reinvested dividends does not show up on a report for investment income.

James Koski
James Koski Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited July 23 in Reports (Windows)

reinvested divideds does not show up on a report for investment income. it is checked in the customized options panel?

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When you checked the report Customization options, did you also check to make sure the applicable securities and account(s) are checked? I've found that sometimes, especially with saved customized reports, when new securities and accounts are added to Quicken they are not automatically checked in various investment reports. For me, I will "Select All" on the Securities and Accounts tabs in the Customization and that usually resolves this kind of issue.

Quicken Classic Premier (US) Subscription: R59.10 on Windows 11

• James Koski

yes the security is checked. all types of transactions show on the report when I check show all except reinvested dividends.

• Boatnmaniac

Which investment report?

• James Koski

I used the investment income under reports as a start.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 20

In the Investment Income report, reinvested dividends are included on the _DivInc line.

If you double click on the number next to _DivInc, you can see the underlying transactions.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Boatnmaniac

@James Koski - Here is how ReinvDiv transactions show up in my Investment Income report:

You are not seeing something similar to this?

• Jim_Harman

@Boatnmaniac

How did you produce that report? If I go to Reports > Investing > Investment Income in R57.16, I get a summary report, not all the transaction details as you show.

• James Koski

I used the investment transaction report as a start.

• Boatnmaniac

I guess this is a bit of a mea culpa situation. I pulled up a saved report from My Saved Reports that is titled "Investment Income" but I think it is the name I gave to a different default report that I'd customized and simply named that way because it does not look like the default Investment Income report at all.

I just now pulled up the default Investment Income and double clicked on the dollar amount of _Div-Ordinary Inc category and what pops up is an Investment Transactions report for only that specific category. And it looks very much like that "Investment Income" report picture I posted above.

I think what I must have done at one time is pulled up the default Investment Transactions report and then customized it as shown in that picture I'd posted above. Then I must have saved it in My Saved Reports as "Investment Income" because for me that is what I use it for. I must have done that years ago because I just don't remember doing it. I think I'll need to rename that custom report to something like "Inv Transactions_Inv Inc" or something like that so I don't make that same .

To summarize: What I posted above is really an Investment Transactions report that has been customized, renamed and saved as "Investment Income" report. As I said, it was a mea culpa moment for me.

• Jim_Harman

OK, just to be clear a ReinvDiv Action produces a dividend with the Category of _DivInc and uses the cash to buy more shares of the security.

The _DivInc is included in the Investment Income report.

• Boatnmaniac

Are you able to see the ReinvDiv transactions now?

If not, you might want to check to see if the filters/sorts shown at the top left of the report are set the way they are shown in the picture of the report I posted above.

• James Koski

my category for all my transactions for this account is the bank part of this account. there is not category of DIVINC for this account. the ACTION field is used.

• James Koski

OK I think I have the answer. there are two different parts to this account in quicken. the bank part and the investment part. when a DIV or DIVX is declared the cash goes to the bank part first and then a second transaction to purchase the stock is entered to use the cash and reinvest the stock. when a REINVDIV is entered there is no cash and there is only one transaction entered into the investment part of this account with no CATEGORY for the transaction. there is a CATEGORY in the DIVX transaction. the CATEGORY field does not exist in the REINVDIV trnasaction on the investment side of this account.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

There isn't a Category field in an investment register because the category is explicitly tied to the action. "Dividend" will always be _Div, just as Interest will always be _Int, etc.

Only the Miscellaneous transactions have a category, because there's no explicit category for them.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• James Koski

when you select all category and all actions in the report the REINVDIV action still is not on the report.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

But the CASH of that Div is included under the DIV heading. The REINV component isn't income … it's a BUY.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• James Koski

what I am saying is the transaction does not show on the report at all. there is no cash of DIV transactions for this just REINVDIV. the transactions needs to show on the report. dividends are income no matter what you do with them in the end.

• Boatnmaniac

So you have checked to make sure the Investment Account(s) in question are selected, the Securit(ies) is selected, the Category (Div Income), the Payee(s) are selected and the Tag (Not Tagged) is selected and ReinvDiv still does not show up in the report, right?

Check the Advanced tab of the report Customization is it set up like this?:

If it is set up like this and it still is not showing the ReinvDiv transactions, then you might want to go to Edit > Preferences > Early Access > make sure both boxes are unchecked. Taking this step might not resolve the issue but it is worth trying.

• James Koski

I was able to create a report that will work but it is not exactly what I wanted. the fact that a REINVDIV has two entries for the transaction is little unsettling.

• Boatnmaniac

So you are getting a Div transaction AND and a ReinvDiv transaction for the very same dividend distribution event?

If so, that should not be happening. That would not be a Quicken issue. Quicken only enters the data that the financial institution downloads to it. So that means the investment company is downloading it that way and you should contact the investment company to request them to correct it going forward.

If that is what is happening you can get the report to more accurately reflect the dividend distributions by either deleting the Div transactions or changing the ReinvDiv transactions to BoughtX transactions. Then the distributions events will be no longer be double counted in the report. I would probably check the transactions data in the online account or as reported in statements to see how the investment company is really doing the transactions and then do the edits mentioned in this paragraph to match what they are actually doing. It's not a fix but it would then make the report more accurate.

BTW, I'm curious….who is the investment company and what type of account are you having this issue with?

• James Koski

there are two lines on the report in quicken. the first one has a no category, has the security name, date, account name, symbol, action and the reinvestment info. the second line on the report just has the symbol, category of DIVINC, and the amount.

• Jim_Harman

As I said above,

a ReinvDiv Action produces a dividend with the Category of _DivInc and uses the cash to buy more shares of the security.

There is no Category for the share purchase because it is neither an income nor an expense.

This produces two lines in the Investment Transaction report, one for each low level transaction. The Category you are seeing is _DivInc, not DIVINC, right?

This discussion has been closed.