What's the point of "Search category" when customizing a report?

Options
EmKay
EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭

I refer you back to this discussion, which asked the question but was never resolved:

I'm customizing a transaction report, trying to see all categories that contain the word "tax." I first clear all checkmarks on the Categories tab, on the list of categories, then type the word "tax" in the "Search category" box. This takes me to the first category with that word in the name (_DivIncTaxFree) - but then lists every other category after that, with no way to move to the next category containing the word "tax." I have to scroll through and find them manually, apparently.

As far as I remember - this has ALWAYS been like this; i.e., this has NEVER worked in a helpful way. It should filter the list to show ONLY categories containing the word I type into the search box. It does not.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It was never resolved because the question asked of the OP was never answered.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• EmKay
    EmKay Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@NotACPA , yes, I got that. I'm here to restart the resolution of this problem.

Is this how that search category box is supposed to work? Because, if so, it seems pretty useless (not to mention confusing) unless — I'm using it incorrectly. I'd love for @Quicken Anja to restart her efforts with me. I've already laid out one example from one report, but I can say that I have tried to use this "feature" for many years over many reports and it has always (not)worked this way.

Quicken Classic Premier (Windows) R52.33

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

This takes me to the first category with that word in the name (_DivIncTaxFree) - 

That is the type of behavior I see, and I take that as the intended behavior.

It should filter the list to show ONLY categories containing the word I type into the search box.

The programming should do what it was specified to do. If you want a different feature to be made available, you can certainly create and promote such an idea.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It appears that as you have found, the search advances the selection list to the first Category that contains what you type. It does not select that Category and I don't know of a way to get it to continue the search to find other matches.

Pretty useless as you say.

For the other fields, there are "Memo contains" and "Payee contains" entry boxes at the right which return all the matches, but no "Category contains".

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

my opinion on this is that it is a search not a filter and so it is sort of doing what you’re supposed to be doing but it certainly should have a next on it. There’s been quite a few times that I’ve tried that search and got stuck on the first thing that matched. That was especially true when you have things that are in say, income and expense, and you’re looking for the expense. On the other hand, Quicken is not consistent about this. The old dialogues seem to treat search like that and the new ones seem to treat it like a filter.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Isn’t there a Find Next keyboard shortcut? F3 or CTRL F3?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not that I can see in either old or new interface.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Keystone435
    Keystone435 Member ✭✭
    Options

Agree with the OP and others. This is useless and leaves me scrolling in a tiny 1" x 3" category window to find and check the ones I want. Yes, this should be a 'Filter" function not a search once and done function. Very DOS era.