Citibank Download Problems Not A Citibank Problem

Options

With respect to the inability to download transactions from Citibank Mastercard, I spoke with a human at Citi who said the problem is with Quicken and that there is no work around. Interestingly, they have no "Native" way to download transactions into any format whatsoever. Quicken seems to have kicked this can down the road & hung a lot of users out to dry. I sent a snail mail letter to the CEO of Quicken, but have not received a reply.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Which problem are you referring to?

Missing transactions or not being able to connect at all?

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29
    Options

@BrianBD

Interestingly, they have no "Native" way to download transactions into any format whatsoever.

They do but they call it "Export". It's hidden under "I want to…" Screen shots from my own Citi Mastercard account (which downloads fine during One Step Update).

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel that might only be for the credit cards and not for the bank accounts. They tend to be quite different at Citi.

Signature:
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Oops! Sorry @Rocket J Squirrel

Signature:
  • BrianBD
    BrianBD Member ✭✭
    Options

Assuming one can download a QIF file from Citi Mastercard, how does it get imported into Quicken such that the format is appropriately recognized?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29
    Options

Not QIF (even though Quicken Windows can import them too) you want the QFX file format. Quicken should be registered to open QFX files and as such you should only have to open the QFX file in your web browser or Windows File Explorer to import it. But you can also import it using:

File → File Import → Web Connect (.QFX) File…

Signature:
  • BrianBD
    BrianBD Member ✭✭
    Options

OK. I download the .QFX file. Thank you. Once it is imported via Quicken, where will I see it such that transactions can be allocated to the appropriate expense accounts?

The problem I have with doing the Citi download using the One Step Update route is that the genius (human) at Quicken Support had me delete the Citi account from that list & then attempt to add it back. Didn't (doesn't) work. The account can't be added because it can't make connection to Citi.

Thanks for help so far.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Options

Either double-click or File > Import the QFX file. Quicken will ask you where to put the transactions. This might even succeed at re-creating your deleted account.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Do you have a backup of your data file?

Using that would be the better choice.

Signature:
  • Nancy Keith
    Nancy Keith Member ✭✭
    Options

When I import the file on a daily basis, will the older transactions going back to the previous statement be duplicated? I've had this happen too often.

• BrianBD
    BrianBD Member ✭✭
    Options

This supposed work-a-round with importing QFX files is clumsy. Quicken needs to have a long conversation with Citi about fixing what used to work seamlessly.

• gkr1996
    gkr1996 Member ✭✭
    Options

I have tried for months now to set up automatic OSU for my Citi Mastercard. It cannot be done. Quicken directs me to the Citibank website to sign on. Doing so takes me to my Citi home page. I have to manually return to Quicken, which has the download arrow spinning with no result until it times out, So frustrating. OSU is really the main reason I use Quicken, and I have three different accounts (2 credit cards and 1 brokerage account) for which it will not work.

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I have no problem, and never had a problem, using OSU to download Citi VISA transactions.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

For those who are having difficulty getting your Citi Mastercard or Visa set up for downloads and are not aware: Citibank has many different connection options available. Using the Citibank financial institution for setting up and downloading CC transactions from has always been problematic for many people. For bank accounts, the Citibank financial institution is required but for CCs there are possibly other better and more reliable download connection options available.

To see the various options that are available via Add Account:

• Do NOT click on the Citi logo icon.
    • Instead, type in Citi in the search field. This will bring up a list of all the financial institutions where "citi…" is included in the name or the listed URL.
    • Perhaps the best alternative option for many (but not all) Citi CCs: Select Citi Cards and click on Advanced Options. When prompted, select Direct Connect and then enter your Citi.com login information.
    • If this does not work, perhaps there is something more unique about your CC? There are some cards that have their own special Financial Institutions for downloading from. For instance, if your Citi Mastercard is a Smart Mastercard, scroll down the list of Other Results and select the Citi Smart MasterCard financial institution. Or if you have a Citi Choice Visa, select the Citi Choice Visa financial institution. There are many other options for various Citi credit cards so if one is not working for you, scroll down the list to see if there might be another that might be more applicable for your specific CC.
    • There are also some Citi retail cards that can only be set up with and downloaded from other financial institutions that do not include "Citi" in the name (might still have "citi" in the listed URL). A couple of examples are shown in the next paragraph.

I have 4 different Citi credit cards that I download transactions for. Following is what works very well for each of them:

• Citi Cards: Costco Anywhere Visa (which can also be set up with and downloaded from Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi), Citi Rewards+ Mastercard, AT&T Universal Mastercard (which can also be set up with and downloaded from AT&T Universal Mastercard).
    • Sears Card: Sears Mastercard.

Hopefully, some will find this information helpful.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Hogie
    Hogie Member ✭✭
    Options

I am having recurring issues with my FOUR citi cards, all of which I use a lot. When I try the "Citi Card" method, clicking "Advanced Options" just takes me to the main Citi login that directs me to the citi website to authorize all my accounts. It authorizes them, I connect to my existing accounts, then nothing updates. This is pathetic. I've used Quicken for 20+ years. I'm done.

• BrianBD
    BrianBD Member ✭✭
    Options

Same continuing problem . I've tried everything. The only thing that works is a direct download of a QRX (??) file from the Citicard site and then importing into Quicken. Two sessions with Quicken humans in the Philippines failed as well. Let us know if you find a really good alternative to Quicken.

• Boatnmaniac
    Options

After you clicked on Advanced Options did you make sure to select Direct Connect instead of the default Express Web Connect BEFORE clicking on Next? If you select Direct Connect you should not be taken to the Citi website to authorize anything. It sounds to me like you might have been clicking Next without first selecting Direct Connect which would then take you to the website to authorize the Express Web Connect+ connection but that is not want you want to do.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

They have broken being able to setup with Direct Connect for Citi Cards. What's more even when it was "working" it would only work for one credit card.

Supposedly according to this announcement, it supposed to be fixed, but I just tested it in a new data file with R55.15 and it is still broken, even for one credit card.

Here is my thread on the multiple Citi Credit card problem:

Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited April 3
    Options

@Chris_QPW - Thanks for piping in here regarding Citi Cards and DC. I was traveling a lot from the middle of Feb through the 3rd week of Mar so I missed seeing that Alert. I've had 2 credit cards set up with Citi Cards and DC for a few years without any significant issues and when earlier today I tried to set up a 3rd card I found I can still select DC and was not prompted to reauthorize for EWC+. So I had assumed all was OK with DC.

But I just now tried to set up Citi Cards with DC in a test file and after selecting DC I was taken to the Citi website for EWC+ authorization….no DC connection set up was possible. And the EWC+ connection failed, as well.

Now I can see and better understand the issue. And I'm going to be very careful to not deactivate my DC connection for my 2 Citi credit cards.