Transfers Different Dates in Accounts

Options

Windows Classic: vR54.16, build: 27.1.54.16

Very common scenario:

I make a payment from my checking account at Bank X to my mortgage account at Bank Y on Tuesday, January 9th. The transaction shows as posted to Bank X on 1/9. However, the transaction is not processed and posted by Bank Y until Friday, January 12th.

When I download the transactions to my register for Bank X, I mark it as an internal transfer to Bank Y.

When I download the transactions to my register for Bank Y, I know have a duplicate transaction. If I try to do a manual match, it changes the date of the transaction in the Bank X register to 1/12. Alternately, I can keep the internal transfer, but the date is kept as 1/9, which is incorrect.

Question: Is there a way to have two different posting dates for a single transaction in the registers of two different accounts?

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2 Answer ✓
    Options

BTW one that has bothered me from time to time, is there isn't and Ctrl+A/Select All for the transactions in the register. I quite agree with @danielgullo that Quicken should adhere to the Windows standards, especially in this area where I know it can't be that hard to change and I can't see why anyone would complain about such a change.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/

Answers

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

@danielgullo - if you are taking about linked transfers then, no you cannot have two different dates.

If I have a transfer transaction that I need to maintain two separate dates for, I use a category I created called "Transfer". That way I can have two separate transactions with different dates, which sometimes is a more accurate representation of what really happened. This is especially true when you pay with a check. I include details of the transfer in the payee and memo fields.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

"@danielgullo - if you are taking about linked transfers then, no you cannot have two different dates."

Because, in Q's database, it's actually a single transaction … with 2 sides.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

The OP asks about "posting dates", not transaction date. Since they are two transactions with separate downloaded information, the posting dates can be different, what can't be different is the transaction date with transfers.

Now, maybe the OP meant transaction date so we'll need to wait for a response from them to clarify the issue.

My additional question to the OP is what do they expect to happen in this scenario. You write a paper check on 2/1 and it doesn't get cashed for 6 weeks and clears their account at the bank 3 days after that. To me, the 2/1 is the date in the register, not the date when it was cashed 6 weeks later. The posting date would be the 6 weeks + 3 days.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• QuickUserPSP
    edited March 2
    Options

@splasher I think the main question is about linked transfers and if you can have more than one post date for the transfer transaction. Since they are linked the answer is no. When the two sides of the transfer are downloaded with different posting dates, since they are linked, Quicken forces one date or the other, but not both.

• danielgullo
    danielgullo Member ✭✭
    Options

This is not a paper check.

It is an EFT payment from one bank(account) to another. It posts right away at one bank(account) but takes three days to post at the other bank(account).

It is a single transaction. So, it should be linked. The reasonable expectation is for there to be an option for the dates to reflect reality, I.e. different post dates for the two accounts in Quicken. Instead, Quicken forces you to have an incorrect date in one account or the other which is unreasonable behavior. I thought I may have overlooked something but it seems that this illogical functionality is by design or oversight.

• QuickUserPSP
    Options

@danielgullo - There is another date field that can be used to show the downloaded posting date. The Downloaded Posting Date is a column that can be added to your register. That means if you add this column it will show for every transaction in your register. There are also limitations — the downloaded posting date cannot be changed easily and cumbersome to do so. This column was originally intended for troubleshooting, but many Quicken users add this column to their registers.

To add this column, click on the "register" icon to the right of "Balance" in your register. You will see columns you can add or remove. The Downloaded Posting Date is towards the bottom.

I am not sure if having the option of two different posting dates for linked transfers has ever been requested as a product enhancement. There are many requests under Categories—>Product Ideas—>Ideas for Windows Classic. When you go into that category you will see a "New Ideas" button. Go ahead an submit your idea for a product enhancement. Then a moderator can confirm if this idea already exists. It will also give the option for users to add their vote to your product enhancement idea.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@danielgullo as others have said, for linked transactions/transfers there can only be one date. If, as I read your post, you want to have different dates then I woudl enter teh transaction twice (once in Bank X and once in Bank Y as unlinked transactions).

• danielgullo
    danielgullo Member ✭✭
    edited March 3
    Options

Yes, as you have pointed out, others have said precisely what you said. Thank you for reiterating it again… And, I know I can enter it as two different transactions. That simply describes the current functionality where we are forced to choose a suboptimal work around that is illogical and not reflective of the reality; i.e. it is NOT two separate transactions it is only ONE transaction from the perspective of two different accounts.

When I have a moment, I will submit a defect, since this is clearly NOT an expected behavior.

As a 35+ year veteran of SWDEV and now, product expert (HCD, CX, Agile/Lean), I can add that Quicken has been about 98% satisfactory to me over the last 32 years I have been using it. However, there are a few minor annoyances where you just think "WTF did they do this???" I

n addition to this issue which I have asked about, another example is the worldwide, generally accepted behavior of Ctrl-A. Probably 99.999% of the systems and applications out there follow the convention of Ctl-A = select all, as in: "When I am editing the Payee, Memo, Note, etc. field of a transaction, I would like to use Ctrl-A to select the entire existing text so I can edit the whole thing." Instead, Quicken STILL pulls up the account list, which, arguably, makes zero sense while you are editing a transaction. Why would you need the account list at that exact moment? In general, how many times during a session are you accessing the account list?? And, yes, I know that Quicken has been around since before the Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V, Ctrl-Z, etc. conventions became conventions because I have been a customer that long. It's just really obstinate to not follow what the rest of the world is doing and expecting, like insisting on reading hand-written books by candle light…

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The lack of a way to copy fields is a royal pain. There doesn't seem to be any way to copy the contents of a payee field. Nor is there a way to easily paste something into a field. For example, you want to copy a payee field from one transaction to use in another split transaction as one of the splits.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 31
    Options

From what I have seen this isn't actually true. If it was one transaction, then if you changed the memo in one it would change in the other. There are other indications that at the low/database level it is two transactions like the very fact that under buggy situations the two transactions change get unlinked. Clearly as a programmer they choose to treat it this way. But note that there is a ton of ramifications if different dates were allowed, that probably wouldn't be obvious unless someone changed the code to allow this. I wouldn't want to have the developers messing with something so fundamental to Quicken.

Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V work. Click in the field to be copied and select Ctrl+C and then select the field where you want to paste it and select Ctrl+V.

EDIT: make sure you have Edit → Preferences → Setup → Windows standard… selected.

I also think that when this preference is selected Ctrl+A should select the field, not bring up the account list. Note that Ctrl+C when in "Quicken standard" brings up the category list, so I think this falls into the same category, "The shortcuts before time" and the "modern ones". I think the main reason this hasn't been changes is all the attention is has gotten has been "hit and run" comments like above.

If you want this, I suggest that you go to the Home page on this forum and select New Post → New Idea so that people can vote on it.

I don't think there is anyone (even the Quicken developers) that would disagree with this idea, it just is one of those things that people mention and then don't do anything about.

Signature:
  • JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW

From what I have seen this isn't actually true. If it was one transaction, then if you changed the memo in one it would change in the other. There are other indications that at the low/database level it is two transactions like the very fact that under buggy situations the two transactions change get unlinked. Clearly as a programmer they choose to treat it this way. But note that there is a ton of ramifications if different dates were allowed, that probably wouldn't be obvious unless someone changed the code to allow this. I wouldn't want to have the developers messing with something so fundamental to Quicken.

In my experience it depends on the filed. The payee field for example always reflects the changes but the memo field never reflects the change (after the first entry). This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while.

• danielgullo
    danielgullo Member ✭✭
    edited April 1
    Options

The setting to use Windows Ctrl+C/V/X doesn't include Ctrl+A, which is really stubborn on the part of Intuit. I have been raising this issue for over a decade and was told by several developers at Intuit "We were here first!" meaning, Intuit decided to use Ctrl-A to bring up the account list before Ctrl-A was a convention across the entire industry to mean "select all".

Even though EVERY other application and system has evolved and accepted this standard, Quicken has decided to be special and THAT company who can't get with the program (literally). It wouldn't be too hard and would do zero harm and only good to add that over-ride to the "Use Windows" option. I almost NEVER need the accounts list but I frequently have the need to click a field and select ALL the text in it. As a SWDev for the past 35+ years, I have spent 10 hours / day, 5-6 days per week using Ctrl-A to do "select all". It is part of my unconscious competence. Yet, when I am in Quicken, I end up inadvertently pulling up the account list as I am updating transactions in my registers because of this defect in Quicken.

Apart from that, going back to my OP, I have just accepted the fact that when a transaction comes in from one of my financial institutes, which is the exact same transaction representing an EFT/ePayment going to another of my financial institutes, the posting date is going to be incorrect for one or the other since there is usually a delay in processing / posting for one of them versus the other.

For instance, if I schedule a payment with my Bank A HELOC to come out of my Bank B personal checking, the payment will post on 4/5 at Bank A but doesn't post at Bank B until 3-5 days later. Same transaction, different posting dates. Same is true for credit card payments, etc. This is a very common occurrence which is ignored by Quicken resulting in incorrect information. I have been reading from other users who have various work arounds for something that impacts almost everyone every day.

Moving on…

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@danielgullo

I almost NEVER need the accounts list but I frequently have the need to click a field and select ALL the text in it.

I find that a single mouse left-click in any field of any banking transaction selects the entire field. Investing transactions need another click.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• JoelC
    JoelC Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 1
    Options

@Rocket J Squirrel

I find that a single mouse left-click in any field of any banking transaction selects the entire field. Investing transactions need another click

Agreed!

• saberman
    saberman Member ✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW Thank you.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2 Answer ✓
    Options

BTW one that has bothered me from time to time, is there isn't and Ctrl+A/Select All for the transactions in the register. I quite agree with @danielgullo that Quicken should adhere to the Windows standards, especially in this area where I know it can't be that hard to change and I can't see why anyone would complain about such a change.

Signature:
This discussion has been closed.