Personal or Confidential Information Stored and Shared on Quicken/Intuit Servers

2»

Comments

• QuickUserPSP
    QuickUserPSP Member, Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 28

@Boatnmaniac @Chris_QPW I thank you both for your feedback. The comment about moderation of the Quicken community forum and Quicken Inc.'s responsibility for the forum is something I read a while ago. I tried searching for it in the community guidelines and in the posts, but I can't find it.

I know you both are big fans of Quicken so I understand defending Quicken. I am hoping that Quicken, Inc. will respond to my list of concerns I sent them. Their privacy policy is boiler plate language that really says that they gather a large amount of data, and the data is secure. [Removed - Inaccurate/Speculation]. Quicken provides no Opt-Out option. Their policy states that the user may limit online tracking by deleting cookies, and adjusting browser settings, and contact several entities (Facebook, Google, etc.) but it doesn't address opting out of Quicken's own data gathering practices.

Again, I will wait and see how Quicken responds.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27

@QuickUserPSP

The comment about moderation of the Quicken community forum and Quicken Inc.'s responsibility for the forum is something I read a while ago. I tried searching for it in the community guidelines and in the posts, but I can't find it.

It is here.

https://www.quicken.com/terms-of-use

Community Forums. We may include a community forum or other social features to permit members to share Content (as defined in the Quicken Membership Agreement) and information. We do not monitor and are not responsible for the content in these community forums. Please use respect when you interact with other users. Additional terms may apply. 

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• QuickUserPSP

@Rocket J Squirrel thank you. That's it.

• QuickUserPSP

I have disconnected all accounts from EWC and EWC+. A word of advice for those concerned about the security of their financial accounts - if you have any accounts using EWC, the only way to stop Quicken from accessing your accounts is to disconnect from online services. If you have any accounts that use EWC+, in addition to disconnecting from online services in Quicken, you also need to revoke the Third Party Authorizations you gave to your financial institution for Quicken. This authorization doesn't get revoked automatically when you disconnect online services in Quicken. Here is the revoked authorization for American Express -

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 28

I found another authorization at American Express for an account I rarely use. I set this account up in Quicken for testing purposes for a couple of hours on Quicken, but then deleted it 8 months ago. Any account you have even temporary set up online services for in Quicken gives them permission to access your account and collect data, until you revoke the authorization.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 28

I spoke with my Relationship Manager at WF today. [Removed - Speculation]

He had also switched to DC for Quickbooks when that same page I shared came up for him. He questioned the same things I did, and why access to all that information and data was needed.

He also has never heard anything about the move from DC to EWC+. [Removed - Speculation] As far as I know, Wells Fargo is keeping DC indefinitely. I have not heard anything to the contrary. I have searched, and the only place the migration to EWC+ for Wells Fargo is mentioned is in the Quicken support page. [Note - The Quicken Support article states that EWC migrated to EWC+ and that the change does not impact Direct Connect at this time]

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 28

I took a closer look at the link for Wells Fargo's migration to EWC+ on the Quicken Support page. I clicked on "Learn More" to get details.

Even though the link indicates it's for Wells Fargo, when you click into it, it provides information for Capital One, not Wells Fargo. This is a Capital One web page, not Wells Fargo. The Wells Fargo web page looks totally different and has totally different options to check.

And again, this is the only thing I could find about the Wells Fargo change to EWC+, but it seems even this information is incorrect.

• QuickUserPSP

Instead of redacting my comments, please respond to the e-mail I sent to Quicken. I may be wrong in what I observed, but please, again respond to my e-mail, rather than censor me.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 29

The link I provided "Changes to your Wells Fargo Account Services" is prominently displayed on the Quicken Support home page. which supposedly describes a change to the new connection method for Wells Fargo, contains no mention of Direct Connect not being affected. The support article that a moderator attached to my censored post needs to be searched for by the Quicken user, and not easily found unless the user knew that the support article existed.

If the correct information about the WF EWC+ change is contained in the support article that the moderator provided, then that article should be prominently displayed on the Quicken Support home page, not the one that is currently there that contains a screen shot for Capital One, when you click on the Wells Fargo link.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 29

Alvin from the "Office of the President" responded yesterday to my e-mail, with some general answers and I have written him back asking for clarification on certain items, including an opt-out option, and I am waiting to hear back. The information he provided for the opt-out option is confusing and contradicts what is written on their web page for the CCPA for California Residents. The exception they are allowing for me to use it doesn't make sense.

Whether you are or not a California resident, we have decided to allow other former members the ability to take advantage of the California law, we’d be more than happy to help you exercise this right.

I asked him to clarify what he means by "other former members". I was never an employee of Quicken.

I will proceed with the CCPA opt-out when I get some clarification on the exception.

Currently the only opt-out option for the Quicken user is to disconnect from online services.

None of the answers so far alleviate my concerns about having my information stored on the Intuit/Quicken servers and shared with other 3rd parties. I have disconnected all EWC and EWC+ connections. Luckily most of my accounts use DC which doesn't require information to be stored on their servers. and are working just fine. For the other accounts I disconnected, I will use WC which also doesn't require information to be stored on their servers. I have one account that doesn't have DC or WC available. For that I account I will download a CSV file and reformat it into QFX format and upload it to Quicken

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

For what it is worth, (just my opinion) the big fault is at your financial institution, not at Quicken Inc or Intuit. Here is what Chase says about the Express Web Connect + connection:

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • QuickUserPSP

@Chris_QPW the data that Quicken is gathering from user' accounts is just one of my concerns. The other is storage of personal and confidential data and data security. If you read their security policy, you see that they are collecting more than what is even listed in the screen shot you provided. My biggest concern is that they are sharing the information they collect from my accounts with 3rd parties without my consent.

I am still waiting for some clarification from Quicken before I agree to their workaround Opt-Out using CCPA.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

@QuickUserPSP I didn't post that as any kind of comment on any of your other concerns. I was simply pointing out that clearly there isn't any requirements by Express Web Connect + for the financial institutions to give out the kind of information that they are stating on their disclosures. And that is a fault of your financial institutions. I personally chock that up to "legal protect their ****", but if you want to play the game of "they are going to do everything they say in the disclosure" then I would seriously think about changing to a financial institution that understand security and privacy better.

"Chase gets it". Clearly some information has to be exchanged otherwise you get no transactions, balances, … But what needs to really be exchanged? For Express Web Connect + "no user information is needed to be exchanged" for the actual connection. You go to the financial institution's website and authorize Intuit to use a rotating security token to access their site and download the information.

Past that clearly transactions, and balances and such have to be exchanged, but there is also the need to identify the different accounts so that Quicken can keep them separate. But again, Chase "gets it", they know that all is needed is a unique "account number", not the "full real one".

Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29

@QuickUserPSP -

I asked him to clarify what he means by "other former members". I was never an employee of Quicken.

I am pretty sure what he meant by "other former members" has nothing to do with prior Quicken employees and that what he is referring to is prior Quicken users and subscription members.

Did you used to post in this Community under a different name? I have sometimes wondered because your current profile shows you just joined Community in Feb 2024 but you frequently refer to posts you'd made and threads that'd said you read long before that. Also, your style of communication and some of the things you say and how you say them seem very much like someone else who used to post in this community. Or maybe it's all just coincidence?

Anyway, if you did used to post under a different name, then maybe he cross-referenced the name you used in the email to your prior ID making him think you are a former Quicken user? Or maybe he just wrongly assumed you are a former user? I don't know….just a guess.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• QuickUserPSP

@Chris_QPW thank you for clarifying. I understand and agree with what you are saying. But again, it is the Quicken side of things I am concerned about. How they handle the information and who they share it with, without my consent.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 29

@Boatnmaniac I think are right. I used to use my real e-mail address for my Quicken ID. I no longer do that for security reasons. I think that is where the confusion lies.

I have come, gone, and come back. I get too frustrated with Quicken Inc.'s lack of communication with their users. I was a Super User, but got tired of the harassment I received from some of the Super Users. One in particular was very upset that I was made a super user without getting the required "points". He made it a point to insult me every chance he got. I voiced my concerns to the moderators, but it kept happening. I asked another super user about being compensated by getting Quicken for free. He made it a point to tell me that I would get it "if I was still around". I then told Quicken Kathryn that I no longer wanted to be a super user and left.

I then decided to come back because I still valued Quicken and wanted to help other users. But then, in August 2023 I have a major issue with my data file after updating to Beta. The file was unusable with multiple issues. After I installed Beta, part of my file would indicate "Deluxe" but If I looked at my Quicken account it would indicate I had Premier. Then I couldn't connect with any of my accounts with EWC or EWC+. I would get CC-800, CC-503, and CC 929 errors. I went the Beta coordinator and showed her screenprints from my data file and how things were severely impaired. She was not very responsive but then told me she couldn't help me and to go to Quicken Support, which I then did. That was a disaster upon disaster. I spend over a month contacting them at least twice a week. Each time they would issue a ticket but then close the ticket after the call even though the issues weren't resolved. Then I was told my issues were being escalated. I would call periodically to get a status update. Each time they would say it was being worked on. After over a month of this, I finally learned from a moderator that nothing was escalated and there was no open ticket for my issues. I was beyond angry. I posted my experience with Quicken Support, but my posts were all deleted. I was also contacted by the "Office of the President" which was pretty much the "stateside" customer service. The person there couldn't resolve any of my issues. She put me in contact with an actual Quicken programmer and I spent over an hour with him on the phone. He couldn't figure out what was going on. There was one Super User (not usually heard from, but very knowledgeable) who clued me in on what the issue was. He mentioned it in passing, but I didn't realize then that that was the issue. The fix required me to change something that is not ever talked about. The person from "The Office of the President" contacted me and I told her I fixed the issue, but I needed help in fixing a piece that I couldn't. She contacted Quicken Support and the total fix was done. I am not going to disclose the process for this fix for a good reason. After this fiasco, I was so frustrated with Quicken, I decided I had enough and left.

I have come back this last time because I guess I am a glutton for punishment. But I can tell the attempts to help other users is not much appreciated by Quicken because I no longer willing to defend Quicken and "sugar coat the truth". I have posted about several issues I've discovered in Quicken, in this forum that have are not acknowledged or go unnoticed. I see so many frustrated users here, and I can empathize because of the bad experiences I had.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Whenever I see a comment like this, I always wonder how people can "gain such trust".

If I get the feeling that I can't trust a company, then I don't see how any statement they make can be trusted.

To me it is either you trust them, or you don't.

For instance, you submit the request for a given company not to share your information. How do you confirm that they aren't doing it after that? For that matter how do you confirm that they were doing it in the first place when the statement is "may" not "we share". For all anyone knows that request could do nothing. But even if it does something, how do you check that they in fact did it right?

To me, once you go down this path of not trusting them, then there is no going back.

On top of this, you are submitting a request to Quicken Inc, nothing in that privacy statement says anything about the "third-party" as in Intuit. I don't see how a request to Quicken Inc is binding on Intuit. And between the two I would certainly trust Quicken Inc more than I do Intuit.

On the other hand, if one is considering "hacking risk" I would venture to say, "Quicken Inc's servers" are the bigger risk because as far as I can tell Intuit keeps the data for a month or so, but Quicken Inc basically keeps it all in the "Quicken Cloud Account" until at least you delete it. Why I say that? Because one thing I see that is the same from Quicken Inc's Windows developers that hasn't changed since they were at Intuit is that most of the time, they take the easiest route for any given code change. Example, attachments show up in the Quicken Cloud dataset when all you are using is Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect +. As I have stated here:

Express Web Connect/Express Web Connect + are "cloud sync" the only difference seems to be if that data is visible to the Mobile/Web apps.

And it is important to note that the "Quicken Inc servers" are in fact AWS servers.

Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 29

Ah, thanks for confirming. I think I know a couple of names you used to post under and we had some pretty good discussions back then. We SUs were surprised and saddened to hear in the Lounge that you had decided to stop being a SU, especially since we were pretty much unanimous in recommending to the Admin/Moderator team that you be made a SU. But each person needs to decide what's best for themself and then take the appropriate course of action.

Sorry to hear about all of the issues you've experienced in the past. I hope you get some resolution from the Quicken team this time that you will find to be acceptable.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R58.9 on Windows 11

• QuickUserPSP
    edited May 29

@Boatnmaniac Thank you. I appreciate your kind comments. It was unfortunate that I let the actions of a few make me lose sight of "the big picture".

At least now there is a way for me to Opt-Out and it's documented. And as Chris' post indicates, there is no way to confirm compliance. And submitting an Opt-Out for just Quicken may be futile when Intuit is also involved in data collection, and the information is stored on Quicken servers. It is a matter of trust and faith they will comply. Chris is right, it is very difficult to regain trust. I am hoping for me I will regain the trust I had. I have said my peace, and ready to move forward.

• QuickUserPSP
    edited June 7

I understand and totally agree. But at least I have done something and hopefully it will have some meaning. You are right, there is no way to verify compliance. Just blind faith that they will comply.

To know who exactly collects the data, and where the collected data resides is sometimes very confusing. If Intuit is actually the one that collects the data, but the data resides on Quicken servers hosted by AWS, who should the Opt-Out request really be directed to? So the question becomes if I submit an opt-out request, which entity is bound by that request, and will they comply? Then it again comes down to blind faith. At least I have it documented that I do not agree to their data collection and sharing.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

If Intuit is actually the one that collects the data

I assume you mean to "sell", because clearly both Intuit and Quicken Inc "collect data", that is how they have implemented the system. To me it isn't clear that either of them is selling the data, they have just stated that they "may do it".

"Non transparency" was always a hallmark of Intuit, and that changed very little when it became Quicken Inc. But even though I save "very little" I do credit Quicken Inc for being more transparent. Afterall have you ever seen anything where Intuit will send you a "dump" of the information they have gathered?

I encourage you to submit to get that information.

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP

@Chris_QPW - I have submitted an Opt-Out via CCPA. I assume I will get a dump, but is there another part of the CCPA documentation that you need to actually request the dump from?

Alvin from "The Office of the President" did follow up with me and did address my concerns, and I did really appreciate his feedback and comments. But some still linger because no one of course, can absolutely assure anyone that there personal and financial data is not going to be misused or shared. There are so many parties involved that addressing your concerns to just one of them may not mean anything.

I have done as much as I can to protect my personal and financial data when it comes to Quicken. I will no longer use EWC, or EWC+ for any accounts on Quicken. I shut off all syncing to the Quicken Cloud. Luckily, most of my accounts use DC.

I have lost trust and confidence in Quicken and as you mentioned once that happens it is very difficult or maybe impossible regain that trust. But, who knows?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭

Opting out of selling your data to third parties and getting a dump of what is collected are two completely different things:

Signature:
  • QuickUserPSP

@Chris_QPW you are right. I remember seeing the two different places you could go into. I did the opt-out. I will need to go back in and request a dump of the information. Thanks for clarifying that they are two different things.

This discussion has been closed.