subscription-version-after-your-membership-has

I would also add that I think a priority feature would be a Settings soft-switch to enable/disable auto-updates, pause updates for a set amount of time and/or have a "deferred" or delayed update schedule for people who don't want to beta-test on the bleeding edge but who do want to keep auto updates active to make this ability more accessible to the user. MS Windows recognized they had an issue with update reliability and added these features in their update module. Quicken could model a similar menu of choices.

Update quality control and beta testing has been enough of a consistent and persistent issue that the updater should have more granular settings so the user can define its function to harmonize with their personal risk tolerance and how they wish the updater module to operate. This is financial software after all, so reliability and accuracy is especially important for the end-user.